• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amtrak Chicago to San Fransisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Good luck on your trip.
Tips take sunglasses, and watch out for bobcats, sasquatches, and coyotes.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
When I travelled on Amtrak, over 30 years ago now, there were books available that gave details of what you could see on the lineside. This is probably a good idea, particularly for the section east of Denver where the prairie can get pretty monotonous. The most dramatic section is between Denver and Salt Lake City, I believe still timetabled to pass through in daylight, which includes the twisting climb up to the Moffat Tunnel and a long section in the Colorado River gorge (only partly spoiled by being shared with a highway).
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,039
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Hi all we have booked this beginning of October any tips? We have booked a 2 man room

Enjoy! If you've booked a roomette then it'll be 'cosy'.. get some quality time in the observation car. The Man in Seat 61 did a fine Zephyr guide if you're interested, though it almost requires a spoiler tag to see photos ahead of your trip.

What's a 3-day coast-to-coast train journey actually like? This page will show you in pictures, using the most scenic route via Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago and the celebrated California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco.
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,913
Location
Cambridge, UK
When I travelled on Amtrak, over 30 years ago now, there were books available that gave details of what you could see on the lineside. This is probably a good idea, particularly for the section east of Denver where the prairie can get pretty monotonous. The most dramatic section is between Denver and Salt Lake City, I believe still timetabled to pass through in daylight, which includes the twisting climb up to the Moffat Tunnel and a long section in the Colorado River gorge (only partly spoiled by being shared with a highway).
Agree with all of that, and would add the crossing of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California (between Truckee and Roseville, over Donner Pass - 80+ miles of mountain scenery). Roseville is also home to a major Union Pacific freight sorting yard and loco depot.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

get some quality time in the observation car.
Yes, definitely! :smile:
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,715
Location
West Riding
Take backup provisions, be prepared to be social, don't expect luxury service, have a good time, don't annoy the staff, expect to be delayed. Make sure you wake up early for good seats in the lounge car on the morning you reach Denver as that's by far the best day in terms of scenery, with the day after being the second best scenically. It will be worth being in the observation car on the first afternoon/evening to potentially make friends though.

I did a detailed trip report of this run from September last year if you'd like to read it. Slighty different, as I booked a roomette but was downgraded to Coach class, so be aware there is a slight risk that could happen to you too. Still a very enjoyable experience however.

 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,528
Location
LBK
Bring 1s and 5s for tips, tip after every meal (I do 3 dollars after breakfast and 5 each after lunch and dinner) and tip your car attendant when you arrive. Do not plan anything for the day you arrive; delays are common and can be lengthy.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,715
Location
West Riding
Bring 1s and 5a for tips, tip after every meal and tip your car attendant when you arrive. Do not plan anything for the day you arrive; delays are common and can be lengthy.
Excellent point; you may be very tired too at that stage.
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
538
Location
Hawarden
We did 6 weeks Criss Crossing America in 1991 on Amtrak and met some wonderful people and saw some amazing scenery (this was January though so short days and lots of snow etc). All the main Long Distance Routes used to supply Guide booklets on board that detailed the route and points of interest along the way - not sure if they still provide these. We were on the way from home after 18 Months travelling from UK via Trans Siberian Railway to China and South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii so spent up cashwise. So spent a few overnight journeys in Coach Class. Very comfortable and beautiful views from the upper deck coach class seats - similar to flying First Class in terms of legroom, width of seats and the seats reclined almost to flat for sleeping.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,264
absolutely superb experience when I did in the same type of room as you, albeit about 15 years ago now. Highly recommend it. Trip of a lifetime IMHO.

I noted that many Americans regard Amtrak staff as a bit on the surly / or unhelpful side. I did not find this at all, but the staff attitude is a bit more like you would expect on public transport in the UK, (so what we would be used to) rather than the 'over eager to please' style of customer service to be found in many US retail and restaurant type environments. I know I am stereotyping here so apols to any Americans reading this as no offence intended! Having said that when chatting to the staff I found them friendly, helpful and polite - with the vast majority more than earning any tips I was happy to give them. Our sleeping car attendant was particularly helpful, and in my view, a genuinely nice guy (ie not trying to be nice juts to earn a tip).

