• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover travels, July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Might as well get this down while it's still fresh in the memory and while the shoulder still aches from carrying my bag around on it for about 80% of last week ...

Sat 2nd July.

5:30am on Doncaster station, and there's surprisingly more people around than I was expecting, there's also a 185 and a 142 that I'm definitely not starting my trip on, I'm catching the 91 down to London village. It's busier than I was expecting, filling up around Grantham & Peterborough, and everyone else - like me - is not used to being up this early, but it's a good ride down.

After an hour in St Pancras its time for a ride on one of the 395's (sorry, I can't remember the individual numbers) down to Canterbury for a spot of sightseeing. It's a fast, smooth and exciting run down through the tunnels and along the east of London, the highlight being a race between us and a unit along the north of the Thames, then it hits Ashford International and back to the 3rd rail to Canterbury, and suddenly the contrast between the speedy smooth HS1 and the ordinary network makes it feel like I'm back on a 142 doing Doncaster to Sheffield - it's probably an unfair comparison, nowhere near as rough and only because of the massive contrast in ride quality to what immediately preceded, but a train that thrashed its way through the suburbs suddenly feels clumsy and about to fall off the rails.

After Canterbury a couple of 375's took me to Dover and back to Ashford Int for the Hastings train, seeing a few 92's on the way, allowing half an hour for watching the Channel Tunnel trains thrashing through at the back of the platform. A 171 covered the Hastings route, despite being diesel it still felt a bit comfier than the 395 (Ashford-Canterbury) and the 375's, another 2 of which took me on to Battle and then (following a cancellation due to a lineside fire) on to London Bridge.

No trains to St Pancras, so its a fairly average traumatic and busy journey through the underground back there, where an attempt to board the EMT service to Sheffield is slowed by the first query of the ALR by a member of staff on the entrance gates. I'd already tried it through the machines and it didn't work, so had been showing it without problems where required, at St P the conversation went something like:

Assitant: That ticket is for Doncaster, this is London
Me: Oh? It's an All Line Rover
Ass.: uh ...
Me: It's valid for all lines, it was issued at Doncaster, that's why it says Doncaster and "issued at" just above that
Ass.: oh ... (and then lets me through)

Interestingly the ticket inspector on the train also takes a long look at the ticket before handing it back, the 222 is quite empty for early evening and gives a good run up to Sheffield (past the DRS yard at Derby, with 31s,37s,4/57s & 73 there), where another good run on a Voyager (I got a seat on this, if it had been full & I'd ended up in the vestibule I'd probably be saying something different here, nevertheless, they are quite a decent ride when you get a seat on one) takes me to Doncaster and a finishing hop on the 321 to Bentley.

Sun 3rd July.

This was always going to be a nice easy, short day, in the build up to Monday/Tuesday, though it wasn't helped by the overhead line problems causing cancellation of the train I was intending to catch. I caught a Hull 180 down to Stevenage, which was then delayed by a signal problem south of Retford for about 10 minutes, meaning I had less of a wait for the Cambridge train, a 365. It was a decent, if short run, and after a few hours of looking round Cambridge I got the 170 round to Peterborough, again fairly good even if the air conditioning was set a little cold.

Finally, a good old HST back to Doncaster in the evening, passing by what seemed to be a lot of 91's going south on the way back. So far so good, and most of the trains this weekend had been fairly quiet, only the Dover-Ashford and Ashford-Hastings had been fairly busy.

Anyway, that's the first two days over with, on Monday it was up to Scotland ... (to be continued)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mon 4th July

Another early start, this time for the 6:15 to Edinburgh and evidently whatever overhead line problems had occurred yesterday had been resolved in time for this. The 91 arrived promptly into Edinburgh, though I still had a quick run round to the Perth train with only 10 minutes between arrival and departure.

The 158 to Perth seemed noisier than the ones around here, though it too gave a decent ride and enabled me to quickly go into town to get a sandwich before the 170 to Aberdeen arrived. Another great run, very scenic, and the sunny weather meant that there were lots of golfers out on the East Coast.

The 158 from Aberdeen to Inverness was packed though, apparently it always is, probably to do with it being a whole two cars in length. The run was another good one though, even the guy sat opposite who got on at Elgin with a few cans of Strongbow wasn't that annoying ...

