• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying unnecessary on-train announcements - a rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Had another classic computer fail on my service today

On a TPE to York, we had called at Huddersfield as per normal and was heading for Dewsbury - on the approach to Dewsbury we got "we are now approaching Huddersfield..." - I didn't quite catch what it said when the doors opened but quite why it had mucked up so much I'm not sure as it announced Huddersfield fine when we were there from what I recall (and the station calls after we left there)

The posts about the catering trolley reminds me of a time on an XC (I think, if not it was VT) service where the retail service manager was making the usual drone about the catering on board and listed just about every type of alcohol on board...this carried on for a couple of station calls and I did hear a fellow passenger pass comment about the amount of emphasis he was putting on alcohol!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Do they really think Al Qaeda are having meetings saying “I know how we can cause mass devastation – let’s bomb the 0917 Hull to Bridlington stopper!”

I think Northern might have this view. I can only recall once ever hearing a security announcement on services on that line! On the morning it was announced that Osama Bin Laden was dead, there seemed to be a very worried tone in the guard's voice too! I did overhear a couple of people chuckling and commenting about how unlikely they thought this would be.

On a related note, in the summer season I have heard announcements along these lines:

"We are now arriving in Bridlington, please remember to take all your luggage, parcels, buggies, children, pets, and don't forget your bucket and spade! Thank you for travelling with Northern, enjoy your day!"

Thats the kind of local and seasonal knowledge which gives a good manual announcement the edge over an automated one. Or this one, I cant imagine this exists in any pre recorded announcements?!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that both of the toilets on this train are not particularly pleasant today. We have now arrived in Bridlington, and this service is booked to wait here for around 11 minutes, so if anyone would prefer to use the toilets on the station now is the time to go!"
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I think Northern might have this view. I can only recall once ever hearing a security announcement on services on that line! On the morning it was announced that Osama Bin Laden was dead, there seemed to be a very worried tone in the guard's voice too! I did overhear a couple of people chuckling and commenting about how unlikely they thought this would be.

On a related note, in the summer season I have heard announcements along these lines:

"We are now arriving in Bridlington, please remember to take all your luggage, parcels, buggies, children, pets, and don't forget your bucket and spade! Thank you for travelling with Northern, enjoy your day!"

Thats the kind of local and seasonal knowledge which gives a good manual announcement the edge over an automated one. Or this one, I cant imagine this exists in any pre recorded announcements?!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that both of the toilets on this train are not particularly pleasant today. We have now arrived in Bridlington, and this service is booked to wait here for around 11 minutes, so if anyone would prefer to use the toilets on the station now is the time to go!"

I don't think anyone will argue that those types of announcements are good.

It's the constant repetition of wordy, irritating message about keeping bags with you, not smoking, minding the gap between the train and the platform edge, made by bored machine like voices that are guaranteed toe nsure that people stop listening to them, rather defeatign the prup[ose int he first place!
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
Before I start, let me just say sorry for not noticing this extremely insightful forum earlier. For some strange reason only known to myself, I've only just discovered the existence of this messageboard today. Heaven only knows why/how I didn't come across it earlier as I like to believe that I am one of the most fiercely outspoken critics of our railways.....and I have yet to come across any others who have quite as many grievances as I harbour over the sheer incompetence at every single level of railway management that we have had to deal with ever since the onset of privatisation all of 16 years ago.

Over the years, I have written countless letters to TOCs and Network Rail (and Railtrack before them) - over 200 in fact - lambasting them and offering savage criticism (or, in some rare cases, rare appraisals) for what I consider major failings in their day to day operations etc... and the issue of automated station and on-board-train announcements is without a doubt by far my biggest bugbear and pet hate.

So much so that I have since launched several one-man campaigns railing against the sheer pointlessness of this whole farcical exercise and even written to celebrated railway columnist Christian Wolmar on several occasions (last few times out on his website), providing him with my own printed findings from several passenger surveys I have carried out over the last four years competely of my own initiative to gauge passenger's views and opinions of these various issues...and indeed gaining some very intriguing results which I have put to various operators such as Merseyrail, Northern Rail, Virgin Trains and Trans-Pennine Express - most of which I use very regularly as I work in three different locations and am always darting back and forth via train between Liverpool, Manchester and Glossop.

