• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anniversary of the Tkaid Shinkansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
I like to read Wikipedia every day and saw that it's the anniversary of the Tōkaidō Shinkansen line, started in 1964 in time for the Tokyo Olympics.

Article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōkaidō_Shinkansen

I went to Japan a few years ago and got a 3 week travel pass for the princely sum of £108. This allowed me unlimited travel on all JR trains, except for the Nozomi Superfast Shinkansen. I paid to upgrade and travelled on that train from Osaka to Tokyo.

I have never been on a more eerily quiet (both actual train or passengers) or efficient railway. If you didn't look out of the window you'd never know you were moving. I have the requisite picture of Mount Fuji, and of course I loved the Bento boxes they sell in the station - a serious step up from Burger King or Delice de France!

I think it's been my favourite rail journey so far.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

upnorth71

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2007
Messages
77
Location
Hokkaido JAPAN
There are two big timetable revisions in Japan, one in March and the other in October. New trains and services (as well as discontinuances/closures) are typically instituted concurrently with these revisions, though typically more often in March, being that is just before the start of the new fiscal year. I expect the big anniversary will be in two years time, when it'll be the 50th.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top