Back to Inverness for the first time in 5 years, glad I didn't bother bringing the loyalty card for a restaurant I went to then because it had closed! Subway it was then, followed by 2 hours of looking round before the Kyle of Lochalsh train.

Another 158 this time, the last of the Highland lines I've been on and this was one of the best runs, travelling in the late evening on a sunny day I think I probably caught it at its best there.

My accomadation at KoL wasn't the best though, a bench on the seafront after the pub closed, it was a small price to pay though.

Tue 5th July.

Arriving back at the station an hour early I find the train doors open and the lights have been switched, getting a seat and an hours sleep before it sets off was good as the weather had begun to turn slightly. The journey to Inverness is alright, though it is much cloudier, I have about 20 minutes before the 170 to Glasgow is due to depart.

Kept nodding off on the Glasgow train though, but it arrived into Queen Street with long enough to go for me to have a look around a couple of the record shops in the centre before going over to Glasgow Central for the London Train.

The Pendolino was busy, a lot of the seats reserved but I dropped on one that wasn't in a different carriage to where they said these seats were available, it gives a good ride to Preston after stopping at Carlisle and Lancaster, but shortly after passing through Stafford the journey gets a lot better.

Between Nuneaton and Euston the track improvements of the last few years have a great effect, those plus the tilting of the train itself mean the run is very fast and impressive when passing some of the local services, possibly surpassing the 395 from Saturday due to the way it takes the curves in the line.

London to Doncaster on a packed 18:30 service is a bit of a low point, even more so than the 170 toilet experience, though the 91 empties after Peterborough. I did make it back in time for the 20:26 local back home though, ready for another long journey in the morning.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Wed 6th July.

Ok, the 05:40 to Manchester then after about 6 hours sleep, I did at least feel reasonably awake until around Dore ... so then fell asleep until just before Stockport. I've done the Hope Valley line many times and was wanting to see it at this time in the morning, oh well, the 185 was predictably quiet at that time in the morning at least.

Caught a 175 to Shrewsbury, I like these units now possibly even more than the 180's, a very quiet and comfy ride past a string of old loco's & coaches outside Crewe - several class 56's rusting away quietly there. Got to Shrewsbury and discovered my camera wasn't working, as I had no time to go into the town and get some more batteries to see if it was those I would have to make do with my camera phone for the Heart of Wales line.

I had forgotten how noisy the 153 is, I used to catch one to work regularly about 10 years ago and the only difference noticable was that the toilet didn't stink out the whole carriage quite as much, suppose it could've been worse though. Another very scenic line though, not quite as impressive as the Highland lines, but some very good sights to be had all the same, it reverses just outside Swansea and then again at Swansea and after a 5 hour journey gets into Cardiff on time.

After having something to eat in Cardiff, not impressed at the speed of the staff in the M&S Food shop there, I still don't get around to trying different batteries in my Camera but do find that the Plymouth train I thought existed didn't apparently do so. I caught a 150/2 going to Taunton though, which then developed a technical fault of some sort which meant it was going to have to terminate at Bristol Temple Meads, they could've at least said something after the Severn Tunnel and spared a few thoughts of "this trains going to fail in the tunnel, isn't it".

Still, the gives me the chance of a quick look around Bristol and a free bottle of Powerade energy drink from the promoters outside, I get a packet of nuts from the shop instead of batteries - I didn't want to spend that much on them, I was hoping to find a poundshop or something.

Another Voyager down to Penzance is due about 45 minutes after I get into Bristol though, and it looks like it might be a busy one at this time. The reservations display system is broken though, so although my seat has a "This Seat is reserved for All or Part of the Journey" no-one turns up to claim it (it's not a great system, on friday the 2 Voyagers I catch also have problems with the system displaying incorrect info). The train empties towards Exeter and the run through Cornwall is very good despite the rain, just a pity that the Dawlish seafront ride wasn't as suitably dramatic as the weather would suggest, it was quite windy at Penzance.

