• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying unnecessary on-train announcements - a rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
I can't agree with you at all on this one. It's very judgemental to tar everyone from those areas with the same brush. I don't find the "clientèle" of the Kirkby line too bad actually. Parts of Fazakerley are very pleasant and not everyone who boards at Rice Lane or Kirkby is a troublemaker by any means.

More significantly, you get these sorts of people in just the same (or higher) numbers on almost any suburban rail network in the country. Some of the types I've seen on the London Overground North London and Watford lines you wouldn't believe. That doesn't mean everyone who uses those services is like that, though.

Furthermore, I don't see what this has to do with the initial point - the main problems are capacity and (external) cleanliness.


Sorry if I strayed off into another area with that digression, but I was just continuing on from your remarks about the scruffy state of the trains on Merseyrail so I merely pointed out that they were scruffy because some people just don't respect their surroundings, hence I brought up the subject of certain sectors of society leaving their calling cards behind. I can't deny that they exist though, but I do my best to tolerate them, I guess.

Re: Capacity - Six car trains are pretty rare at the best of times (I think only TWO train diagrams on the Chester route and ONE on the West Kirby route is comprised of a six car formation..... )

When the new trains arrive though, it's anybody's guess what sort of seating arrangement they may have - is it 2 abreast or a reversion to the original high-density 3 + 2 abreast that the 507/508s originally had before their 2005/6 refurbishment programmes reduced the seating....?

One can only speculate.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I don't know if things have improved on the Merseyrail bus replacement services, but the first time I had to use one, from Hall Road into Liverpool, there was no information whatsoever about which station we were stopping at. I nearly missed Moorfields completely because the driver stopped for about 15 seconds, engine running, then set off again as I dashed to the front of the bus gasping "is this Moorfields?".

I did email Bart Wossisname about that, and got a reply from his secretary to say my comments had been noted.

In this situation I'm sure most people who are used to train travel but perhaps never use the bus would really appreciate the driver announcing where we were.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
6-cars are allocated as follows: morning peak - five on Southport, three on Ormskirk, two on Chester, one on West Kirby. Evening peak - six on Southport, two on Ormskirk, one on Chester, one on West Kirby.

What I've been saying for years (and am fed up with repeating myself) is that the Southport line, as it is the busiest route and used by more leisure travellers than any other line off-peak, should have 6-cars every day both during the peaks and between them. Off-peak, trains almost always have at least one direction where they are very heavily used, too much for 3-cars. The Southport line also carries a large number of bicycles, the 6-cars offering far more space for these also. The biggest problem is on Saturdays. Though they normally use 6-cars between July and September (although they haven't yet this year), 3-cars are just not enough during other months.

While other lines also need improvement, the Southport line is noticeably worse than the others. Ideally, if they were to do what they've been saying for years and acquire some/all of the unused 508s in Eastleigh and Telford, they could add many more pairs. Southport all day 6-cars requires three units more than normal service, so there is room to add another 6-car for Ormskirk and West Kirby as well. The difference this would make to capacity is massive and would make me a regular "customer" again.
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
I don't know if things have improved on the Merseyrail bus replacement services, but the first time I had to use one, from Hall Road into Liverpool, there was no information whatsoever about which station we were stopping at. I nearly missed Moorfields completely because the driver stopped for about 15 seconds, engine running, then set off again as I dashed to the front of the bus gasping "is this Moorfields?".

I did email Bart Wossisname about that, and got a reply from his secretary to say my comments had been noted.

In this situation I'm sure most people who are used to train travel but perhaps never use the bus would really appreciate the driver announcing where we were.

Rail replacement bus services are frankly a law unto themselves.... don't even get me started on them. Not even Merseyrail can work them out!!!
;)
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,982
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I often wonder why Merseyrail trains only have overhead luggage space on one side of the coach. I always seem to end up sitting on the side that doesn't have any, and with the facing seats layout there is very little room on the floor if you have more luggage than just a handbag.

Lol this is turning into a let's bash Merseyrail night!
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
6-cars are allocated as follows: morning peak - five on Southport, three on Ormskirk, two on Chester, one on West Kirby. Evening peak - six on Southport, two on Ormskirk, one on Chester, one on West Kirby.

