• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An example of a train leaving at 0005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I was listening to the song Queen of Hearts by Dave Edmunds and the first line is

Midnight, I'm a-waiting on the 1205...

I've looked at Real Time Trains but that requires you to put something in as a location which would be very time-consuming.

Is there a better website / do you have any examples of passenger services leaving anywhere in the UK at 0005?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
I was listening to the song Queen of Hearts by Dave Edmunds and the first line is



I've looked at Real Time Trains but that requires you to put something in as a location which would be very time-consuming.

Is there a better website / do you have any examples of passenger services leaving anywhere in the UK at 0005?

There's a departure from Marylebone at 00.05 to Banbury.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I was listening to the song Queen of Hearts by Dave Edmunds and the first line is



I've looked at Real Time Trains but that requires you to put something in as a location which would be very time-consuming.

Is there a better website / do you have any examples of passenger services leaving anywhere in the UK at 0005?

2 Up SW departures from Clapham Junction for starters....
 

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,199
I was listening to the song Queen of Hearts by Dave Edmunds and the first line is



I've looked at Real Time Trains but that requires you to put something in as a location which would be very time-consuming.

Is there a better website / do you have any examples of passenger services leaving anywhere in the UK at 0005?

00 05 Victoria - Worthing/Eastbourne is one that comes to mind
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,606
How do the auto announcers announce 00:05

We don't have such luxury as departures after midnight up north!
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
I was listening to the song Queen of Hearts by Dave Edmunds
I really like Dave Edmunds, but I have a real issue with that song.
Specifically, the second line which says:
Hoping it'll take me just a little farther down the line
C'mon Dave! I know you recorded it in 1979, but even then you didn't need to hope that BR would just get you a little farther down the line! :lol:
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
There is an 00:05 from London Waterloo to Bournemouth where it should arrive at 02:15, though often terminates short due to engineering work and the onwards journey is a road replacement bus...
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
There is an 00:05 from London Waterloo to Bournemouth where it should arrive at 02:15, though often terminates short due to engineering work and the onwards journey is a road replacement bus...

Ditto the 0105 (Southampton via East Putney)
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Yes, i believe 00:00 does not exist on the railway. It's either 23:59 or 00:01.

Not quite so... see my comment in another thread...

I am aware of at least one permanent schedule for a train which shows a stop as having a departure time of 00.00 on crew diagrams (but sometimes not on websites using open source data).

However, it's a set-down-only stop and therefore it shouldn't result in public confusion. In fact, it's actually usually indicated as 00D00, where "D" means set-down-only, but that's probably irrelevant.

I checked this only the other day and it's still there, on at least one train...
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
I was listening to the song Queen of Hearts by Dave Edmunds

What excellent musical taste. That had me going through my LP collection, it's the first track on side 2 of the album Repeat When Necessary. Now being played.

00.05 MO Liverpool St to Gidea Park by the way.
 

mm333

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
776
Location
53.8331°N 1.7734°W
Indeed. No chance of finding something for "the midnight train to Georgia" ;)

There’s a 11.50pm service from Rock Mount, North Carolina to Savannah and Jesup, Georgia. Or you can board an Amtrak at 12.22am in Greensboro, North Carolina, board for Toccoa, Gainesville and Atlanta, Georgia.

But nothing that leaves at 0000 for Georgia, no.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
I know you recorded it in 1979...

Set me thinking back 40 years.... could only quickly find a 1981 timetable.

There was an 0005 Sheffield,, but an even better candidate would have been the 0005 Penzance sleeper. Of course it didn't have to be a London terminus but....
 

boxy321

Member
Joined
20 Jun 2016
Messages
449
LM from New St. to Coventry. Leaves the airport at 0005!

I've never been on it...
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Therefore ironic that the Cornish sleepers are known as the "Up Midnight" and the "Down Midnight"!

Guess that's just local lingo for the sleeper then, though as today's pnz to pad leaves at 2145 and the pad to pnz leaves at 2345, don't know why they call them that as they don't appear to have any station stop at midnight anywhere or a 00:00 passing time....
 

davetheguard

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
1,939
There's an 00.05 from Barnstaple to Exeter on Friday nights (or strictly Saturday mornings) only.

I don't know if anyone ever catches it, but I assume it's mainly a result of the branch being resourced from the Exeter end only, and the resulting need to get the set and crew back to depot.
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
0005 London Paddington to Twyford on Saturday nights / Sunday AM. Not the last departure, or even the penultimate service!
 

ChrisHogan

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2016
Messages
354
Guess that's just local lingo for the sleeper then, though as today's pnz to pad leaves at 2145 and the pad to pnz leaves at 2345, don't know why they call them that as they don't appear to have any station stop at midnight anywhere or a 00:00 passing time....

For a long time the Penzance sleeper had a WTT departure time from Paddn of 0005 although the public time was brought back to 0002 and then 2359. The last change was to avoid passengers booking and turning up for the train on the wrong night!

When I was at Paddn (1979-1986), the Penzance sleeper was referred to by staff as "The Big Sleeper", a title that was transferred from the 0055 of earlier days that was sleeper only.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top