I agree with that. Yes obviously some people's language is unacceptable and some people's expectations are unrealistic.
But it's the railway industry who decided to start calling people customers. And customers don't care if providing the service they've paid for is 'difficult' - delivery of the service is not their problem.
Most of it gets ignored with a polite 'we'll pass on your feedback' or 'contact customer services' unless it can be substantiated. I personally like the London Midland etc style approach where they respond to abusive numptys, generally advising them that they've been blocked. Having met several TOC twitter operators, I'm sure people wouldn't be as foul mouthed towards them if they met them in real life (at least a couple of them are extremely pretty!).
Many people's expectation are somewhat unreasonable particularly when it comes to external factors. There comes a point when you have to ignore them and they either carry on using your service moaning to themselves or actually move on.
Having dealt with delays arising from more than a couple of fatalities I've walked off and abandoned arse holes to their own devices when they been disrespectful in the extreme both to the deceased and my colleagues who had to deal with the affair and I've never had any comeback from it despite numerous veiled threats.