• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An Overnighter in Carlisle (Tuesday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Having not done an overnighter in Carlisle for an absolute dogs age, coupled with that rare commodity, some free time to myself and a few days off from work, i decided I'd get myself over to Carlisle, after all, having not been able to get out and look for at a few trains for god knows how long, this was a chance to get out and maybe fill a few gaps in my book. Especially with the new 68's, the 390/1's and 350/4 Desiro's to catch up with.
One things for certain, Newcastle Central isn't getting much better, maybe worse, however some old Heaton stalwarts remain, 156443 and 156444, were kicking round, as well as 142017. I got there an hour before the 19.25 train was to depart for Carlisle and in that time I saw the two 2 156's and the 142 aforementioned, add 185115, 2 HST's(43290,251,218,319) and 67016 which is this weeks thunderbird, so it wasn't exactly exciting fare but at least it was a trip out, however my local station and one time Mecca, no doubt like everywhere else, seems a pale shadow of itself, since those halycon days, when there was a loco hauled turn waiting to go to various destinations, on various platforms, however, these days everything has been replaced with units, that travel further and super units, aka voyagers, that go much much further. Even now, HST's, which i must admit I'm not a great fan of, have been made even duller by MTU'ing them. replacing that infinite screech they had with valenta engine However i digress.
First mistake of the day was soon realised, i went into my bag for my wallet to pay for my tickets and very soonly realised I'd left the flask on the kitchen bench in my haste to get out the house on time, for the bus. I muttered to myself, you stupid t**t, just as some bloke walked past, he gave me a glare, that had, you what?, written all over his face:oops:, I laughed and said sorry mate, Im talking to myself, not you, he just looked at me even more strangely and walked away shaking his head:oops::oops:. Embassment over,Tickets paid for, quick nip into the Sainsbury's for a 2 litre bottle of pop then Smiths for some reading material, not only to pass time on the journey over but to fill in the seemingly obvious lull's you invariably witness whilst at at Carlisle too, Think thats part of it's charm.I buy Railways Illustrted and head off to platform 5, where 156444 is stood awaiting my arrival. Not A Huge result, far from it but its in its Northern Rail pyjamas and its not a 142.
I get aboard, find a seat with a table and glance around at 156444's refurb, the seat coverings catch my eye, I sat there wondering, that looks familiar, a bit into the journey it finally hits me, my grandad had matching pyjamas, i wondered where theyd gone when he passed away.:lol: We set off and im in turmoil, we got out via the high level bridge, i'm going backwards, quick change of seat, now im going forwards as we pass the flats on the sight where Gateshead Shed was, my eyes flash left and right as i look for where i'd stood many times on the wall picking off loco's and try to think what was where, even the stabling point at the back of where the depot was, is just a buiders yard for further developments, saddend by a clump of my youth being covered over by a huge block of flats. I sat remmenicing the hive of activity and the excitement the place once gave me, the memory of bunking round the shed looking for the foreman in hope we'd get everything first, we nearly did too but he found my mate and I first and angrily marched us out, my mate saying, "are you gonna ask for a TOPS?, I dont think nows the time to ask, I said but your welcome to:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: needless to say we didnt ask but after the initial shock of not being handed over to the BTP wore off, we burst out laughing on the bank side. My concentration was brought back to earth with, tickets from Newcastle please.
Have to say, the journey over the Tyne Valley was a pleasant one, on the "what makes you smile" thread i think sprinter guy said, the journey over the Tyne Valley in the sunshine,I readily agreed and as if, it was offering confirmation, tonight was one of those nights, it was cracking, unspoilt countryside, stations that hold onto their charm from a bygome era, theres still some semaphore signals and signal boxes that remain. Ok theres a few bus stop esque shelter on most stations but the charms still remains. As i look out the window, the rivers look to be the type that inspired JR Hartley to take up fly fishing in the 1st place. The more you push on through the Northumbrian countryside towards Cumbria the more remote it becomes, Its not quite the S&C but its nice regardless. The Tyne Valley holds many a special memories too, my formative bashing days were spent whizzing up and down it, behind a multitude of different traction, due to the 143 fault, leaving a severe lack of units at Heaton. My friends and I, HAD TO ENDURE 25's 31's 37's, Peaks(i was coerced honest:oops::oops: it took a bit of that where wagons where concerned, I have a love hate relationship, my mate loved em I hated them) and ofcourse (my beloved) 47's, instead of units, what a shame but great days indeed. Before I knew it, we'd reached Haltwhistle.
Dont know if its just me but since their refurb, the 156's seem a lot nippier, I have to admit it the driver certainly seemed to put 444 through its paces.
I got to Carlisle just after 9pm and apart from the odd passenger, there wasn't many folk round, the buffets were shut, which surprised me, especially as there was still trains running, I thought they'd keep them open till at most 10pm. Hot drinks from the machine it is then, food wasn't in short supply I'd made enough sandwiches to feed a small army, including crisps and biscuits, which i brought to have with my flask of coffee.