Make use of the observation car / buffet car as well as the restaurant meals included in your fare. By all means spend time in your own room during the day if you want a bit of a break from the communal feeling in the observation cars etc - but make use of them to chat to other travellers. Ppl are really friendly (tho there is definitely a gap between aspects of the UK and US sense of humour which is occasionally a bit puzzling - on that front things got a bit easier when we bumped into some Australians on the train and realised we were 'less separated by a common language' :lol: )

I assume you still get sat for dining at the next available seat when you arrive for your meal - which means you often sit with different people each meal which can be a great way to meet people and chat to them, or avoid them at the next meal if you want to meet someone else!

The showers in the lower deck of the sleeping car were perfectly acceptable

Because the rooms are 'cosy' you check in bigger bags - so make sure you have a 'cabin bag' that is not too big but has in it what you need for the journey - eg book / camera / changes of day and night wear / cosmetics / razor etc etc

And keep cosmetics in sealed plastic bag! One of mine leaked due to the pressure change in altitude as the train went from the plains up into the Rockies! Something I did not predict:s

All the info from ppl above matches my thoughts on it.

There's loads to see and it can be a great idea to wake early / go to bed late at different locations to see the views at different light levels on different days.

Amtrack used to produce paper 'route / viewing guides' of what you could see out of the window and these were available on the train but I think no longer prints these - but pdf copies are still lurking around on the web

Here is one you can print off and take:


You used to be able to buy souvenirs / postcards etc from the buffet car too - depending on stocks - but if you want any try and buy them early in your journey as they sell out and do not re-stock - assuming they still sell such stuff of course.
 

Class45

Member
Joined
7 May 2011
Messages
75
I did this trip back in 2006 and my experience pretty much matches those above. One thing that surprised me is that every so often we would stop for a 'smoke break' and all the smokers on the train would rush outside for their nicotine fix. One break was at Winnemucca, Nevada, which really is in the back end of nowhere. I asked the sleeping car attendant if I had time to walk up to the front of the train to take a picture of the locos, he said 'sure but keep a look out for rattlesnakes'. I decided I didn't really need a picture of the locos after all..
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I did this trip back in 2006 and my experience pretty much matches those above. One thing that surprised me is that every so often we would stop for a 'smoke break' and all the smokers on the train would rush outside for their nicotine fix. One break was at Winnemucca, Nevada, which really is in the back end of nowhere. I asked the sleeping car attendant if I had time to walk up to the front of the train to take a picture of the locos, he said 'sure but keep a look out for rattlesnakes'. I decided I didn't really need a picture of the locos after all..

I don't think Amtrak has officially scheduled "smoke breaks".

It is more that much of the lines are single track, so the train has to stop somewhere to wait for a train coming in the opposite direction.

Due to late running of both passenger and freight trains, the duration and location of these stops can vary from day to day, even on the same route.
 

Class45

Member
Joined
7 May 2011
Messages
75
I think you're right but they were announced as smoke breaks ( replying to duncanp )
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,913
Location
Cambridge, UK
I don't think Amtrak has officially scheduled "smoke breaks".

It is more that much of the lines are single track, so the train has to stop somewhere to wait for a train coming in the opposite direction.

Due to late running of both passenger and freight trains, the duration and location of these stops can vary from day to day, even on the same route.
The longer scheduled stops are usually operating crew (Engineer & Conductor) change points and/or servicing stops. On-board service crew (catering & car attendants etc.) normally stay with/sleep on the long-distance trains for the whole journey.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,715
Location
West Riding
Also be aware that if your train starts to run late, the smoke breaks might not happen or may be curtailed, so you can’t really depend on them
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Did this, the California Zephyr about 4 years ago. Two nights on the train. Was amazing and great value, all meals and soft drinks tea coffee were included with the price of a roomette. Had a great time, car attendant was excellent and went out her way to help. Getting a shower (at 50mph) each morning was entertaining.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,264
Did this, the California Zephyr about 4 years ago. Two nights on the train. Was amazing and great value, all meals and soft drinks tea coffee were included with the price of a roomette. Had a great time, car attendant was excellent and went out her way to help. Getting a shower (at 50mph) each morning was entertaining.
I know what you mean! Tho I think it is the ride quality and the track quality not the speed that creates the issue.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
5,980
I did this trip back in 2006 and my experience pretty much matches those above. One thing that surprised me is that every so often we would stop for a 'smoke break' and all the smokers on the train would rush outside for their nicotine fix. One break was at Winnemucca, Nevada, which really is in the back end of nowhere. I asked the sleeping car attendant if I had time to walk up to the front of the train to take a picture of the locos, he said 'sure but keep a look out for rattlesnakes'. I decided I didn't really need a picture of the locos after all..

