They might not even have been associated with him. Epstein might have noted them in his infamous list as potential targets and either never got round to drawing them in, or they gave him the brush off. No doubt the analysts will be going through these documents in detail in the weeks or months to come and only then will things be clearer (relatively).the fact that someone was associated with Epstein just means that they're associated with him, nothing more.
Claims about Prince Andrew's relationship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein dominate Friday's front pages. Public figures including Prince Andrew and former US President Bill Clinton are among the associates, friends and alleged victims named in the 900 pages of legal documents unsealed on the order of a judge in New York. "No Way Back" reads the headline of the Daily Mail, reporting comments from insiders that the Duke of York "will never return to the royal fold". The paper notes that "Andrew has vehemently and repeatedly denied all allegations against him".
The newspapers are all out to get Andrew today:
![]()
Newspaper headlines: Prince Andrew claims and 'no Labour tax cuts'
Claims about Prince Andrew included in newly-released court papers dominate the front pages.www.bbc.co.uk
As much as I may agree with them, the newspapers are there to report news, not to give their view on what should or shouldn’t be done. Of course though, what the newspapers are really interested in is the amount of column inches they can devote to the story.The newspapers are all out to get Andrew today:
... and project the views of their wealthy proprietors.As much as I may agree with them, the newspapers are there to report news, not to give their view on what should or shouldn’t be done. Of course though, what the newspapers are really interested in is the amount of column inches they can devote to the story.
Today's papers included stories suggesting a s** tape containing Andrew exists. At least we now know the main cause of all the recent flooding.
That one is a bit dubious. Apparently the main source of the claim subsequently retracted it because "bad things would happen to her" if she didn't.Today's papers included stories suggesting a s** tape containing Andrew exists. At least we now know the main cause of all the recent flooding.
- Prince Andrew says he will no longer use his titles, including Duke of York, after "discussion with the King"
- "We have concluded the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the Royal Family," a statement from Prince Andrew says - read it in full here
- He will remain a prince - but will cease to be the Duke of York, a title received from his mother, the late Queen Elizabeth
- Prince Andrew has been under increasing pressure over his links with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, and has faced a series of scandals - in the statement he reiterates: "I vigorously deny the accusations against me"
- His ex-wife will be known as Sarah Ferguson and no longer Duchess of York, but their daughters will continue to have the title of princess
I've been reading Andrew Lownie's excellent Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York recently and so I've been quite interested in what's happening re. Andrew. I must say I was glad to read the news of him losing his titles - I really don't think he deserves them at all (or his place in Windsor).
Well he did have to literally sweat it out to get those onesI think that he does keep his title of Prince. Personally, I think he should lose the lot except the South Atlantic Medal and his Navy Long Service award. I presume it is for other countries to decide whether to strip him of the honours that they have given him.
I think if given the chance Andrew would be stripped of his Windsor place, but the legal situation regarding the lease ownership, combined with the face he's still a too high security risk to roam around in public, means he has to retain it for now. He's also not going to Sandringham this Christmas (and presumably not successive ones either).I've been reading Andrew Lownie's excellent Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York recently and so I've been quite interested in what's happening re. Andrew. I must say I was glad to read the news of him losing his titles - I really don't think he deserves them at all (or his place in Windsor).
-Peter
I will therefore no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me.
Not wishing to put a damper on things but I'm not sure he's losing his titles (I'm not sure he can?) just no longer using them. But he is still, technically, Duke of York. The wording seems quite precise:
Yes that's a good point - a very frustrating point, but a good one. Given he has said he has a capacity to be "too honourable", one wonders why he hasn't given it all up before now (and why he hasn't given it *all* up, including the Windsor place, this evening).I think if given the chance Andrew would be stripped of his Windsor place, but the legal situation regarding the lease ownership, combined with the face he's still a too high security risk to roam around in public, means he has to retain it for now. He's also not going to Sandringham this Christmas (and presumably not successive ones either).
The legal situation regarding the lease ownership and anything about Prince Andrew is very odd. I imagine constitutionally he can be chucked out of the property instantly as the law does not exist if the King authorises it. The King verses the King in a court of law surely only has one winner.Well he did have to literally sweat it out to get those ones
I think if given the chance Andrew would be stripped of his Windsor place, but the legal situation regarding the lease ownership, combined with the face he's still a too high security risk to roam around in public, means he has to retain it for now. He's also not going to Sandringham this Christmas (and presumably not successive ones either).
Not to mention of course recently it transpired she had some dodgy opinions about Epstein as well (though probably nowhere near as serious as Andrew's).I wonder if his missus will be amenable to losing her title as a result of Andrew’s ‘decision’. That’s another ordinary Sarah Ferguson to add to my list of 4 that I’m aware of!
Seven charities have dropped the Duchess of York as a patron or ambassador after an email from 2011 revealed that she called sex offender Jeffrey Epstein her "supreme friend" and seemed to apologise for her public criticism of him.
Julia's House, a children's hospice, was the first to remove Sarah Ferguson, Prince Andrew's ex-wife, saying it was "inappropriate" for her to continue in the role.
The Teenage Cancer Trust, Natasha Allergy Research Foundation, Children's Literacy Charity, National Foundation for Retired Service Animals and Prevent Breast Cancer also announced they had dropped the duchess as patron.
The British Heart Foundation said she would no longer be its ambassador.
The last time a dukedom was taken away from a senior royal was more than 100 years ago…..one of Queen Victoria’s grandsons – lost the title of Duke of Albany for fighting on the German side during World War One….
I know the British and German Royal families were somewhat intertwined back then, but you'd think that would be grounds for treason and execution (which were both still a thing back then).This superb bit of trivia from the Beeb made me laugh -
![]()
Prince Andrew gives up royal titles including Duke of York after 'discussion with King'
In a statement, the prince says: "The continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the Royal Family."www.bbc.co.uk
I've been reading Andrew Lownie's excellent Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York recently and so I've been quite interested in what's happening re. Andrew. I must say I was glad to read the news of him losing his titles - I really don't think he deserves them at all (or his place in Windsor).
-Peter
As he was the (last, as it turned out) Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and thus the ruler of a constituent state of the German Empire, the only country he could have committed treason against would have been the German Empire. As he ended up a eugenicist and supporter of the Nazis, we were probably well rid of him!I know the British and German Royal families were somewhat intertwined back then, but you'd think that would be grounds for treason and execution (which were both still a thing back then).
He was still a British subject and didn’t gain German nationality. But there wouldn’t have been the opportunity to try him after WWI and I don’t imagine it was much of a priority when they were trying him for Nazi crimes after WWII.As he was the (last, as it turned out) Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and thus the ruler of a constituent state of the German Empire, the only country he could have committed treason against would have been the German Empire. As he ended up a eugenicist and supporter of the Nazis, we were probably well rid of him!
Which is a shame, as it spoils the obvious joke...I think that he does keep his title of Prince.