Much of my righteous anger and disapproval is aimed at Manchester Piccadilly station in particular where there are apparently no less than TWENTY ONE different security and 'nannying' announcements now in operation (two new ones have just been added, bringing the total to this) emanating from that much-despised AWW that they have deployed at this station and several others such as Leeds, Sheffield and Liverpool Lime Street.

I have been in touch several times with the various station managers and divisional directors, even having face to face meetings with them on a few occasions (with Merseyrail at Lime Street, and also Manchester Piccadilly's Network Rail offices) raising the issue of such wantonly excessive and intrusive announcements, pointing out to them that not only is it completely counter-productive to have so many of them repeated at a frankly alarming rate each hour, but it also constitutes a noise pollution menace. Sadly, most of them continue to inhabit their own particular ivory towers and do not see it as a problem, citing the need to 'keep passengers informed' as paramount. Perhaps it has completely escaped their notice that it's not so much a case of keeping passengers 'informed', as to keep them 'harassed'....

I have even started a few blogs online (albeit tentatively - there are no Facebook campaigns set up yet but it may well be that I should implement one in due course if that is going to be the only way to get more disgruntled train users to join up and spearhead a proper campaign once and for all) but what gets me as much as this whole depressing situation is the fact that most commuters are so apathetic and lazy to get off their backsides to complain and raise their hands that I often resign myself to the fact that they deserve all they get through their lack of passion...content to just sit/stand by and let somebody else (i.e. usually me) to campaign vociferously in an army of one. Well that ain't good enough because one person alone cannot start a revolution can they?

Anyway, check this link for a YouGov article I started last year discussing what change in the law I would like to see implemented: I suggested that we should have a new piece of legislation banning or restricting the over-excessive use of pointless health and safety/security announcements at stations etc..... It's just a shame that, as with anything, there aren't enough people seeing these items to make the campaign suggestion worthwhile....

http://www.govyou.co.uk/vastly-redu...necessary-noise-pollution-menace/#comment-483


Re: Merseyrail

As a regular user of the Merseyrail system over the last 30 years now, I have voiced my thoughts and opinions regularly to the managerial department of customer relations - namely Merseyrail marketing directors such as Rudi Boersma and Bart Schmeink who actually appreciate a lot of my feedback and have actually acted on some of my suggestions - such as removing the automatic tendency to use that nauseatingly overfamiliar and cliched phrase "would like to apologise for any inconvenience" and start learning to use the word 'sorry' again as it sounds more sincere and, more importantly, human. THis is based on several passenger surveys I carried out on no less than TWENTY TWO DIFFERENT RAIL ROUTES around Merseyside and Greater Manchester over a six year period asking people for their views - and a whopping 76 percent of of the 6,877 passengers I questioned admitted quite openly that the phrase was one of their biggest bugbears....along with the excessive announcements.

Compare that with the useless "passenger satisfaction surveys" that TOCs like to foist upon us at regular intervals all in the name of simply keeping up appearances and you can see quite easily how it is often the voice of the people - when questioned by one of their own instead of a faceless marketing/public relations bod - that really counts for everything.

Thus it's been quite rewarding to discover that several months of tireless campaigning and pushing on my part at Merseyrail to revise their agenda has borne positive outcomes regarding the use of this annoyingly trite phrase being used very little nowadays - unlike with other TOCs elsewhere!

However, since their new Marketing bod Karl Clawley joined up a year ago (he has since departed to another company already....funny that!) Merseyrail appear to have done themselves no favours at all by implementing several extra - and thus pointless - new health and safety announcements on board the trains. This time they have used the existing voice computer that lists all the stations en route to nanny us about lifts, escalators and which side to stand on [holding the hand rail!!!] when using them as the train pulls through the Liverpool Loop section between James Street and Central stations. Furthermore, it's pointless because the noise from the train travelling through the single track tunnel along this stretch is so unbearably deafening (screeching wheels and flanges - blame Network Rail for this after they've messed up the tracks) you can't hear the soddin' announcement anyway, so that's a bit of an own goal isn't it?

