• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying noise in class 456 units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Can anyone tell me what the constant annoying "plong... plong... plong... plong... plong..." noise is in the 456s?

I don't recall them making this noise prior to their recent refurbishment, but now it is a seemingly non stop feature on board.<(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
Can anyone tell me what the constant annoying "plong... plong... plong... plong... plong..." noise is in the 456s?

I don't recall them making this noise prior to their recent refurbishment, but now it is a seemingly non stop feature on board.<(

I've also heard that noise on several 319s and 321s (on one occasion it continued without break for over 10 minutes), as well as one 455 and a few 458 units.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
I know what noise you mean but I dont know what it is....various locos used to do it as well including 47s, 86s and 87s
 

sheepy1991

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2009
Messages
32
Id imagine given the similarities to the class 321 If its coming from the compressor area id imagine it would be a moisture drain valve on the main reservoir tank, more than likely they have all been replaced on refurb and are now performing as they should, they are just a spit valve that ejects air/moisture against a deflector plate which is what causes the ping/pong noise
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
I've also heard that noise on several 319s and 321s (on one occasion it continued without break for over 10 minutes), as well as one 455 and a few 458 units.

Interesting - I've never heard it on anything other than the refurbished 456s... And I use 319s a lot ( although i always travel in the motor vehicle on a 319, so if the noise is in any other carriage of course I'd not notice it ).
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Presumably not for the peaceful atmosphere? :-P

True. I like the noises the 319 motors make.:D

What I don't like is things like that constant annoying "plong... plong... plong... plong... plong..." noise in the 456s...
 

urpert

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Messages
1,171
Location
Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
True. I like the noises the 319 motors make.:D



What I don't like is things like that constant annoying "plong... plong... plong... plong... plong..." noise in the 456s...


I do recall it from a summer around 10 years ago spent commuting London Bridge - North Dulwich. I don't think I've ever heard a 319 making the same noise (though they do make plenty of other unusual noises, which is where we came in.)
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
If it's whilst the train is in motion, then it's flats, if it's stationary and it has a slightly metallic tone to the noise you've said about then it's the spirex valve which releases the condensate from the main res tank.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
If its near the front of the train then maybe its driver crying because they are stuck on that pile of sh+te for 4 hours! ;)
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
If it's whilst the train is in motion, then it's flats, if it's stationary and it has a slightly metallic tone to the noise you've said about then it's the spirex valve which releases the condensate from the main res tank.

Wasn't flats. I hear more than enough of those ( especially on 455s! ).

So presumably it must be that valve thing - though surely it shouldn't be going continuously for the 20 minutes it took to get from Epsom to Wimbledon?
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
If its near the front of the train then maybe its driver crying because they are stuck on that pile of sh+te for 4 hours! ;)

Eh? ;) 455's used to make the same noise all the time.Something to do with an air valve.We used to have a very unfunny joke that a fitter was working on the unit with all the banging.

I like the 456's (sorry) but they reminded me of the 321's that I drove down the Southend Road when I was in training.(Well the cab does anyway)
 
Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
Interesting - I've never heard it on anything other than the refurbished 456s... And I use 319s a lot ( although i always travel in the motor vehicle on a 319, so if the noise is in any other carriage of course I'd not notice it ).

Was this the trailer coach (which has the compressors) or the motor coach? Looks like I'm thinking of something completely different to the others as the noise I had in mind was from the motor coach, like on 321362 here.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Couple of points here: I'm cloth eared and on those two video clips:

1) On the class 37 one I can't hear anything other than the engine.

2) On the class 321 clip all I can hear is the rail joints.

Hassanhc - I was in the one that used to have the toilet in; is that the trailer?
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
I did have a recording of what I think is the sound you are talking about but I've lost it!!!

It is quite a deep sound, not a high pitched ping ping ping isn't it. Wouldn't surprise me if 456's do it, more less the same traction kit as a 319 or something IIRC?? (Not 100% sure mind!!)

I've heard it a lot on my overnight 319 bashes, very eery sound especially when it's at night, MSO to yourself, just a light 'pong...pong...pong...pong' then the door warning sound kicks you awake BEEPBEEPBEEP!!!!!! :lol:!
 

Smudger105e

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2010
Messages
1,012
Location
N 52° 53.492 W 001° 15.493
If the noise is a Spirax drain valve (a regular pop pop pop) then it is a valve positioned at a low point in the air system. All the vale is is a metal disc in a valve body. The air pressure holds the disc down and bleeds through a pin hole to create an opposing air pressure under the disc. Once the pressure under overcomes the pressure above the disc (it's to do with the larger surface area under the disc) then the disc lifts, allowing air and water to escape. But immediately it does lift, the air pressure underneath is also expelled so the disc snaps closed again. And so on. and on. and on!

It is not designed to get rid of excess water. Any water is not the braking system's friend. The spirax is designed to expel ALL water from the air system.

Quite a lot of more modern rolling stock have air driers fitted, and a correctly working air drier should keep the air system dry, so there should be no need for a spirax, Westinghouse or any other type of auto drain valve. I know 66s have both air driers and drain valves, a bit belt and braces. Some older locos (eg. 47s) have several spirax valves fitted, and these work all the time there is air in the main res system, even with the engine shut down. Can be very annoying!
 

doningtonphil

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
106
Scotrail and Northern Class 156 units have a fairly frequent air releasing sound coming from underneath, every 2 minutes or so
 

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2007
Messages
2,154
Location
SWR Metals
The 458/459s always had a blast of air releasing every now and again.I'm sure I was told the reason for this in training but I've now forgotten.So I don't get worried when I hear the same happening.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
The 458/459s always had a blast of air releasing every now and again.I'm sure I was told the reason for this in training but I've now forgotten.So I don't get worried when I hear the same happening.

normally for "spitting out" the moisture from the main res, isnt it??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top