• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam to Stockport

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMarsupial

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2021
Messages
126
Location
High Peak
Travelling ( single journey ) from Amsterdam to Stockport by train. Am I correct to assume I cannot book through and need to book Amsterdam to St Pancras and then Euston to Stockport? Is there a way I can book an Advance from Euston which is flexible in case of delay on the Eurostar - I suspect not but just asking.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,292
Is it still possible to book tickets from London International (CIV) to Stockport?

If so, would that help any?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,138
Location
Wilmslow
Yes, one solution was to buy a ticket from London International (CIV) such as below, but then the problem was finding someone who would sell this. It was possible to buy these from a station, so if the price is right, it'd be a good option. Obviously this is not an advance ticket; such things do exist in the fares database so it might be possible to find someone who'll sell one.
Personally, I've not bothered but instead gone for a long lunch in London on the way back and used a regular advance for a later trip. But that circumvents the problem in a way that suited me, it isn't really a solution.
1653043648484.png

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

1653044559091.png
See https://www.seat61.com/european-travel-from-uk-regions.htm#London International CIV
  • How to buy these tickets online...
    London International CIV tickets cannot now be bought online, you must go to a staffed station or perhaps call a train operator telesales.
  • Buy them in person at your local station: Help staff by quoting destination code LNE...
    You must show your Eurostar ticket to qualify. The flexible Saver variety (but not the cheaper Advance type) can be bought on the day of travel if necessary as the price doesn't change, no advance reservation is necessary, and they are available in unlimited numbers. Ticket office staff aren't always 100% familiar with these London International fares, some even deny their existence, so if they feign ignorance, be prepared to be polite but firm and if they say they can't find it on their ticket machine say you want destination code "LNE".

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Travelling ( single journey ) from Amsterdam to Stockport by train. Am I correct to assume I cannot book through and need to book Amsterdam to St Pancras and then Euston to Stockport? Is there a way I can book an Advance from Euston which is flexible in case of delay on the Eurostar - I suspect not but just asking.
Also, I'm reasonably sure (and the man in seat 61 confirms) that it used to be possible to book through with eurostar.com but this is no longer possible.

EDIT Note that the restriction code EA for the EURO HIGH SAVER CIV single ticket is to exclude trains departing Euston before 09:15, so unlikely to be an issue for a second leg after a trip from Amsterdam. Its price is the same as the off-peak single ticket, but without the afternoon restrictions Mon-Thu.
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,781
Location
UK
Travelling ( single journey ) from Amsterdam to Stockport by train. Am I correct to assume I cannot book through and need to book Amsterdam to St Pancras and then Euston to Stockport? Is there a way I can book an Advance from Euston which is flexible in case of delay on the Eurostar - I suspect not but just asking.
Depending on the price of tickets for the Eurostar, and the availability of Advances to/from Euston, buying an Interrail pass may cost a not dissimilar amount. Particularly if you are doing other travel on either end (if you live in the UK, it would be valid for one outward and return journey to/from anywhere in the UK). It is also now the only kind of 'through' ticket you can buy to the continent.
 

plugwash

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2015
Messages
1,995
I did a trip to Marsellie from the greater Manchester area on interrail, some caveats to be aware ot.

1. Reservation fees can be quite significant and if you book your reservations through the interrail site they slap a booking fee on top. IIRC the interrail pass was about £200 but I spent nearly £100 on top in reservation and booking fees.
2. Eurostar limit the number of interrail reservations, I was unable to find any usable Eurostart reservations to/from Paris on the days I needed and nearly ended up requesting a refund on the pass. Fortunately in the end after a bunch of fiddling round with the interrail journey planner I managed to get workable Itineries changing in Lille.

It's not clear to me what happens if you miss your reservation on interrail due to a delay on a previous train.
 

MadMarsupial

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2021
Messages
126
Location
High Peak
It is part of a business trip so I have to submit receipts. Even if the Interrail worked out as cheap I can't imagine TPTB being happy with me buying an Interrail ticket. I am resigned to buying the ticket to St Pancras separately and probably building in a bit of pub time. Thanks to all contributors.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top