• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Allowed route if Avanti from Edinburgh cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2020
Messages
725
Location
East Lothian
Should the Avanti service I'm intending to get from Edinburgh to Wigan (eventually going to Liverpool) be cancelled then the next sensible option would be to get to an Avanti train from Glasgow (via Queen St probably then Central).
Would that be allowed? Ticket is only restricted to via Preston.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,135
Location
Wilmslow
Do you mean
ROUTE 00275 VIA CARLISLE
although of course that’s implicitly via Preston also?

Anyway, yes, it’s valid via Glasgow as long as not otherwise restricted

There is no Avanti Edinburgh to Liverpool service, presumably also you mean TPE, or the service to London via Birmingham from Avanti.
 

eoff

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2020
Messages
725
Location
East Lothian
No, the ticket says "valid only via Preston" on it.
Yes I know there is no direct train, changing at Wigan on the way down and across Warrington on the way back. I would have to choose where to change with any alternatives I take.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

To be more explicit, the intended service is the 0852 tomorrow from EDB.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,135
Location
Wilmslow
Ah, sorry, I’m with you now, your ticket is to Liverpool, I misunderstood. Via Preston priced by TPE but not restricted to their trains only, valid via Glasgow also.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,135
Location
Wilmslow
Maps EG + GV in the routeing guide https://rgpp.iblocks.co.uk/maps

Essentially there are many “any permitted” routes and your ticket allows those of them which also go via Preston.

You can also use valid routes Edinburgh-Preston followed by valid routes Preston-Liverpool, but in this case it’s unlikely to add anything useful! Via Ormskirk, for example.
 
Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,644
Location
Greater Manchester
To be more explicit, the intended service is the 0852 tomorrow from EDB.
Looking at Recent Train Times it isn't cancelled too often (5 times in the last 100 days), but it is quite often late.

In that case I'd recomend (if it's cancelled far enough in advance).
08:30 to Glasgow Queen Street (arriving 09:16)
walk over to Glasgow Central
09:36 to Wigan North Western (arriving 12:13)
12:21 to Liverpool Lime Street (arriving 13:11)

If not then
08:57 to Glasgow Central (arriving 10:06)
10:38 to Wigan North Western (arriving 13:10)
13:21 to Liverpool Lime Street (arriving 14:09)
 

eoff

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2020
Messages
725
Location
East Lothian
Great, thanks, I noticed the second alternative from one of the journey planners. Hopefully there are no issues but I like to be prepared and to understand the options just in case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top