So as you can see, it's a never ending minefield this health and safety announcements lark, isn't it? But if somebody can set the wheels in motion for the powers that be to finally wake up and take notice of the simple fact that it is high time they stopped treating us people like they are stupid, then things might just one day change for the better and we can get a little bit of peace and quiet back - in between the incessant barrage of bloody automated computer-generated noise that harrasses us over every step that we care to take when we go about our day to day routines.....

Yes, this is a massive first post from me, but I hope some people can see exactly what I'm getting at here, because this whole subject really does rankle big time with me.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Boppawombat's Blog said:
Bring back real people to do the announcements and let's have some humanity restored to our daily lives for goodness sakes!!

You're willing to pay for this I assume? It won't be cheap employing an army of people to sit in cupboards all day behind a microphone. Automated station announcements are much clearer and more concise than the majority of manual station announcers, although I will admit there are a few good ones around but many are just mumblers.

Is your life is really so perfect that the only thing that really gets you wound up is a bit of background noise you can easily ignore? :|
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
You're willing to pay for this I assume? It won't be cheap employing an army of people to sit in cupboards all day behind a microphone. Automated station announcements are much clearer and more concise than the majority of manual station announcers, although I will admit there are a few good ones around but many are just mumblers.

Is your life is really so perfect that the only thing that really gets you wound up is a bit of background noise you can easily ignore? :|

Who said my life was perfect? Did I say that it was the only thing? NO! Everything about the railways in this country now riles me....it's mismanaged pure and simple..... I'm only stating MY opinion.

Oh, and you're telling me it's cheaper to spend 20, 30 grand [which is what it costs] on an automated system that HAS TO BE INPUT BY HUMAN BEINGS BECAUSE COMPUTERS DO NOT PROGRAMME THEMSELVES DO THEY? instead of employing a muppet to be able to speak into a microphone for half of that cost without getting too bored....aw poor dears, whatever happened to the art of HUMAN communication eh?

You know what I'm saying??

YES - I say DO let us bring back a bit of humanity into this increasingly soulless rail-travelling world in which we're all part of. Starting with these announcements that well and truly get up SO MANY PEOPLE'S backs - maybe you're immune to it, but for the rest of us, it is a genuine pain in the backside - even the STAFF who work at the stations say so. My findings actually quite clearly show this!

Perhaps you enjoy this intimidating climate of control and nannying that exists at every available corner into which you turn? I assume you also like the idea of lamp-posts that speak to you and toilets that prattle on at you for five minutes when you just want to have a crap or a piddle in peace for just one minute? If yes, then please get yourself to Liverpool South Parkway Station where the infamous talking toilet (featured on YouTube) surely awaits.

I have a couple of business colleagues from Belgium who come over here every couple of months and they spend a lot of time LAUGHING at the sheer absurdity of how our railway stations and trains are run, you know. That makes me feel deeply embarrassed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am not averse to announcements on trains - as long as they are relevant. What I dislike is Merseyrail's on-train "take care on the escalators and hold the handrail" nonsense....:roll:

I hear you! Cos I use Merseyrail all the time and I am constantly giving the managers feedback as to how well or badly they are performing (I work for Merseytravel- one of my three part time jobs).

If you want something even more ridiculous, you should visit Liverpool South Parkway station, it has the notorious talking toilet - which witters on for more than four minutes - as if the very fact that you want to use that facility for your convenience is at their INCONVENIENCE.......

push this button for the toilet roll....press that one for the soap, press this one for the running water...press that one for the dryer and soap dispenser...no smoking is allowed in the public convenience.....cctv is installed for your security (WHAT? YOU SPYING ON ME NOW YOU *******S???!!)...you have ten minutes to use this facility before it self-cleans itself (so if you decide to stay put do you get an absolute soaking then? Or do some malicious dwarves appear from below the toilet seat brandishing brooms and scrubbers and proceed to attack your feet??)..blah blah blah......blah blah blah.... :lol:
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,533
Location
LBK
I am sorry to announce that I skim read that rant. AlterEgo would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.


