• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I best driving or using the train at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
I have to go into Derby for something tomorrow and I would prefer not to drive as parking is a pain.

Given the virus outbreak I was wondering what is the current advice about using the trains? Am I best driving or is it ok to use the trains?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2012
Messages
1,067
We’ve just returned from a fortnight’s holiday, taking in points as far apart as London, Penzance, Kyle of Lochalsh and Inverness.

Twenty four separate train services, including mainline, branch line, sleepers and The Jacobite, and four Underground ones.

Every single train was notably clean; staff seemed mostly relaxed; masks were worn by I’d say well over 90% of fellow passengers, who seemed to be in good humour or at least as relaxed as the staff; folks ate and drank considerately (no stinky burgers, as Station outlets mostly closed), often with pre-prepared picnics. No tutting when masks were removed to do so.

We travelled with a little bottle of hand sanitiser and some antibacterial wipes so that, after giving table and armrests the once over, we felt completely comfortable if we touched anything, put our iPads or books down etc., etc.

We had some of the most comfortable and unstressed rail journeys that I think we have ever had. We also used a ferry and four taxis, and they were all great, too.

I’d really have no qualms about going by rail at all, and would probably encourage it even more than ‘normal’.
 

Condor7

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Messages
1,083
Location
Penrith
According to the Rail Safety & Standards Board the risk of catching the virus on a train is very low, 1 in 11000.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,679
Location
Solihull
You are probably more at risk from a car accident than the virus, though both risks are minuscule.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,410
Location
Yorks
According to the Rail Safety & Standards Board the risk of catching the virus on a train is very low, 1 in 11000.

And that's in a carriage with 44 people for one hour.

Fewer people (which is likely, given the current situation) and it's even less.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Honestly? Trains are a dream at the moment due to being relatively quiet before people start returning to offices etc. Fill yer' boots I say!
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
Honestly? Trains are a dream at the moment due to being relatively quiet before people start returning to offices etc. Fill yer' boots I say!
Trains are not great at the moment if you dislike wearing a mask.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top