After pressing the wrong number on the drink's machine, I had to endure black coffee, thank god i brought the biscuits, i took my place on platform 3, near the bay from where the trains go to and from Barrow. After a bit i got talking to a guy, who told me that 68004 maybe on test tomorrow, it had been that day and instead of its 9.45 slot it turned up 87mins early, fortunately for him he was already in place. After a bit he was away, i was on me own with Railways Illustrated filling gaps in between the odd frieght movement. I went for a stroll to see what units where in the bottom bay and on the way, collared the night shift station manager, he told me doors locked after the 01.44 Caledonian Sleeper, if your out and the doors locked, you stay out and the toilets are locked till 5am.:roll::roll::roll:Needless to say come 11.30pm i went to the nearest pub for a toilet break, I have to admit the urge to get a pint was serious but with no toilet break after this one, i decided against it.
The night flew to be truthful, it wasn't as manic as the last time I'd visited but there was enough stuff coming through, a fair few coal trains linked with the usual internodals, the Rail grinder had me totally confused when it appeared over shap, it had the growl of a 92 but had lights all down its side.I was thinking what the hell is this? About 1am a guy came over and asked if i was waiting for anything in particular, told him i was there for the night, turns out he just popped out to chill for a bit, he was as we Geordies say, a canny lad. It was nice to chew the fat about the railways, looking back on the good days of diesel and electric loco hauled trains. however he departed home before he got locked in. Not sure what working it was but the weirdest move of the night, was 92030 wiith 67030 dead inside on what looked like a rake of empty steel flats.Seeing a 67 on Carlisle isn't something ive seen on a regular basis.
About 3am, everything went dead, so i sat down read Railways illustrated and seen as a small army hadn't appeared to ask if anyone had any spare sarnies, I started mine, after gorging on sarnies crisps and an ever deminishing bottle of pop i decided to go on a wander and found a lift to the subway, so off i went, nothing spectacular but i'd done it. However a more pressing matter was at hand, the call of nature, Id tried walking it off, even tried to ignore it but by 4.15am i asked a lad servicing a 156 if i could nip for a pee, he got onto the station manager, who politely told me he'd warned me, i can open the doors and let you out the station, they re-open at 5am. I politely refused and set off walking to take my mind off it, when an announcement came over the tannoy, this is apassenger announcement, i was the only person there, just to let you know the toilets open. I made double quick time, talk about relief.
The morning started with a pair of 86's on a liner, the fourth pair of the trip, god bless them 86's theyre starting to look a bit thread bare but the plough on regardless, a driver from frieghtliner who I got chatting to, said he preffered driving them to the 66's but you got half cooked in the warm weather in them. I went over to the ticket office to get some tickets to travel up to Annan, just so i could pick off the loco's on Kingmoor, as i started back a pendillino came in, i was about to walk down the platform when i heard the rev of a 37, i made for the bridge to see 37611 and 606 on a flask train, I made it over the bridge and had got my phone ready to video them leave, however the battery died:oops::oops:, a huge pity too, typical DRS Driver he played to the audience as well, he thrashed the life out of it as it left towards Sellafield.
By 8am the local railway fraternity were joining me on the station, I got talking to a guy and i asked if he'd heard if the test train was running he was none the wiser, no-one was and a fir bit of freight and the new pendo's and desiro's kept my interest for a good while before I decided to de-camp for Annan, 156501 was todays 156, I got myself positioned and got ready to write what i saw, fortunately both 68003 and 004 were in view as well as 47602, 37605, a couple of 66's and a 47' remained unidentified,in the yard there was a couple of DB 66's 014 and 161, 92039 and resident shunter 08605. Unfortunately the weather had turned, it hoyed it down and turned a bit colder, i had a bit time to fester at Annan so i ventured out the station and went for a stroll and a ciggy, although not before 66513 had come through too. I got back in time for 156502 back to Carlisle, strange that, 501 there and 502 back, I jumed aboard and positioned myself at a table ready for another chance to pick off more loco's, only 66094 had joined the party in the yard and as i got ready to pick up what i missed on the way up, I was bowled by 66429 with a train of autoblasters, i muttered something under my breath, which fortunately no-one heard this time. When I got back into the Station, I passed the info on to the guy I'd met earlier, adding it didn't look like the test trains gonna run today, he said a driver at DRS told him when i was away, it's going over Shap tomorrow. I sat and had a coffee and bacon sarnie and considered a trip on one of the new desiros.I had a walk up the platform and found myself staring up towards shap, leaning against a steel pillar, suddenly getting the nods. My mind was made up its the 14.36 home for me, as i sat on platform 4 and awaited it arrival 92039 came through on the china clays and a pair of DB 66's went through light engine. I stepped aboard 156505 took a seat and off we went, the guard came gripped my ticket and I never saw another thing till we pulled into Hexham.
Overall it was a good trip, i left needing just 1 of the new Trans Pennine Desiro's made a dint in the 390/1's, a few new 156's for haulage but more importantly it was just nice to be out again, however knackered i became. Nice warm up for a trip in July.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top