Really, aren't there bigger things to get angry about? If you're that passionate about announcements on stations, why not work full time for a TOC?

By the way, I happen to agree that there are too many announcements these days - but I have bigger fish to fry....
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
(screeching wheels and flanges - blame Network Rail for this after they've messed up the tracks) .


You know what, I agree with a lot of your post. Maybe not to the same level of passion (or irritation) but the general gist is there. I would like to know, however, how did Network Rail mess up the tracks to induce such noise? Because such noise is unfortunately inevitable on sharp, low speed curves with minimal cant, and lubrication can only do so much.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
Once the data is fed into a computer for the announcers and screens, it should - in theory - run itself. When there are delays, bar the actual reason, all of the above should update and inform people. It gets a data feed that is always going to beat a real person at every station trying to find out what is happening, and can cope with different announcements on different platforms simultaneously.

Of course, at some stations, a manual announcer on standby is essential (like a large terminus) but at every rural station?

I'd like all stations to be staffed, if only for security and revenue protection, but someone doing announcements would have to be additional.. along with the ticket staff. Suddenly a rural station with virtually no usage off-peak is going to cost a fortune. You know what, if the tax payer won't fund that, the station would end up closing.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Oh, and you're telling me it's cheaper to spend 20, 30 grand [which is what it costs] on an automated system that HAS TO BE INPUT BY HUMAN BEINGS BECAUSE COMPUTERS DO NOT PROGRAMME THEMSELVES DO THEY? instead of employing a muppet to be able to speak into a microphone for half of that cost without getting too bored....aw poor dears, whatever happened to the art of HUMAN communication eh?

Yes. One automated announcement system can cover a hundred stations simultaneously, with multiple zoned announcements at stations. For example, at Clapham Junction one automated system can do what would require about 5 manual announcers, working on shifts so a total of about 15 salaried staff! There will be a small staff of people operating the system from a central control room (this usually includes the CIS screens as well), but largely modern automated systems, as Jon says, mostly run themselves.

You really need to calm down. I've never seen so much anger at something so trivial.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Don't frighten people. I've used LPY talking toilets several times and there is nothing in the announcement about CCTV. My only concern is that someone won't realise it self-cleans between use, and go in as someone comes out and get a soaking. Not sure of the extent of the cleaning process but it sounds very water-wasting.
 

dviner

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
246
Because a lot of people who know bloody well that they shouldn't smoke on the train will nip into the toilet and try and sneak in a crafty fag, thus setting off the fire alarms, which in some stock causes an emergency brake application leading to massive disruption and delays. The point needs to be rammed home before some people will take it on board.

Automatic smoke-triggered sprinklers in the toilets might be a solution. Doesn't have to be a full deluge, just a serious misting should do the job...
 
Last edited:

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
I am sorry to announce that I skim read that rant. AlterEgo would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.


Really, aren't there bigger things to get angry about? If you're that passionate about announcements on stations, why not work full time for a TOC?

By the way, I happen to agree that there are too many announcements these days - but I have bigger fish to fry....


Well, you're close. I work with one of the public transport organisations
( Merseytravel ) and I have lots of six monthly review meetings with the Merseyrail staff. In fact I like to think that a lot of my critical feedback is having a POSITIVE effect on some particular issues. So THAT in effect IS me putting my 'rants' as you all call them to constructive use.

Unlike the majority of commuters who just grin and bear it and then wonder why nothing ever gets done when their season ticket prices soar skywards yet again... you don't get this kind of thing happening in France for instance. WE should take a leaf out of their books, seriously.







--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


You know what, I agree with a lot of your post. Maybe not to the same level of passion (or irritation) but the general gist is there. I would like to know, however, how did Network Rail mess up the tracks to induce such noise? Because such noise is unfortunately inevitable on sharp, low speed curves with minimal cant, and lubrication can only do so much.

