CaptainHaddock
Established Member
- Joined
- 10 Feb 2011
- Messages
- 2,723
Im sorry this is a bit of a rant but I need to get it off my chest.
From a passenger perspective, on-train announcements used to be simple and straightforward. When you got on the train the conductor announced over the intercom what the train was and where it was going and save for announcing We are now approaching whever before each stop, that was all you heard from him and you could enjoy your journey in peace and quiet.
Yet now it seems you can barely shut the conductor up! In many cases you get such a barrage of announcements before and after every stop that it drives you crackers!
The most annoying thing is though that none of these announcements are really necessary, much of it is (for want of a better word) health and safety b*llocks that you dont need to know.
For example, why do they need to announce its a non smoking service and that smoking is not permitted in any part of train including toilets and vestibules? There cant be a person in the country who doesnt know the smoking ban came into force a couple of years ago, and as toilets and vestibules are part of the train then theyre saying the same thing twice!
Then theres the bizarre obsession with insisting you keep your luggage with you at all times. Yes, great idea I go to the toilet or the buffet, take my bag with me and then when I get back to my seat I find someone else has taken it as there was nothing there to indicate it was occupied!
And as for the if you see anything suspicious please inform the conductor business, for one thing we dont know what suspicious means and for another should we really be spying on our fellow passengers? I can sort of see how this might be relevant in London back when there was a terrorist threat, but you hear this on Northern and TPE commuter services! Do they really think Al Qaeda are having meetings saying I know how we can cause mass devastation lets bomb the 0917 Hull to Bridlington stopper!
I could go on about how some guards assume everyone on their service is travelling on their train for the first time ever and patronise us by telling us what a quiet coach is and how to find our seat number. Or about how on cross country trains you get not just the conductor (sorry train manager) but also the buffer car guy droning on for ten minutes listing absolutely every item he sells, but you get the idea.
Little wonder we all have to turn our mp3 players up to full volume just to drown out the incessant chatter of unnecessary announcements!
Woo I feel better for that! I just wonder whether anyone employed by a TOC can tell me whether theyre told by their managers to make all these announcements or whether they can use their discretion and keep the noice to a minimum?
From a passenger perspective, on-train announcements used to be simple and straightforward. When you got on the train the conductor announced over the intercom what the train was and where it was going and save for announcing We are now approaching whever before each stop, that was all you heard from him and you could enjoy your journey in peace and quiet.
Yet now it seems you can barely shut the conductor up! In many cases you get such a barrage of announcements before and after every stop that it drives you crackers!
The most annoying thing is though that none of these announcements are really necessary, much of it is (for want of a better word) health and safety b*llocks that you dont need to know.
For example, why do they need to announce its a non smoking service and that smoking is not permitted in any part of train including toilets and vestibules? There cant be a person in the country who doesnt know the smoking ban came into force a couple of years ago, and as toilets and vestibules are part of the train then theyre saying the same thing twice!
Then theres the bizarre obsession with insisting you keep your luggage with you at all times. Yes, great idea I go to the toilet or the buffet, take my bag with me and then when I get back to my seat I find someone else has taken it as there was nothing there to indicate it was occupied!
And as for the if you see anything suspicious please inform the conductor business, for one thing we dont know what suspicious means and for another should we really be spying on our fellow passengers? I can sort of see how this might be relevant in London back when there was a terrorist threat, but you hear this on Northern and TPE commuter services! Do they really think Al Qaeda are having meetings saying I know how we can cause mass devastation lets bomb the 0917 Hull to Bridlington stopper!
I could go on about how some guards assume everyone on their service is travelling on their train for the first time ever and patronise us by telling us what a quiet coach is and how to find our seat number. Or about how on cross country trains you get not just the conductor (sorry train manager) but also the buffer car guy droning on for ten minutes listing absolutely every item he sells, but you get the idea.
Little wonder we all have to turn our mp3 players up to full volume just to drown out the incessant chatter of unnecessary announcements!
Woo I feel better for that! I just wonder whether anyone employed by a TOC can tell me whether theyre told by their managers to make all these announcements or whether they can use their discretion and keep the noice to a minimum?
I'll confess to annoucning where coach A is, and asking people to keep the gangways clear for the trolley, but I try to keep it as brief as possible and I don't do it at every stop. I also leave the 'mind the gap' etc for just the big stations, cos it becomes a little insulting to repeat the same thing at every station!