• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aln Valley Railway - Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
I've really enjoyed following the progress of the Aln Valley Railway over the past few years. I love these rebuilding projects and they seem to have made quite rapid progress over the past few years. It's a bonus for me that their steam fleet now consists of two Leeds-built engines - Hudswell Clarke Richboro and Hunslet Engine Co/Lambton Colliery No.60.

I was on their facebook site today watching a video of the new arrival, No.60, on a test run. I couldn't help but notice that it looked like the two coaches used in the train seemed to be painted in BR Western region chocolate and cream livery, but numbered as BR(E) stock.I was extra confused because when I've seem images from the AVR in the past, their coaching stock has been BR Blood & Custard. I did check some other pics and images but it seemed to be similar to the white&gold/black&blue dress that caused confusion a while back - I can't tell what livery the coaches are in.

Can anyone confirm whether they've repainted their coaches into brown or whether it was just a trick of the light?

Also, they seemed to be using a brake van despite a brake coach being in the rake - anyone know why?
Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
i think the brake van is to allow for propelling as the loco can not run round - a lookout/guard can stand at the back and relay information to the driver.
 

john77

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2016
Messages
33
To answer your other question, it must be a trick of the light as the coaches have definitely not been repainted. I hope you get a chance to come and see for yourself soon !
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
i think the brake van is to allow for propelling as the loco can not run round - a lookout/guard can stand at the back and relay information to the driver.
Makes sense, thanks

To answer your other question, it must be a trick of the light as the coaches have definitely not been repainted. I hope you get a chance to come and see for yourself soon !

I thought as much. Thank you. I'm hoping to, but it's a good 2 1/2 hours drive from where I live so may have to wait until I'm on holiday in Northumberland.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top