• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AMT Coffee goes into adminstration... then gets bought out by SSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,962
Location
Ely

Thanks - well, maybe then it will make the waiting room a little less noisy, without the clattering of machines and people behind the counter chatting and so forth. Not particularly negative as far as I'm concerned!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,885
Location
East Anglia
Ah, is/was the one adjoining the waiting room on platform 1 also an AMT? I wasn't sure, and I didn't go down to the London end of the platforms on Monday.

I tried to have a look at the 'stations made easy' on NR's site, but that's taken a massive step backwards from how it was a few years back...

Sorry I’ve never looked at that. Yes, AMT either end on platforms 1 & 4 plus the newer one on the island.
 

Evelynm

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2021
Messages
26
Location
Truro
AMT is one of the better chains, remember seeing one at Brussels North surprisingly a few years ago. I guess the Oxford Station one will close, but not to worry as there is a shiny new Pret there now, and a greggs!
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,885
Location
East Anglia
AMT is one of the better chains, remember seeing one at Brussels North surprisingly a few years ago. I guess the Oxford Station one will close, but not to worry as there is a shiny new Pret there now, and a greggs!

The one in Brussels Centraal was a claim to fame of mine. In the UK you just show your railway staff pass for discount. I tried it there & the little Chinese man serving stopped making a waffle, gave me a hug & refused to take the 2€ for the coffee. Was a surreal experience.
 

Evelynm

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2021
Messages
26
Location
Truro
The one in Brussels Centraal was a claim to fame of mine. In the UK you just show your railway staff pass for discount. I tried it there & the little Chinese man serving stopped making a waffle, gave me a hug & refused to take the 2€ for the coffee. Was a surreal experience.
Ah yes Central, not North. Close!
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
Well, they used to be really rather good.....

I noticed the one in Oxford station had closed recently. The reason being obvious, and not so much to do with any downturn in travel, as with the arrival, in the same booking hall area, of small branches of, first, Costa, and then not only Pret but also Greggs for good measure (to accompany the existing Upper Crust).

Which seems something of an overkill, but if the idea was to get rid of the best purveyor of coffee in the station, it certainly succeeded.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Well, they used to be really rather good.....

I noticed the one in Oxford station had closed recently. The reason being obvious, and not so much to do with any downturn in travel, as with the arrival, in the same booking hall area, of small branches of, first, Costa, and then not only Pret but also Greggs for good measure (to accompany the existing Upper Crust).

Which seems something of an overkill, but if the idea was to get rid of the best purveyor of coffee in the station, it certainly succeeded.

Wow it's all changed since I last went then! Good to know Pret is available for coffee!
 
Joined
27 May 2021
Messages
696
Location
Daventry
The AMTs at Cambridge have been closed for at least 2 weeks.

I'm not a coffee drinker either, but I drank a lot of their tea, and they were top of the chart for hot chocolate with cream.

If I had time then I also used the AMT at St Pancras near the EMR platforms which was a great place to sit and watch the world go by, especially if the sun was shining through Barlow's trainshed roof.


Pumpkin's pricing is very expensive. In the olden days Bite Card discount brought Pumpkin prices in line with competitors, but then they reduced the discount and that no longer applied. There were 2 Pumpkins that I particularly liked, which were Northampton and Peterborough. Both used to have very good cakes, but its a long while since I visited either.
The Pumpkin at Northampton hasn't exsisted since the Station reconstruction of 2013 (?)...
 

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
The last time I used one was 13th December 2014, so won't particularly be missed by me. It's that long ago I can't particularly recall whether it was nice or not, but I think they did give us a free giant chocolate coin.

Used a few other retailers since, but very infrequently. Pumpkin was always a bit of a gamble for me as my card never seemed to work there, although it'd be fine anywhere else. Lead to a couple of free coffees, but I always felt guilty and embarrassed doing it. I'm also one of the few that do actually like Upper Crust, but the last time I brought something it was too expensive to claim back under my work expenses policy so won't be doing that again.

As long as there's the option of getting something wet and hot I'm happy, although generally I won't pay for coffee while I'm out. I'll either take a travel mug or, if it's a long journey, a litre flask of water, mug, and tin of coffee.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
Well, they used to be really rather good.....

I noticed the one in Oxford station had closed recently. The reason being obvious, and not so much to do with any downturn in travel, as with the arrival, in the same booking hall area, of small branches of, first, Costa, and then not only Pret but also Greggs for good measure (to accompany the existing Upper Crust).

Which seems something of an overkill, but if the idea was to get rid of the best purveyor of coffee in the station, it certainly succeeded.
It certainly was the best of the bunch IMO. Big shame.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
AMT has closed at Haymarket Station and so has the old Pumpkin on Platform 4.

There is a coffee wagon opposite where AMT used to be and an M&S Food - if they had their wits about them they should stick a Coffee Machine in there as M&S machines not bad judging by the one at Birmingham Airport.
 

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,548
I was at Guy's Hospital on Friday last week and the AMT branch there was in a strange state with no food, and a very makeshift price list for basic coffees
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I was interested to note yesterday at London Euston that the SSP's Ritazza outlet was closed. I didn't have the opportunity to read the paper notices on the shutters though.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
All the Ritazza’s went a while back now

Oh wow, fair enough. I didn't really notice, I had one at Southampton Central in early November but didn't realise it would be my last one. Perhaps that's why there was no Ritazza branded cups that day.

I wonder who will be next!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
The best thing about AMT was the seasoned pretzels, but nine times out of ten they'd only have plain ones left. I suppose that's the downside of having premises smaller than a bus shelter.
 

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
The one at Dublin Connolly was open again today but had a 50% off sale on everything - including coffee. Hot drinks were being served in "Frank & Honest" cups (it's an Irish coffee company).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top