• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the secret sealed document and his arrest

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
Apart from anything else, Prince Andrew has demonstrated a very poor ability in his choice of "friends".
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,560
Location
Taunton or Kent
The Sun decided to post the below front page today about Andrew. This looks very much like them trying to distract from the Deputy editor's role in the illegal no.10 parties, as opposed to actually reporting on what Andrew is up to. What's probably worth noting is Andrew could sue for libel and I reckon stand a good chance of winning, but I suspect he won't because the last thing he wants right now is more publicity.


THE SUN: Andrew’s 6-in-a-bed #TomorrowsPapersToday

1642529154516.png
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,358
The Sun decided to post the below front page today about Andrew. This looks very much like them trying to distract from the Deputy editor's role in the illegal no.10 parties, as opposed to actually reporting on what Andrew is up to. What's probably worth noting is Andrew could sue for libel and I reckon stand a good chance of winning, but I suspect he won't because the last thing he wants right now is more publicity.
You've hit the nail on the head. Prince Andrew's appalling behaviour is no longer news, so in true "Sun" style they've sought to sensationalise this story, which as you say may well be to steer the focus away from the behaviour of their own staff. If the Deputy Editor was involved in the No 10 parties, then what a shame there isn't some sordid publication seeking to expose them with the same bloodlust as they show for others.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Andrew is apparently now demanding trial by jury. As this means by your peers, meaning equals, where are they going to get a dozen princes from?
 

Anonymous10

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2019
Messages
2,634
Location
wales
Andrew is apparently now demanding trial by jury. As this means by your peers, meaning equals, where are they going to get a dozen princes from?
they can do trial by royal family. yes bit.tongue in cheek or they could speak to france and Netherlands :lol::lol::lol:
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Andrew is apparently now demanding trial by jury. As this means by your peers, meaning equals, where are they going to get a dozen princes from?
Pretty sure it was always going to be a jury trial.
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,560
Location
Taunton or Kent
Apologies if I've not understood this properly: what has Andrew (via his lawyers), demanded the trial by jury be about specifically, and who exactly is the defendant in it? I cannot see why he would happily want to be the defendant in a trial by jury unless he's absolutely sure he'll be found innocent (which I'm not suggesting means he is guilty right now).
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I cannot see why he would happily want to be the defendant in a trial by jury unless he's absolutely sure he'll be found innocent (which I'm not suggesting means he is guilty right now).
They are likely hoping that (a) the process of empanelling a jury draws the process out a bit longer; (b) that the case against him is weak enough that it's unlikely that a jury would reach a unanimous verdict; and/or (c) that the likelihood of a mistrial is higher in a jury trial than one heard solely by a judge.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Andrew is apparently now demanding trial by jury. As this means by your peers, meaning equals, where are they going to get a dozen princes from?
Well there's Harry and Meghan already over there. I'm sure they'll give him a fair hearing!
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Well there's Harry and Meghan already over there. I'm sure they'll give him a fair hearing!
I've heard no mention of him attending the court for this CIVIL action and, even if he did, wouldn't submit himself to questioning. His legal team would remind him of his car crash of an interview on the BBC.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I've heard no mention of him attending the court for this CIVIL action and, even if he did, wouldn't submit himself to questioning. His legal team would remind him of his car crash of an interview on the BBC.
While he doesn't have to testify, I'm pretty sure that he would have to attend as he's being sued in his personal capacity.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
I've heard no mention of him attending the court for this CIVIL action and, even if he did, wouldn't submit himself to questioning. His legal team would remind him of his car crash of an interview on the BBC.
My comment was a tongue-in-cheek one about Harry and Meghan sitting on the jury.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
While he doesn't have to testify, I'm pretty sure that he would have to attend as he's being sued in his personal capacity.
No idea how things operate in U.S. courts, but here many civil cases are concluded in the hours or minutes before the court hearing, often for undisclosed sums of money. After all, money is no object to the ultra-privileged buffoon!
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
No idea how things operate in U.S. courts, but here many civil cases are concluded in the hours or minutes before the court hearing, often for undisclosed sums of money. After all, money is no object to the ultra-privileged buffoon!
The plaintiff has stated that she's not interested in a purely financial settlement though.
 