Network Rail removed the old reinforced rubberised track that was put in place by 'forward-thinking' British Rail engineers when the Liverpool Loop Line was first constructed between 1972-1976. This was introduced so that the train noise would not disturb the goings on taking place in St. George's Hall which lies directly above the short stretch of underground tunnel that leads to Lime Street deep level station (St George's Hall still had the main court chambers back then before the new magistrates' building in Derby Square entailed the mass transfer of everything over to the new premises).

Over the years of course general wear and tear of the trains meant that the rubberised track was nearing the end of its life, and it was no longer feasible to replace it with like for like, so Railtrack and latterly Network Rail had to remove it and lay down standard steel rail instead. HOWEVER, despite repeated engineering work (which continues to this day - twice yearly every year, on and off seemingly for ever), the contractors have failed to realise that the steeply curved section of the Liverpool Loop requires the tracks to be canted INWARDS.

So they just went ahead and engineered the Loop tracks on the cheap - without allowing for a greater canting of the track bed, which would then help the trains to tilt a little more as they pass through. This oversight, as a consequence, has created enormous strain on the outer rail as trains tend to lean outwards as they traverse this Loop section between James Street via Central and back again via James Street, accounting for the hideous squealing that is experienced as the trains traverse the Loop in the Moorfields -> Lime Street -> Liverpool Central stretches.





--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Automatic smoke-triggered sprinklers in the toilets might be a solution. Doesn't have to be a full deluge, just a serious misting should do the job...


I've always said that this is a great solution! If everything else fails, just humiliate the buggers by giving them a good soaking when they light up be it on trains or even coaches/buses. If the sprinkler systems were designed to aim precise jets of water at the offenders, we should then employ them atop every single back seat on buses upstairs and down as well! What fun it would be! :lol:

I'd rather direct action such as this than endless pathetic automated announcements informing of same that most people simply ignore anyway. :D
 
Last edited:

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
Interesting. I never knew that specialised track was laid initially, sounds like something needs to be looked at. Laying track incorrectly just makes more maintenance inevitable.
 

mralexn

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2010
Messages
462
LOL! :D I agree with you, actually, even if I have to make these announcements myself! There is a government body known as 'TRANSEC' which monitors transport security. Guards are given a 'script' for a security announcement which covers the luggage and suspicious people stuff, which we are suposedly required to read out over the intercom "at principal stations and every 30 minutes throughout the journey". I agree that some of it is stupid, particularly the bit about keeping luggage with you - so you get on, your put your suitcase in the luggage rack provided and then, err, it's no longer 'with you', so are you now a security hazard?!! It is, sadly, nanny state over-zealous paranoia, but such is the world today! I generally modify mine and tone it down a little, leaving out the suspicous people rubbish - that's half the train usually! :) I'll confess to annoucning where coach A is, and asking people to keep the gangways clear for the trolley, but I try to keep it as brief as possible and I don't do it at every stop. I also leave the 'mind the gap' etc for just the big stations, cos it becomes a little insulting to repeat the same thing at every station!

As for the no smoking stuff, I leave that for when someone is hiding in the bog having a sly puff, and then make sure the whole train knows about it and can embarrass the hell out of them by all having a good look as the cheeky bugger comes out again, hehe!! ;)


you have to do the announcement "every 30 mins throughout the journey" ? does that apply to all TOCS? if so how stupid would you feel on say, the Non stop Kings cross to York, making the announcement for no real reason at all, and also a "bike" is considered luggage but most of the time thats put in the guards van, so does that mean you will have to stay in the guards van for the whole journey :P "puts bike in rear powercar" ^_^
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Unlike the majority of commuters who just grin and bear it and then wonder why nothing ever gets done when their season ticket prices soar skywards yet again... you don't get this kind of thing happening in France for instance. WE should take a leaf out of their books, seriously.

SNCF have an Autoannouncer installed on all stations.

Example
[youtube]sbDwzNN2PuA[/youtube]
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
SNCF have an Autoannouncer installed on all stations.

