Thanks all, some great suggestions! Too many to choose from
starmill said:
Chester to Hereford
Hereford to London Paddington
...
a route Evesham Super Off-Peak Return is good value at £35 if you can make use of it coming back.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make use of the return; I'm leaving the country in a week!

I imagine the Cotswold line would be quite nice in Winter too? That'll be high on the list of routes to take towards/from London when I come back over Xmas.
I was about to suggest going via both Sheffield and Nottingham to try and pick up a HST, but +5 at Nottingham puts an end to that.
I wouldn't be confident in making that +5, especially on advances, but it got me thinking... I could catch an ex-Nottingham further down the line.
£6 1st advance VT Liverpool - Stafford, then £3 (!!) 1st advance XC Stafford to Birmingham New Street (yuck), something to fill the gap to Leicester and EMT from there for about £14 Standard/£18 1st down to St Pancakes. Only thing is I'd probably forget I even had 1st tickets and sit in standard like a wally

(I'm a student so normally super-stingy, especially having to jump ship to LM after Virgin axed their railcard easement)
Change at Wolverhampton to a service which calls at Smethwick Galton Bridge and cross over to the high level platforms for a 172 into Moor Street?
That's it, I knew there was something
I've done the journey from Newcastle to King Cross and also Leeds to Peterbrough so yes, I have. I prefer the view on the WCML however it is super fast though and I would certainly recommend it if you've not done the journey before.
The only portion of the ECML I've done is York-Newark, and I was quite impressed. It's a shame it's on the other side of the country. But I do remember being left aghast at VTEC's "special offer" on board... Three 500ml cans of beer for £9!
gray1404 said:
And how come you are suffering from Birmingham New Street syndrome at the moment!!
To anyone who lives in Brum, or is a New St aficionado, my apologies. But I think the area outside the station is a dump, there's constant construction going on as soon as you step out the door and the interior layout is simply asinine. The place is a maze. You have to battle your way through people because the platforms aren't big enough to hold a Voyager's worth of people and their luggage, and some idiots always think it's a good idea to take their oversized luggage up the escalator. And anyway, the station just feels depressing. It felt like a crypt whenever I was waiting in the dark for the last train up to Manchester. The interior now reminds me of a certain arachnid species (see attached) oh, and I think the big mirrors on the south side look ridiculous. I could go on, but I feel any more would need a new thread!