Senex

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2014
Messages
2,957
Location
York
No idea how things operate in U.S. courts, but here many civil cases are concluded in the hours or minutes before the court hearing, often for undisclosed sums of money. After all, money is no object to the ultra-privileged buffoon!
But watching it all develop does bring out the point very clearly that even if you're a buffoon, as long as you're an utra-privileged one with access to huge amounts of money you can get lawyers to support you and access to the courts in a way that ordinary citizens couldn't hope for in their wildest dreams.
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,358
But watching it all develop does bring out the point very clearly that even if you're a buffoon, as long as you're an utra-privileged one with access to huge amounts of money you can get lawyers to support you and access to the courts in a way that ordinary citizens couldn't hope for in their wildest dreams.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have you seen PMQs or indeed most questions about Partygate recently? It's a masterclass in being an ultra-priveleged buffoon with access to huge amounts of taxpayers money, getting a host of what ought to be otherwise intelligent and well educated people, to answer every conceivable question about wrong doings with either "Ah yes but look how many vaccinations we've organised" or "We'd rather be thinking about the Ukraine". If Andrew had the amount of blinkered and utterly biased support that Boris has, he'd have no worries about a court case. But just to follow Boris's example, I think next time I get a speeding ticket I'll plead that I might have broken the law, but I've done lots of miles at below the speed limit, and see if that works to get me off a fine :D
 
Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
But just to follow Boris's example, I think next time I get a speeding ticket I'll plead that I might have broken the law, but I've done lots of miles at below the speed limit, and see if that works to get me off a fine
Or, to go back in time in this Government's lawlessness, admit that you might have exceeded the speed limit but that it was in a very specific and limited way.
 

Shrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2019
Messages
1,358
Or, to go back in time in this Government's lawlessness, admit that you might have exceeded the speed limit but that it was in a very specific and limited way.
Or I could say I was pushed into breaking the speed limit by someone else. Who then left his job to become deputy editor of a rag that's read by nearly 3 million people every day. Which provides a glorious opportunity to divert attention away from his wrongdoings by printing massive headlines about something else. And that something else just happens to be Prince Andrew. Too ridiculous for words? :rolleyes:
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
The plaintiff has stated that she's not interested in a purely financial settlement though.
Yes, that potentially makes things very interesting, but I cannot conceive a situation in which he takes the rap other than financially, much though i fantasise about such an eventuality. 'Wrongdoing' is never something that can be ascribed to those born with the solid gold cutlery set in their mouth.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Yes, that potentially makes things very interesting, but I cannot conceive a situation in which he takes the rap other than financially, much though i fantasise about such an eventuality.
A guilty finding would trash his reputation, which probably means more to him than money. The evidence presented in this case also could open the door to criminal proceedings (assuming that there isn't a statues of limitations prohibition).
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
A guilty finding would trash his reputation, which probably means more to him than money. The evidence presented in this case also could open the door to criminal proceedings (assuming that there isn't a statues of limitations prohibition).
Only he and a few who believe in the Divine Right of Princes, or whatever, are deluded enough to think he has any reputation left.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Only he and a few who believe in the Divine Right of Princes, or whatever, are deluded enough to think he has any reputation left.
At the moment he is an accused sex offender. Which, if the jury finds in his favour, disappears from the public conscience in a couple of years. If they find in favour of the plaintiff he'll never be able to outlive the stigma.

Plus, it's not unknown for the evidence uncovered in a civil case to lead to criminal charges.
 

Senex

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2014
Messages
2,957
Location
York
Only he and a few who believe in the Divine Right of Princes, or whatever, are deluded enough to think he has any reputation left.
I think you might, unfortunately, find that there are still far too many in this country who believe in the Divine Right of Princes (as long as they're members of the Windsor family).
 

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,560
Location
Taunton or Kent
I think you might, unfortunately, find that there are still far too many in this country who believe in the Divine Right of Princes (as long as they're members of the Windsor family).
Lady Colin Campbell trying to defend Epstein and Andrew by suggesting at least Epstein was 'merely' an ephebophile, not paedophile, when she was asked about how Andrew may have damaged the royals through his association with Epstein, comes to mind here.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I won't link to it since it's in the Daily Mail but they are reporting that Ms Guffrie has said that she would be willing to settle out of court, but only if the settlement agreement involves an admission of guilt.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,672
I was wondering and hoping someone can answer a question. Obviously you have to turn up for a criminal trial , but what's the law as regards a civil suit. Not withstanding the status of a person , is a defendant legally required. Also would the US have any legal standing if Prince Andrew or indeed any civilian , refused to attend.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,834
I was wondering and hoping someone can answer a question. Obviously you have to turn up for a criminal trial , but what's the law as regards a civil suit. Not withstanding the status of a person , is a defendant legally required. Also would the US have any legal standing if Prince Andrew or indeed any civilian , refused to attend.

I believe that in the US, if you don’t attend and mount a defence, judgement is given against you by default
 

Top