I was once told that I wasn't supposed to step onto the platform unless I was smoking! (But was allowed to get off and take a photo of the locomotives anyway).

At once point just before phasing smoking out completely on trains, they would have short periods where smoking was allowed in the lounge. From memory (and I'm finding it a little hard to believe that I am remembering this correctly) the time I encountered this they left an exterior door open to help the smoke dissipate.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Also be aware that if your train starts to run late, the smoke breaks might not happen or may be curtailed, so you can’t really depend on them

This happened when I travelled from Chicago to St Louis earlier this year.

The train continues on to Kansas City, Missouri, and normally there is a 20 minute break at St Louis for a crew change, refuelling the train, restocking the cafe car etc.

However on the day I was travelling, the train was an hour late into St Louis, and as we were arriving there was an announcement that the stop at St Louis would be very short, and that people shouldn't linger on the platform for too long.
 
Joined
23 Sep 2009
Messages
88
Location
Most probably in work
Take backup provisions, be prepared to be social, don't expect luxury service, have a good time, don't annoy the staff, expect to be delayed. Make sure you wake up early for good seats in the lounge car on the morning you reach Denver as that's by far the best day in terms of scenery, with the day after being the second best scenically. It will be worth being in the observation car on the first afternoon/evening to potentially make friends though.

I did a detailed trip report of this run from September last year if you'd like to read it. Slighty different, as I booked a roomette but was downgraded to Coach class, so be aware there is a slight risk that could happen to you too. Still a very enjoyable experience however.

Down graded? Surely not
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,715
Location
West Riding
Down graded? Surely not
I’m not joking. Amtrak has experienced staffing and rolling stock shortages over the last couple of years. They didn’t have anyone to staff the sleeper car I’d booked in and weren’t particularly accommodating about the situation. I’d booked plans around my Amtrak trip so didn’t have the flexibility to change dates to a different one. I booked months in advance and they gave me 4 weeks notice of the downgrade. However, despite the downgrade it was still worth doing the Californa Zephyr and with a bit of planning I made it as comfortable as I could for the journey in Coach.
 

Mainline421

Member
Joined
7 May 2013
Messages
910
Location
Aberystwyth
I took that train last month so can answer any specifics.
I don't think Amtrak has officially scheduled "smoke breaks".

It is more that much of the lines are single track, so the train has to stop somewhere to wait for a train coming in the opposite direction.

Due to late running of both passenger and freight trains, the duration and location of these stops can vary from day to day, even on the same route.
They're anounced as Smoke Stops, and were marked as "fresh air stops" on the timetable pinned on the wall.
Bring 1s and 5s for tips, tip after every meal (I do 3 dollars after breakfast and 5 each after lunch and dinner) and tip your car attendant when you arrive. Do not plan anything for the day you arrive; delays are common and can be lengthy.
Most people didn't tip in the dining car in my experience, unlike in restaurants they're paid full wages.
I assume you still get sat for dining at the next available seat when you arrive for your meal - which means you often sit with different people each meal which can be a great way to meet people and chat to them, or avoid them at the next meal if you want to meet someone else!

You used to be able to buy souvenirs / postcards etc from the buffet car too - depending on stocks - but if you want any try and buy them early in your journey as they sell out and do not re-stock - assuming they still sell such stuff of course.
They will always seat you with others even when there's empty tables, which I hate the idea of but actually does prove a great way to meet people and lead to many interesting conversations. No souvenirs or anything as far as I could tell, although they did have some off-menu drinks.
 

Attachments

  • 20230619_083649.JPG
    20230619_083649.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 52

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,528
Location
LBK
Most people didn't tip in the dining car in my experience, unlike in restaurants they're paid full wages.
That’s rare, and bad form. Tipping is expected on Amtrak and is part of the culture. 30+ trips here, never seen people routinely not tip.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,264
They will always seat you with others even when there's empty tables, which I hate the idea of but actually does prove a great way to meet people and lead to many interesting conversations. No souvenirs or anything as far as I could tell, although they did have some off-menu drinks.
This is both traditional (method inherited from shipping line restaurants and indeed still used on the more trad cruise lines) and makes operational sense as the dining car main attendant who needs to sit people will not know if the next people to come along to dine are a group/family of four and need four seats together. If they sat a single or a couple on a new table for 4 they would then have to spilt the group of 4, which they would find unsatisfactory. In the interests of efficiency and good customer service. Probably keeps the tips up too (from the group of 4)....:lol:
 
Joined
23 Sep 2009
Messages
88
Location
Most probably in work
absolutely superb experience when I did in the same type of room as you, albeit about 15 years ago now. Highly recommend it. Trip of a lifetime IMHO.