What I've been saying for years (and am fed up with repeating myself) is that the Southport line, as it is the busiest route and used by more leisure travellers than any other line off-peak, should have 6-cars every day both during the peaks and between them. Off-peak, trains almost always have at least one direction where they are very heavily used, too much for 3-cars. The Southport line also carries a large number of bicycles, the 6-cars offering far more space for these also. The biggest problem is on Saturdays. Though they normally use 6-cars between July and September (although they haven't yet this year), 3-cars are just not enough during other months.

While other lines also need improvement, the Southport line is noticeably worse than the others. Ideally, if they were to do what they've been saying for years and acquire some/all of the unused 508s in Eastleigh and Telford, they could add many more pairs. Southport all day 6-cars requires three units more than normal service, so there is room to add another 6-car for Ormskirk and West Kirby as well. The difference this would make to capacity is massive and would make me a regular "customer" again.



Agree. Your points are completely valid. Have you put any of your grievances - and suggestions - to Merseyrail, like I do so frequently?
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Many times, believe me. Diddly-squat so far. I know I'm not the only one unhappy about the overcrowding, either - it came up in their survey of a couple of years ago.
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
I often wonder why Merseyrail trains only have overhead luggage space on one side of the coach. I always seem to end up sitting on the side that doesn't have any, and with the facing seats layout there is very little room on the floor if you have more luggage than just a handbag.

Lol this is turning into a let's bash Merseyrail night!

Re: the luggage racks, perhaps they assume that the taller passengers can sit on one side of the train so that they don't bang their heads when they stand up. :lol:
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
They claim there is additional space between the seat backs, although I wouldn't want to use it with luggage out of sight. Why the racks are now only on one side, I don't understand.
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
Many times, believe me. Diddly-squat so far. I know I'm not the only one unhappy about the overcrowding, either - it came up in their survey of a couple of years ago.


Oh, right.... what rankles with me a little is that on the issue of new rolling stock, which was initially slated in for 2014, which would be exactly 35 years since the 507s first rolled off the production line (entering service on the Northern line in early 1980), but now probably 2015-16 at the earliest.... the TOC couldn't say whether the trains were going to be higher or lower capacity. There is only one option and it is clear....any less seating would be sheer madness (look at the way XC went from HST sets to those rubbish 4 car Voyagers for example, higher frequencies notwithstanding).
 

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
Welcome to this C2C RAIL service.
Helpful for those who might think they've got on a bus I suppose.
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
2017 at the earliest it is now, as they have extended the lease of the 507/8s until at least then. I don't mind this as I do like the 507 design a lot. They're perfect for what they do and all that is needed for now is more coaches and more TLC. The 507s could go on for many more years now that they've been refurbished to a high standard. Withdrawing a large fleet of trains with a PIS and modern high-backed seating any time soon seems a massive waste.

The 507s entered service in November 1978, so they are likely to be close to or reach the big 40 before they get replaced.
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,725
There was a wonderful glimpse of station announcements as they used to be last weekend at Sheffield station when the automated announcements and info screens went down.

No robovoice barking health and safety b*ll*cks about security personnel, unattended luggage and rollerblading every few seconds, just a human voice calmly announcing the only information passengers needed to know - ie what platform their train was leaving from. It was a great disappointment when the automated system was back up and running by Sunday teatime!
 

krisk

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
347
If people travelled with the correct tickets do you think that there would be a need for such long pre-departure announcements. By having to make it crystal clear to people what you can and can not use then there is no reason for being on the wrong ticket type unless you need to travel there and then and are happy to pay.

Re: catering announcements. As we no longer have menus we have to announce what we have available and also the order that a service is delivered so that people are aware of what is served and when ie is toast sent prior to or after the breakfast delivery? We are also asked to mention the free range and organic products we use too, where you can locate a newspaper and where we store bottled water. If we didnt advertise the menu then every person would probably ask "what do you have" which in turn slows down the service for everyone. My announcements are the food choices, order of service, a reminder of the food choices again and that I am now coming to take your order, please have your selection ready for me so that we can provide you and efficient service. All done in a pleasant way but also thorough and clear.

