• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aldwarke to Stocksbridge steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelman79

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
17
Evening All,
Can anybody shed any light on this working tonight?, been off work for a week and most days so far it's passed through Wharncliffe Woods at about 18.40 while I've been walking the pooch.
No sign today and haven't heard it from the house, normally pretty loud!.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steelman79

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
17
Assuming it is this working

699H 1817 Aldwarke U.E.S. to Stocksbridge Works

It appears to have been activated but didn't run today which is also the case on Tuesday of this week. It ran on Monday and Wednesday according to RealTime Trains (RTT)
Thanks for this, that must be the one as the times match, I used to work in the Melting Shop at Stocksbridge so hearing or seeing this working means that the works is still busy which is only a good thing .
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,725
Location
West Riding
Thanks for this, that must be the one as the times match, I used to work in the Melting Shop at Stocksbridge so hearing or seeing this working means that the works is still busy which is only a good thing .

Steelworks is doing well, it is in the process of doubling its workforce from its nadir at 900 to back up towards 2000. I know this is peanuts compared to the distant past (15000?), but it is positive nonetheless.

Does anyone know if any railtours are planned for the Stocksbridge branch as I would very much like to cover the line?

The line featured recently on this interesting documentary:

https://www.my5.tv/walking-britains-lost-railways/season-1/episode-2
 

The_Train

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2018
Messages
5,247
Thanks for this, that must be the one as the times match, I used to work in the Melting Shop at Stocksbridge so hearing or seeing this working means that the works is still busy which is only a good thing .

There isn't much good news when it comes to the UK steel industry is there?
 

Steelman79

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
17
Often operated as a red (DB???????) class 60 when I saw it at Rotherham Central.
Normally a 66 from what I've seen but I think 60's come in very handy during the Autumn due to the line been heavily tree lined.
When I started in the Melting Shop it was pairs of 37's on the scrap trains up to Stocky, if you wasn't on nights you got woken up at about 2.30am anyway as the timings were different to today then!!.
Used to shake the whole upper don valley on it's way up
 

Steelman79

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
17
Is this working a rake of empties heading into the works for loading?
No mate it's ingots up from Aldwarke upto Stocksbridge for rolling and finishing as well as remelting into aerospace, all the things that Stocksbridge used to provide "in house"from it's own arc furnace
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,725
Location
West Riding
Is this working a rake of empties heading into the works for loading?

I was told it's taken from Stocksbridge to Rotherham to be 'finished' down there.

There are definitely wagons with lumps of steel sat on them waiting to be collected in the sidings next to the new retail park currently. You can also see them being shunted from the car park there sometimes by the steelworks shunter. I may provide a photo if they are still there in the morning.
 

Steelman79

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
17
I was told it's taken from Stocksbridge to Rotherham to be 'finished' down there.

There are definitely wagons with lumps of steel sat on them waiting to be collected in the sidings next to the new retail park currently. You can also see them being shunted from the car park there sometimes by the steelworks shunter. I may provide a photo if they are still there in the morning.
That's the finished rolled bar back down to Aldwarke, it's bigger chunks what come up to Stocksbridge from Aldwarke, 5.7 tonne ingots which Stocksbridge reduces to the bars you have seen at Fox Valley Iskra.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top