I noted that many Americans regard Amtrak staff as a bit on the surly / or unhelpful side. I did not find this at all, but the staff attitude is a bit more like you would expect on public transport in the UK, (so what we would be used to) rather than the 'over eager to please' style of customer service to be found in many US retail and restaurant type environments. I know I am stereotyping here so apols to any Americans reading this as no offence intended! Having said that when chatting to the staff I found them friendly, helpful and polite - with the vast majority more than earning any tips I was happy to give them. Our sleeping car attendant was particularly helpful, and in my view, a genuinely nice guy (ie not trying to be nice juts to earn a tip).

Make use of the observation car / buffet car as well as the restaurant meals included in your fare. By all means spend time in your own room during the day if you want a bit of a break from the communal feeling in the observation cars etc - but make use of them to chat to other travellers. Ppl are really friendly (tho there is definitely a gap between aspects of the UK and US sense of humour which is occasionally a bit puzzling - on that front things got a bit easier when we bumped into some Australians on the train and realised we were 'less separated by a common language' :lol: )

I assume you still get sat for dining at the next available seat when you arrive for your meal - which means you often sit with different people each meal which can be a great way to meet people and chat to them, or avoid them at the next meal if you want to meet someone else!

The showers in the lower deck of the sleeping car were perfectly acceptable

Because the rooms are 'cosy' you check in bigger bags - so make sure you have a 'cabin bag' that is not too big but has in it what you need for the journey - eg book / camera / changes of day and night wear / cosmetics / razor etc etc

And keep cosmetics in sealed plastic bag! One of mine leaked due to the pressure change in altitude as the train went from the plains up into the Rockies! Something I did not predict:s

All the info from ppl above matches my thoughts on it.

There's loads to see and it can be a great idea to wake early / go to bed late at different locations to see the views at different light levels on different days.

Amtrack used to produce paper 'route / viewing guides' of what you could see out of the window and these were available on the train but I think no longer prints these - but pdf copies are still lurking around on the web

Here is one you can print off and take:


You used to be able to buy souvenirs / postcards etc from the buffet car too - depending on stocks - but if you want any try and buy them early in your journey as they sell out and do not re-stock - assuming they still sell such stuff of course.
Brilliant thank you
 
Joined
23 Sep 2009
Messages
88
Location
Most probably in work
Not long back from this trip it was great :smile: we did SF to Chicago.
The stretch SF to Denver was the best with amazing views and great sunny weather, Denver to Chicago was ok nowhere near as good as the first part, we were delayed by nearly 3 hrs by the time we arrived in Chicago.
We printed off the sheet and it was great to use as we moved along looking out for things thank you.
Didn't mind sitting next to other travellers at meal times but thought it odd we still had to be squashed in when we were on the last sitting in the dining car when it was only 1/3 full.
Train very dated now and a bit curly on the edges.
Tipped accordingly and found the vast majority of the staff very friendly and good fun.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,264
Not long back from this trip it was great :smile: we did SF to Chicago.
The stretch SF to Denver was the best with amazing views and great sunny weather, Denver to Chicago was ok nowhere near as good as the first part, we were delayed by nearly 3 hrs by the time we arrived in Chicago.
We printed off the sheet and it was great to use as we moved along looking out for things thank you.
Didn't mind sitting next to other travellers at meal times but thought it odd we still had to be squashed in when we were on the last sitting in the dining car when it was only 1/3 full.
Train very dated now and a bit curly on the edges.
Tipped accordingly and found the vast majority of the staff very friendly and good fun.
Thanks - great to read your feedback!
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,039
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
@Jack in England glad you had a great time!

Didn't mind sitting next to other travellers at meal times but thought it odd we still had to be squashed in when we were on the last sitting in the dining car when it was only 1/3 full.

Sitting with strangers in the dining car is absolutely part of the experience. You get to meet all sorts of interesting people and it's always one of the highlights of those long routes for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top