• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An impromptu afternoon out in Devon 09/06/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,921
I rarely write up my travels, but I had a superb little day trip the other week to Devon which I thought I'd share.

I was at a bit of a loose end on Thursday evening at work and having a day off on the Friday decided that a lengthy ride on a HST was called for given their time seems to be nearly up. I've always loved Devon and I needed to travel the route from Birmingham to Bristol and on to Exeter for one reason or another so that was that.

Not much sleep had but I made my connection to Derby from home and was rewarded with the sight of 43303 and 43239 on 1V46 the 0828 to Plymouth. Due to engineering work it had been diverted via the Erewash Valley from Chesterfield via Trent Junctions to Derby and was reversing direction there to continue it's journey, an hour later at a more sociable time than the normal booked HST.

The train wasn't busy and I found myself a pair of seats in the TGS and settled down for the ride. The set was starting to look a bit tired but the ride was comfortable, the coach was never more than half full and the air conditioning worked nicely. I had a passable cup of coffee from the trolley approaching Birmingham, my tickets were checked twice by the friendly and efficient train managers, once before and once after Birmingham, and a faultless run followed arriving on time into Exeter St Davids. I always enjoy the run through Somerset in particular as well as the rolling fields around the Lickey Hills.

I had toyed with staying on to ride over the seawall to Newton Abbot or Plymouth but decided I would rather do some local units to a couple of favourite pubs.

20230609_114629.jpg
43239 standing at Exeter St Davids waiting time.

I decided to take 150s 221 and 265 on 2F15 1152 to Exmouth as far as Topsham, the crossing point on the single line from Exmouth Junction to Exmouth. Not a remarkable route, though pleasant once you get past Topsham.

Very nostalgic for me though as the Sandy Bay Holiday Park near Exmouth was a regular destination for me as a child and piling off a HST at St Davids on to the 150 down the branch was a nearly annual event.

However, today's destination at Topsham was the Bridge Inn. An ancient pub serving marvellous local gravity real ales from their cellar on the banks of the River Clyst. I got off the train and a 5 minute walk found me there. The 57 bus rumbled past as I walked - no longer the Bristol VR of my youth but I was pleased to see the route is still intact!

20230609_120830.jpg
150221 standing at Topsham crossing a class 165 bound for Paignton
20230609_121335.jpg
The Bridge Inn, Topsham

I sampled a pint of Branoc and a pint of Wicked Wolf. Both absolutely delicious and perfect for sitting in the sunshine. I had the most amazing cheddar ploughman's too - a great shout for lunch.

20230609_121614.jpg
The River Clyst at Topsham with a pint of beer on a table.

A pleasant hour passed and it was time to head back to the station for my next move.

166221 was the motive power for 2T19 1308 to Paignton which I took as far as St Davids. Crikey, what a horrid train. The air conditioning had failed and it was boiling hot inside. The scabby old FGW interior was falling to pieces with broken trim pieces littering the place and duct tape holding things together. I was extremely glad to get off it at the other end - I felt sorry for the conductor who, like on every train I travelled on this day as it happened, was grafting away working up and down a busy train. The 150s I travelled on were a far better proposition. Nevertheless it arrived on time, reversed direction and burbled off to the west.

At St Davids I met up with a couple of friends who were holidaying in the area and boarded 2K08 1338 to Okehampton, in the hands of 150233. A quick word with the conductor on the platform to make a request stop - Newton St Cyres for the Beer Engine! I love this pub. They brew their own beer in house and the food is fantastic too.

It had been rather hit and miss to get there for many years but the introduction of the Okehampton service has filled a number of big gaps and it is now possible to visit reliably by train. We left via the local door and bid the conductor farewell and told him we hoped to be there for his return journey so please ask the driver to look out for us!

20230609_134541.jpg
150233 trundles away from the charming little halt at Newton St Cyres


20230609_134914.jpg
A half of each of the beers was sampled with my favourite being the well named Piston Bitter (pissed and bitter, get it!?).

Time passed too quickly and before long it was time to think about heading back outside to salute 150233 again and beg passage back to Exeter.

However, I had a very long journey on a Voyager to attend to on a Friday afternoon so I decided to procure myself some light relief for the journey in the form of a takeout milk bottle of beer. Piston Bitter it was and off we went to the station.

A friendly hello from the driver as the train pulled into the station and we were back on board 2R58 1455 Newton St Cyres to Exeter Central.

I bid my friends farewell as they waited for their train to their digs at Dawlish and I made my way over to platform 5 for 1S55, 1527 to Newcastle, today in the hands of 220020 and 220026, an 8 car formation. The train was busy but I made my way to the rear coach and found a pair of seats and remained undisturbed all the way to Birmingham. A few hold ups en route but the ale and some music eased the journey and I did appreciate the most efficient air conditioning on the Voyager on a hot day.

All in all it was a lovely relaxing day out and showed how good the railway can be - helpful timings with good connections, mostly well presented trains, bar the disgusting 166, friendly, visible and efficient staff.

A long way to go just for the afternoon but when the journey is part of the attraction it doesn't feel it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
Excellent trip report, given from a selfish perspective on my Eurailpass in September I have already planned to travel from Exeter to Exmouth and then the small ferry across to Starcross. While I also want to again travel on branches like Looe that day, the idea of stopping at Topsham requires investigation (although limited train frequency on the other branches makes keeping to a reasonable arrival at day's conclusion challenging).

I especially enjoyed how you photographed happy English rail users who'd just alighted at Topsham. Great to see trains being well used on a Friday, and ditto for what you said was efficient and constant ticket checking: very well done to the conductors/guards.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Clearly that was a rather enjoyable little adventure! I felt for you with the dodgy 166 it must be said, that would have been grim!

@railfan99 Be warned, that Starcross-Exmouth ferry is cash only, and is currently £5 single, £7.50 return. I did it myself on a single journey recently, a nice little trundle for around 15 minutes. It's expensive, but for a novelty journey then it's not as bad. I'd not want to do it too often though!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top