Example
[youtube]sbDwzNN2PuA[/youtube]

I wonder if they [the auto announcers on SCNF] bang on about all manner of petty trivial 'elf 'n' safety' baloney as much as our UK train operators do though...... ;)
 

Via Bank

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2010
Messages
761
Location
London
Oh, and you're telling me it's cheaper to spend 20, 30 grand [which is what it costs] on an automated system that HAS TO BE INPUT BY HUMAN BEINGS BECAUSE COMPUTERS DO NOT PROGRAMME THEMSELVES DO THEY?

That's not programming themselves, that's automatically gathering data from existing sources (like, ooh, I don't know? A TIMETABLE or THE TRACK CIRCUITS) and reformatting it without human intervention as audio-visual passenger information.

Via Bank--apologises for any inconvenience this--truth--has caused to your--rabidly preposterous diatribe.
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
I remember the good old days of 101s on the Hope Valley Line. If the Guard needed to communicate anything to the passengers he/she used to come down the train and tell us. No PA system!

I was actually looking forward to travelling on the Merseyrail system for the first time in about 10 years, but now I've heard that there are endless announcements on the trains it has put me off a bit.
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
That's not programming themselves, that's automatically gathering data from existing sources (like, ooh, I don't know? A TIMETABLE or THE TRACK CIRCUITS) and reformatting it without human intervention as audio-visual passenger information.

Via Bank--apologises for any inconvenience this--truth--has caused to your--rabidly preposterous diatribe.


Very funny.

Each to their own, I say. :)


Many of these automated systems also have a tendency to malfunction and break down. Which of course is something you don't get with a human being who KNOWS what the frig they are doing.

Comprendez??

Maybe you like the Big Brother society we are now living in where every step you take is being CCTV monitored and you're being told what to do and what not to do by dictatorially soulless faceless mechanical machines? Well it's not the life for me mate.




--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I remember the good old days of 101s on the Hope Valley Line. If the Guard needed to communicate anything to the passengers he/she used to come down the train and tell us. No PA system!

I was actually looking forward to travelling on the Merseyrail system for the first time in about 10 years, but now I've heard that there are endless announcements on the trains it has put me off a bit.


There are more ON BOARD the trains now than there are at the stations.
These are mainly automated in general, but then again when you get to the underground sections and interchange stations the announcements are - get this - DUPLICATED by human and computerised voices.... so each announcement about changing at X or Y station is repeated unnecessarily IMO.

Those like me who use the trains every day will attest to that.
 
Last edited:

jrhilton

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2009
Messages
116
SWT used to have way too many on their suburban routes. Between Wimbledon and Waterloo it was especially bad when heading out of London because of the rapid succession of stations and the announcements saying all the stops the train was going to do, and there was usually one on the platform going off too, plus a few security ones for good measure.

After a campaign by MP David Willetts and others plus lots of passenger complaints, they seem to have got rid of almost all of them now, not sure about the non-suburban routes though.

I always wonder why we need so many announcements in this country compared to many others. Anyone would think we can't do anything without a helping hand.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Very funny.

Each to their own, I say. :)


Many of these automated systems also have a tendency to malfunction and break down.

Far from it, modern systems, especially those manufactured by Ditra Systems, are very reliable. And if they do break down, other station staff can cover until the fault is rectified. Far more efficient than employing a dedicated announcer who may well be rubbish at their job, and who in any case, would be far more use on the front lines helping passengers.

BTW - I love the way you say "each to their own" and then precede to start SHOUTING and acting in a self-righteous fashion. Being a bit of a troll aren't you?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,924
Location
UK
Many of these automated systems also have a tendency to malfunction and break down. Which of course is something you don't get with a human being who KNOWS what the frig they are doing.

Comprendez??

Maybe you like the Big Brother society we are now living in where every step you take is being CCTV monitored and you're being told what to do and what not to do by dictatorially soulless faceless mechanical machines? Well it's not the life for me mate.

(comment snipped)

Those like me who use the trains every day will attest to that.

Besides the systems not being set by the driver, or getting a lack of info, can you details systems that malfunction or break down? Even the 'new' FCC system, crap as it is, doesn't malfunction or break down.

And, while many people can speak just fine manually, I've heard plenty of people who can't speak into a mic properly and generally make a pigs ear of manual announcements. A computer seems more than capable of doing it clearly for many people to understand.

