• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I cutting it too short, or am I overthinking this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,387
Location
ROI
I am booked on Irish Ferries 1410 from Holyhead to Dublin, cut-off for check-in is 1310.

Holding an IR 1st class pass, I was thinking about taking the 0902 from Euston, arriving at 1252, for the first class all the way to Holyhead. Therefore, leaving me 15 min leeway to check in for the ferry.

However, I grew a bit scared after finding the abysmal punctuality on that train (Only 70% of trains make it <15min late). Since I have an IR pass and not a rail&sail ticket, I don't have journey protection to be rebooked ferries in case the train is delayed, and seeing ferry prices creeping I would rather not.

Should I be instead taking the previous connections (0833 AWC to Crewe, 1021 TfW to Chester and 1055 to Holyhead)? Or am I overthinking this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gabrielhj07

Established Member
Joined
5 May 2022
Messages
1,620
Location
Herts
If it were me I’d err on the side of an earlier train. Wouldn’t be taking my chances with AWC, particularly on the North Wales Coast.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
Yeah, I wouldn’t be risking that. Even a minor delay could be problematic.
 

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,387
Location
ROI
I might actually be looking at giving myself an hour+ in Holyhead by starting at 0733, seeing how the AWC to Crewe is also abysmally unpunctual, arriving at 1142 is probably best to shield from any delays along the way. Since I can fall back on services for an arrival at 1232 or the 1254 of last resort
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
The check-in cut off for foot passengers is 30 mins unless something has changed and the website not updated.
 

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,387
Location
ROI
The check-in cut off for foot passengers is 30 mins unless something has changed and the website not updated.
Is it? My ticket clearly states 1310

Screenshot_20240609_175735_FairEmail.png

That would be great if it is 30min
 

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,387
Location
ROI
Got Irish ferries on the phone.

The rep stated that in high season (June-August) the check-in limit is 1h before sailing.

The shown 30min limit is still valid for lower season.
 
Last edited:

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,387
Location
ROI
I am at Holyhead now and both the ticket and the rep were incorrect.

Check-in does close 30min before departure, regardless of season (and is not even opened before the 1h mark).

For the ticket, I assume the system that sends the confirmation email is not programmed for foot passenger limits and only takes the car/truck limits.

Lesson learned, but that was a nice 390 (with a really good english breakfast)-197-197 trek
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
I am at Holyhead now and both the ticket and the rep were incorrect.

Check-in does close 30min before departure, regardless of season (and is not even opened before the 1h mark).

For the ticket, I assume the system that sends the confirmation email is not programmed for foot passenger limits and only takes the car/truck limits.

Lesson learned, but that was a nice 390 (with a really good english breakfast)-197-197 trek
I thought as much - the 09:02 is the key train for the two big daytime ferry departures from Holyhead.

Also the bus connections into the departing ferries at Dublin Port are certainly not arriving there more than an hour ahead of their sailing.
 

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,387
Location
ROI
And I actually was very right in not betting on Avanti Voyagers that Wendnesday, because the 0902 service got cancelled due to a fault on an earlier train. At least got time for a chippy.

12, 13 (signalling) and 14th (shortage of crew) June's 0902 got cancelled.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,717
Location
West Riding
Glad it worked out for you. Building in some redundancy when trip planning is really important :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top