• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alnmouth - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teepee1

New Member
Joined
2 Aug 2023
Messages
2
Location
Bedfordshire
Hi, I am looking for advice booking Alnmouth to Newcastle. This is for 2 adults with a Two Together card and we want to travel on Friday 15th September
We don't mind going to Newcastle on a specific train, ideally between 10 and 11am but want to be able to return the same evening without being too restricted to timing, probably between 6 and 10pm. I have looked on booking sites but difficult to work out if we have to use same TOC for both journeys. Also I see so many posts about fines, incorrect tickets etc. with some operators so I want to get it right. As an aside, does anybody know if parking is usually available at Alnmouth on weekdays?
Thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,379
Walk up fares from Alnmouth to Newcastle are set by Northern.

The off-peak day return available on all operators has a base price of £13.40, which is £8.80 each when discounted with a Two Together Railcard.

This ticket can be used to return on any train. No need to book in advance either.

(There are a significant number of different advance single fares for this journey valid with different operators that will be causing the confusion about having to pick a particular train and operator.)
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
No guarantees, but there's a fair amount of parking at Alnmouth station, so finding a space should be OK.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

A quick check on Google Maps (satellite view) reminds me that there are car parks on both sides of the station and a footbridge between the two sides.
 

Teepee1

New Member
Joined
2 Aug 2023
Messages
2
Location
Bedfordshire
Thank you for your replies, I will buy the tickets on the day as it looks like Alnmouth has a ticket office.
 

PigScroll

Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
7
Location
UK
Staff in the ticket office at ALM are very helpful, so you should have no problem at all. There's also a ticket machine if for some reason the office closed.

The car park on the southbound side is free but gets very busy, I'd be surprised if there's any spaces at that time on a Friday. Northbound is pay & display but I've never seen it more than 3/4 full so that might be your best bet, then over the footbridge to get your train.
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
961
Location
Whitley Bay
Just to add another idea for the original poster.

I travelled in the reverse direction a few weeks ago and bought a PlusBus ticket for Alnmouth and managed to travel by bus from Almouth station to Alnwick, then Warkworth, Amble and back again to Alnmouth for my train home all for £1.95 (as I have a railcard)

It's maybe an option .. there wouldn't be any car parking charges too
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top