• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam NightJet tickets for July disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGurney

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2021
Messages
420
Location
Saltburn / Danby
Is anyone here knowledgeable about OBB NightJet ticketing?

I am sure that a few days ago their website offered tickets available to book for Vienna - Amsterdam on several different days in July. However yesterday, having settled which date I wanted, I looked again and found there are no bookings open for any dates in July (they are available up to 31st June). I have just looked again, still the same. I doubt they have sold out consistently for every day in July for all categories, so presumably they have been withdrawn from sale after being available earlier, which seems odd. I suppose I could have been mistaken earlier (e.g. looked at June instead of July) but that seems unlikely as I made notes about fares on offer (e.g. for 'Wed 16th' and 'Thur 17th', which do occur in July but not in June).

Does anyone here know what is happening or when the tickets might reappear?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
The main line NL->DE, via Emmerich/border, is out of use during most of summer (Arnhem->Duisburg), due to very long term construction of a 3d track aimed for the goods trains. This was announced before-and I think also posted/mentioned here. The NJ should be rerouted, mostly via the Venlo border-or via the more northern Hengelo-Bad bentheim-which will also affect its routing In DE a lot. Thats a major factor with nite-trains: that all kinds of works along what is usually a quite long way are done in the night, causing need to reroute.
I guess/assume that now again newer plans are being made. The usual method then is to postpone all bookings untill it is more definite final. And it is not that long ago that anyone knew one could only book trains/space from 2 month before traveldate. IF timings change with >20 mins railways have to dole out all kinds of compensation-and of course they rather avoid that if not needed.
Why is it that nowadays so many, many people seem to think those (IMHO rather overrated) Nite-Trains are fully booked so long before? In practice this often only melts down to the very sparse, quite expensive and sought after private single comptms. Forums like TA=TripAdvisor (general touristy info) are full of that.
 

JGurney

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2021
Messages
420
Location
Saltburn / Danby
The main line NL->DE, via Emmerich/border, is out of use during most of summer (Arnhem->Duisburg) .... The NJ should be rerouted, ...... I guess/assume that now again newer plans are being made. The usual method then is to postpone all bookings untill it is more definite final.
Thanks, that makes good sense. I'll keep checking for them.
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,456
Location
Amersfoort, NL
Thanks, that makes good sense. I'll keep checking for them.
The post by dutchflyer actually makes no sense at all, as the Nightjet timetable is already adjusted for the entire timetable year due to the works at Emmerich - Oberhausen. Vienna - Amsterdam Nightjets are rerouted via Bad Bentheim.

I believe there would also be a period with works in the Netherlands having impact, but couldn't find any after June yet.
 

alan71

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2010
Messages
53
Similarly, Paris to Vienna isn’t available after May - engineering somewhere?
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
Paris/Brussels-Vienna/Berlin is often only available around 3 months in advance, sometimes less. More than 3 months is already a bonus.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
The tickets have now reappeared on sale.
IIRC (from post on a FB group) for a couple of days departures from NL were completely blocked for several months while services to NL were fine. A glitch?
@rvdborgt may remember more of the detail.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,605
Location
Wales
Paris/Brussels-Vienna/Berlin is often only available around 3 months in advance, sometimes less. More than 3 months is already a bonus.
I asked Ffestiniog Travel about Berlin-Brussels just after Easter, but nothing yet available. European Sleeper is a plan B, but no FIP discount.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
IIRC (from post on a FB group) for a couple of days departures from NL were completely blocked for several months while services to NL were fine. A glitch?
@rvdborgt may remember more of the detail.
Correct, that was 1 week ago, only for journeys from Amsterdam, not for the other direction. I didn't follow it up but suppose ÖBB fixed that after the weekend.
 

Wuffle

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2019
Messages
139
Location
East Anglia
We booked tickets for 6th April in October and had to wait until December to book return tickets - on looking at the tickets and checking the web we found OEBB are introducing new stock on 7th April, so the night we go is the last night of the old stock on that route
I wonder if OEBB were making sure they had enough stock ?
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,522
Location
Leuven
They still won't know that as test runs and crew training are still ongoing.
For dates from 7/4, ÖBB are still only offering the comfort categories available in both the old and the new rolling stock (e.g. no mini cabins), just in case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top