No booking on the Night Riviera, class 57 hauled, so I wander into town for about 20 minutes before the doors on the train open. Thankfully not all the seats are reserved, and an entertaining journey is started with the crew telling off some Americans for taking pillows & a bath kit from one of the cabins that they're not using and my own instructions to some other tourists about how to use the "reclining" seats:

"Yeah, you press the button down, then push the seat and it moves about an inch, makes no difference really"

There are a couple of teenagers on who are being noisy and running round, these and a drunk get off at Plymouth though, the drunk followed someone into my carriage and was apologising for annoying them, saying he felt like "a bit of a c**t" - the appropriate response here would be "well, you are one".

Apart from not being able to sleep, which didn't affect me on other services, the automatic door on the Mk3 is out of order, and people leaving the train aren't closing it or the windows when they get out, causing a noisy cold draught. A couple of cans of Arkell's 3B and some Earl grey tea are had on this train as it continues its overnight journey.

Thu 7th July.

3am-ish and the train stops at Swindon, I have a look out of the window at the platform and its a staff change I presume. I finally get about 30 minutes sleep between here and the next stop at Reading, where it looks like another change in staff, we're in there for 10 minutes or so and then it's the final journey to Paddington. There's a couple of Class 50's at Southall, and an A4 steaming away - can't remember if it was in the same area, by that time I was a bit tired.

Paddington is reached just after 5am, as I'm already awake I decide to head out into town and towards Waterloo, finally getting around to topping up my Oyster card which had about 50p left on it - I was worried on saturday I'd get fined or something because there wasn't enough on & the queue was so long, I must've had just enough then after all from the £10 I put on in 2008!

Handy advice is given to a Heathrow Airport customer in the Underground entrance, looking for services to Heathrow: "you ought to go to the station over there, there's loads of them"

Aftre arriving at Waterloo I travelled down to Portsmouth on a 444, which felt faster and more comfortable than the 375's from Saturday, my visit there being cut short by a heavy rainstorm and a trip to Winchester then back to Waterloo on 2 more 444's takes up the rest of the morning.

The rain at Waterloo is heavy, the bridge roof over to Waterloo East is leaking and here and London Bridge station are also getting fairly wet. A 465 took me between the two stations, then a 377 on the Thameslink route back to St Pancras and the British Library.

It's now early afternoon, I'm a bit tired and make the bad decision of getting a 313 from Old Street to Finsbury Park and then a 321 back to Kings Cross, this being just after having something to eat for the first time in about 20 hours! Sleeplessness then ...

A short trip to Liverpool Street and then it's a ride on a 90 - Pushing - to Ipswich, getting a view of the Olympic stadium's at Stratford and a class 70 behind Ipswich station. They look better in real life than the photo's do, I've only ever seen one before from the window of a train arriving at Wakefield, and that was a quick glance.

Ipswich to Cambridge on a 170 is delayed slightly because there was something seen On or Near the line on a previous run, it seems to be clear now. Nice of the conductor to keep us informed about what was happening, can't remember it happening round here when trains have been delayed. Ten minutes late into Cambridge, and I join several people running for a London train from platform 5 to 1, unlike for them it turns out not to be a train that is going via Stevenage though, so I wait for another 170 going to Peterborough.

Last sundays was a 3 car one, I think this was a 2 car one, and obviously it's busier today so until Ely it's standing room only. The train arrives in Peterborough just as a delayed 91 to Leeds is arriving though, right in the next platform & with enough free seats. I get that back to Doncaster and decide to catch a bus home rather than wait half an hour for the local service, I just want to go to sleep by that point.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,840
Location
Nowhere Heath
A bit of variety there! Did you ever find out whether it was the batteries or your camera?

Swindon is a staffing stop only, correct, and not open to passengers on the Night Riviera. Reading is a booked set-down only stop for passengers to alight, just so you know.

I hope you found your ALR trip to be worth doing then!
 

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Fri 8th July.

Final day, and an hour later start for this one, another trip on a 185 over to Stockport and another day of falling asleep just after Sheffield.

I caught a 323 from Stockport to Stoke, seeing as it was the first train going in that direction, it's still fairly quiet at that point and at Stoke I change onto the Voyager going to Stafford. As I used to live there I pop into the town centre for a while, before getting one of the 350's into New Street, a decent ride but after seeing lots of them from the Pendolino window on Tuesday I know what I'd rather be on.

