Hi all,
An odd request, I know. But I have noticed that I study well - extremely well - on trains... Exclusively.
I have ADD and find it really tough to concentrate with my university dissertation, EXCEPT on long train journeys. Something about the constant slight movement calms me, the passing scenery, the notion of a dedicated journey so I can just focus, cut off from the busy world out there, the funny unofficial etiquette on trains of keeping quiet etc.
It's all somehow perfect for getting work done!
SO I need some advice, if anyone could be so kind!?
I want to start going on long train journeys from London to anywhere, as long as I can do the 'there-and-back' return journey between 9am-10pm within the same day. I guess these are the aspects that I need some advice/ expertise with (bear with me, if this seems demanding - any advice is great!):
I need to find a regular route (or a few regular routes) from London to *anywhere*, the longer the better, that is cheap, with a table option and with as few stops as possible.
Here's a bit of extra info:
- I have a Young Person's Railcard, but I don't have much money so lowest price is priority (scenery is not important, though of course lovely!)
- I would ideally like a journey that lasts a few hours (minimum 2 hours) but makes as few stops as possible (say, up to 10 stops is fine, but 10+ I get too easily distracted)
- I would need a table seat, so the trains must have tables and preferably toilets if they're long journeys
In the long term, I'll book regular & cheap journeys in advance, so hopefully prices should be relatively low. BUT if any of you know of some ways of getting cheap last-minute long journeys, please do let me know also!
Thank you for even reading this if you got this far
An appreciative train fan,
Ruthie
An odd request, I know. But I have noticed that I study well - extremely well - on trains... Exclusively.
I have ADD and find it really tough to concentrate with my university dissertation, EXCEPT on long train journeys. Something about the constant slight movement calms me, the passing scenery, the notion of a dedicated journey so I can just focus, cut off from the busy world out there, the funny unofficial etiquette on trains of keeping quiet etc.
It's all somehow perfect for getting work done!
SO I need some advice, if anyone could be so kind!?
I want to start going on long train journeys from London to anywhere, as long as I can do the 'there-and-back' return journey between 9am-10pm within the same day. I guess these are the aspects that I need some advice/ expertise with (bear with me, if this seems demanding - any advice is great!):
I need to find a regular route (or a few regular routes) from London to *anywhere*, the longer the better, that is cheap, with a table option and with as few stops as possible.
Here's a bit of extra info:
- I have a Young Person's Railcard, but I don't have much money so lowest price is priority (scenery is not important, though of course lovely!)
- I would ideally like a journey that lasts a few hours (minimum 2 hours) but makes as few stops as possible (say, up to 10 stops is fine, but 10+ I get too easily distracted)
- I would need a table seat, so the trains must have tables and preferably toilets if they're long journeys
In the long term, I'll book regular & cheap journeys in advance, so hopefully prices should be relatively low. BUT if any of you know of some ways of getting cheap last-minute long journeys, please do let me know also!
Thank you for even reading this if you got this far

An appreciative train fan,
Ruthie