• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An open letter to Southeastern (Managing Director)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
While not equal distance, here's two examples of fares.

Maidstone Stns to Westenhanger. £14 Any Permitted CDR. Fare set by Southeastern.

Forest Hill to East Grinstead. £11 CDR. Fare set by Southern.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anme

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2013
Messages
1,777
While not equal distance, here's two examples of fares.

Maidstone Stns to Westenhanger. £14 Any Permitted CDR. Fare set by Southeastern.

Forest Hill to East Grinstead. £11 CDR. Fare set by Southern.

Could you explain what that is supposed to demonstrate?
 

HH

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
4,505
Location
Essex
Yep but they are now well above parity. Off the top of my head a report out recently found the average fare to be 10% above other London area TOCs on similar distances. Anyone remember reading that and got the link? I will try and find it as bloody google keeps bringing up todays fares announcement on searches. I need to find it, but I don't think it included HS1 and was a decent independent, thorough like-for-like comparison.

That may well be true; I think the increases have gone on beyond the original intention. I looked at a couple of fares in Kent over the same distance (37.5 miles): Tunbridge Wells to London Bridge (£20.10) and Maidstone East to London Victoria (£20.30) and compared it to the nearest difference on the GEML, Hatfield Peverel to London Liverpool Street (39.3 miles and £20.40). It is a little more expensive (53.9p a mile compared to 51.9p), but it's not like it is tremendously different.

Is Witham (the nearest large station) more well off than Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells? I think not.

Other lines may be getting a better deal, but I'm not convinced that Kent has been singled out for particularly harsh treatment on the fares front.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top