Another Voyager takes me from New Street to Oxford for a spot of sightseeing and general avoiding cyclists before dinner at the canal side and a walk back to the station. Incidentally, the inspector on the train from New Street was quite cheerful, joking with the passangers who were "lucky enough to be getting away from Banbury".

Oxford station is now busier, security are discussing someone sat at the end of Platform 1 ("is he psychiatric or a train spotter?") and the 165 down to Paddington is also busy as well, the seats are definitely too small on these, comparing them later with a 168 they seem to look a little wider.

I walk from Paddington to Marylebone and get a 168 up to Leamington Spa, they're ok as units go but the seats are awful, too hard and uncomfortable especially if you're doing the full two hours to Snow Hill. Because the direct Doncaster train is running late from Leamington Spa I catch another 168 into Moor Street, a special needs child down the carriage has been shouting "green train" repeatedly during the journey & I get to see why as there is indeed a green steam engine in one of the new platforms there.

I Walk over to New Street, its been 10+ years since I've been round here and as well as Moor Street station having new platforms there's the new shopping centre which looks awful really. Not quite as bad as New Street, whose exterior probably hasn't been altered or cleaned since I was last there, but I'm straight on the train out of there so I don't mind too much.

Another Voyager, packed, and as the seats were reserved from Derby I finish the journey standing. I was thinking about taking it to Wakefield/Leeds and getting the 321 back but as it remains busy at Sheffield and the Doncaster train isn't a 142 I decide to get that instead.

So, my final journey is on 158903, I remembered the number of that one, coming into Doncaster there's 55022 and a rake of MK1's off the back of platform 8, it was back today as well, just at the North End of the station with only a single MK1 coupled up.

So, a good week certainly, with having to use it on 7 consecutive days I'm not sure if I'd do it again though. I first found out about it while looking for info on the Northern Rail rover thing - 4 days out of 8 iirc - something like that on a national scale at a lower price (£250ish maybe) would be a good idea.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A bit of variety there! Did you ever find out whether it was the batteries or your camera?

Swindon is a staffing stop only, correct, and not open to passengers on the Night Riviera. Reading is a booked set-down only stop for passengers to alight, just so you know.

I hope you found your ALR trip to be worth doing then!

Thanks, I think might be the camera, I did get around to buying some batteries on the Thursday but it didn't work then. Tried recharging the battery on thursday night and got one picture out of it before the same thing happened so I'm still not sure (haven't gotten round to looking yet), thinking about it it did go funny on Tuesday evening outside St Pancras so I probably should've checked before setting off on Wednesday.

I wasn't sure with the Riviera stops, even with what time it was due to leave in fact! :D
 

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
and some photo's, the railway ones anyway:

St Pancras, Canterbury East Signal box, Kyle of Lochalsh, and Shrewsbury (taken from the mobile)
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0531.JPG
    DSCF0531.JPG
    430.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0535.JPG
    DSCF0535.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0553.JPG
    DSCF0553.JPG
    444.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG0046A.jpg
    IMG0046A.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 19

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
and some photo's, the railway ones anyway:

St Pancras, Canterbury East Signal box, Kyle of Lochalsh, and Shrewsbury (taken from the mobile)



many thanks for a great read. Lotta veriety there and sounds fun. Glad you enjoyed!
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I particularly like the abbreviation of 'assistant' to 'Ass' in the first post, which was very appropriate in the context!
 

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
Thanks, re the platform assistant, I was a bit annoyed seeing as Doncaster was the only place listed on there, then found it quite funny when I realised they thought they were being smart with the London comment!

A couple of other barrier assistants commented on it, usually to say that's good/cool - Winchester going in and out, there was a few other places earlier in the week in the South East, might've been Hastings.

Given the reputation railways sometimes get, I was quite impressed with the fairly small number of cancellations/major delays, 3 cancellations out of about 51 trains and other than a few of up to around 10 minutes I think the only major delay was the train I was going to get direct from Leamington - Doncaster which was around 30 minutes late (which was why I went back to Moor St & New St). Same with overcrowding, it was very rare that I didn't get a seat (including vestibule seats).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top