As for the question about living in a society where every step is monitored by CCTV and your comment "...it's not the life for me mate.", erm, sorry to say this but as long as you're living here then it IS the life for you. Better get used to it or move somewhere that hasn't caught on to using cameras!

Finally, please don't take offence (by which I mean I'm going to cut to the chase and probably be offensive), you've been on this forum for five minutes and you're speaking like everyone on here is an idiot or doesn't travel. I think you'll find that many people on here do occasionally use the trains. Your opinions are one thing, but don't just disregard those of everyone else - it's rude.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
I've got an even more effective method that will work anywhere at any time.

Just switch my cochlear implant off...!!:lol:
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
Far from it, modern systems, especially those manufactured by Ditra Systems, are very reliable. And if they do break down, other station staff can cover until the fault is rectified. Far more efficient than employing a dedicated announcer who may well be rubbish at their job, and who in any case, would be far more use on the front lines helping passengers.

BTW - I love the way you say "each to their own" and then precede to start SHOUTING and acting in a self-righteous fashion. Being a bit of a troll aren't you?

Please don't call me a troll. I don't go out of my way to offend other forum users, it is most definitely not my intention....nor my predilection.

I might be just a little outspoken and over-passionate in what I write and say but it doesn't mean I am being consciously self-righteous. That is the trouble with message boards, a lot gets lost in the translation because you don't hear voices or see facial expressions, all you see are the words in front of you. If it looked like I was being preachy, then I "sincerely apologise".

Is that okay?
 

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
Merseyrail have far, far too many announcements about health and safety now. The scrolling and voiced messages for the underground stations telling passengers how to stand on an escalator and to ask if they need assistance is cringeworthy. Indeed, to include these announcements, previous (useful) voiced advice about "change here for Northern/Wirral Line services" has been sacrificed.

However, I completely disagree that "we apologise for the inconvenience" should have been removed. You say Merseyrail are supposed to offer "we are sorry" as an alternative, but they do not. Instead, announcements concerning cancellations and engineering works are not followed by any apology whatsoever. This strikes me as arrogant and I for one would welcome the "we apologise" line coming back, whatever your market research might say.

As others have said, there are much bigger issues. The announcements are little more than a minor irriation to me. What really annoys me about Merseyrail is their woefully inadequate number of 6-car workings on the Southport line. But that's another rant...
 

Boppawombat

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2011
Messages
47
Besides the systems not being set by the driver, or getting a lack of info, can you details systems that malfunction or break down? Even the 'new' FCC system, crap as it is, doesn't malfunction or break down.

And, while many people can speak just fine manually, I've heard plenty of people who can't speak into a mic properly and generally make a pigs ear of manual announcements. A computer seems more than capable of doing it clearly for many people to understand.

As for the question about living in a society where every step is monitored by CCTV and your comment "...it's not the life for me mate.", erm, sorry to say this but as long as you're living here then it IS the life for you. Better get used to it or move somewhere that hasn't caught on to using cameras!

Finally, please don't take offence (by which I mean I'm going to cut to the chase and probably be offensive), you've been on this forum for five minutes and you're speaking like everyone on here is an idiot or doesn't travel. I think you'll find that many people on here do occasionally use the trains. Your opinions are one thing, but don't just disregard those of everyone else - it's rude.


Anything that is computerised will fail eventually. In fact, on Merseyrail we have the on-board voices that sometimes cut out and the accompanying text that scrolls across the LCD screen gets stuck...or states the incorrect station repeatedly.

So that proves that automation isn't necessarily foolproof.


Regarding my outspoken opinions here, I have just explained in a reply to thefab44 that it is not my intention to be rude or offend or troll or do whatever constitutes stepping on people's toes..... we all know what it is like to post on forums where you don't get to HEAR voices or SEE facial expressions, and without the use of smilies all the time, it's easy for things to be misconstrued.

So, I'm sorry if this is the impression others are getting of me. Maybe my biggest failing is I get too passionate about things and I see so much apathy around me in this country more than anything that I have no other choice but to speak out against it all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top