I don't like automated announcements, I think it takes away the personal touch of the railway and whilst it serves an occasional purpose, 2hr+ of a computerised voice isn't pleasant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just as an afterthought I do also mention to people in first class and those working the shop to use the PA zone control and keep it for that section only.
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
I do like the DB announcements that tell you what platform to go to for connecting trains. Usually in English as well as German!

What do I want to be announced?

- (BEFORE WE LEAVE - not afterwards!) this is the train for London (I may have got on the wrong train)
- we shall shortly be stopping at Bogthorpe (I may have nodded off!)
- change here for Little Walloping, a connecting service will leave from platform 1 at 19:30
- the buffet is open
- the loos are not working
- we are 10 minutes late due to x
- we are waiting for a platform/signal
- we have broken down, an engineer is on their way and should be here in x minutes
 

krisk

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
347
Sounds pretty reasonable. Do you think we should mention CCTV is in use. May it mean a reduction in thefts if someone who clocks a phone left on a table then swipes it. Would they think twice knowing their actions are on camera?
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
I do like the DB announcements that tell you what platform to go to for connecting trains. Usually in English as well as German!

What do I want to be announced?

- (BEFORE WE LEAVE - not afterwards!) this is the train for London (I may have got on the wrong train)
- we shall shortly be stopping at Bogthorpe (I may have nodded off!)
- change here for Little Walloping, a connecting service will leave from platform 1 at 19:30
- the buffet is open
- the loos are not working
- we are 10 minutes late due to x
- we are waiting for a platform/signal
- we have broken down, an engineer is on their way and should be here in x minutes

I quite agree. A general idea of what is going on would be very helpful, and putting things clearly and succinctly would be even better.

"This is the 09:48 to London Victoria, calling at Chuffnell Regis, Steeple Bumpleigh, Bogthorpe, Market Snodsbury and Clapham Junction."

No more, no less, this is what we need to know.
 

SqUaShIe P

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
183
Location
England
I think sometimes conductors and drivers cant win. Theres been times on my train when passengers have said my annoucements are too loud, then in the next carriage someone will say they couldnt hear it. And theres been times where passengers have said the announcement is too long, and again, you go down a few carriages and someone say they are very good. I cant speak for every member of train crew, but all I do is read off a script, So I dont have much choice over how much I say or how often I say it. Its impossible to keep everyone happy.
Theres been a few times ive been on a train, the trains been delayed and no announcement is made at all. That annoys me
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,938
Location
UK
Well, there's probably a reason and it isn't the fault of the guard/driver.. walk through a train and see how many carriages have different volume levels! Clearly this isn't likely to be a setting and a maintenance issue (faulty wiring, bad speakers etc) but I've been on many services like this - albeit older trains.

I've also been on very new trains with other CIS issues (like the NXEA 379s, albeit screen issues not the audio system) so if someone is moaning that an announcement is too quiet or too loud, you may wish to make a note in the fault book!!
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
I think sometimes conductors and drivers cant win. Theres been times on my train when passengers have said my annoucements are too loud, then in the next carriage someone will say they couldnt hear it. And theres been times where passengers have said the announcement is too long, and again, you go down a few carriages and someone say they are very good. I cant speak for every member of train crew, but all I do is read off a script, So I dont have much choice over how much I say or how often I say it. Its impossible to keep everyone happy.
Theres been a few times ive been on a train, the trains been delayed and no announcement is made at all. That annoys me

Don't worry, you can't please everybody all the time. For all you and I know, there might be a tourist on board who will be very grateful for all this information, and I'm just airing a pointless gripe. Besides, it's the writer who should be blamed for a bad line, not the reader.
 

SqUaShIe P

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
183
Location
England
Don't worry, you can't please everybody all the time. For all you and I know, there might be a tourist on board who will be very grateful for all this information, and I'm just airing a pointless gripe. Besides, it's the writer who should be blamed for a bad line, not the reader.
I totally agree with you. On an peak services, you might have 99% of the people on board travel on trains everday, and probably know all the announcements word for word, but then you might have a handful of passengers that dont travel often or might be tourists, but the information would be very useful to them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top