• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport stations that are not through stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Apparently there's passive provision in the designs to put a station east of where Silvertown station was (so close to the terminal), but frankly for the volume of passengers changing to DLR at Canary Wharf won't be that much of a bind- it's a pretty quiet airport!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kettledrum

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2010
Messages
806
I remember hearing quite a few years ago that a rail corridor to Luton airport had been reserved ,I see the present Luton ,East Midlands and Liverpool parkways as cut price compromises relying on bus connections rather than proper integrated airport stations which I know is better than nothing ,but considering the boom in rail travel in the last 20 years it's slightly surprising southend is the only proper airport station constructed since Manchester

It is possible to get a taxi from East Midlands parkway to East Midlands Airport, but I'm not sure there is a regular bus service due to lack of demand. East Midlands airport has a lot of freight flights, and passenger flights are heavily seasonal so I guess that affects the viability of a station or even bus link from East Midlands Parkway.

If passenger demand grew, in theory, a passenger station at the airport might be possible with HS2, which will go underneath the runway. No HS2 station is planned their though, probably again due to very limited demand.

Another alternative might be a short diversion from the current Castle Donnington freight only line, but I imagine there are more important spending priorities.
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
Of course one the non-qualifiers I mentioned, as the OP, was Heathrow! I suppose that if XR and WRATH starts up, then technically, that is solved, but it's not quite the same as being whisked direct from Arrivals to Brum and points north, is it? (as one is from Southampton Airport/Parkway, for instance).
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
It is possible to get a taxi from East Midlands parkway to East Midlands Airport,

It's possible to get a taxi from most places to most places :P

I imagine that most passengers at EM Airport are from one of the three cities, and would be more likely to take a Skylink bus all the way (or just get a taxi the whole way) rather than take the train some of the way and then a taxi.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,752
Location
Nottingham
It is possible to get a taxi from East Midlands parkway to East Midlands Airport, but I'm not sure there is a regular bus service due to lack of demand. East Midlands airport has a lot of freight flights, and passenger flights are heavily seasonal so I guess that affects the viability of a station or even bus link from East Midlands Parkway.

If passenger demand grew, in theory, a passenger station at the airport might be possible with HS2, which will go underneath the runway. No HS2 station is planned their though, probably again due to very limited demand.

Another alternative might be a short diversion from the current Castle Donnington freight only line, but I imagine there are more important spending priorities.

There is indeed no bus from EM Parkway, which shows that the rail market at that airport is too small to justify even the minibus shuttle that ran for a while after the station opened. This is despite Parkway having reasonable services to most of the larger places in the East Midlands, and I think demonstrates that any measures to provide a station at EMA would be a complete waste of money.

There are regular buses to EMA from Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, Long Eaton and Loughborough, all of which can be used by rail-to-air passengers but they are primarily intended for travel to work by airport staff.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,515
Cheers to those of you for pointing out the East midlands parkway airport bus no longer runs , I had not been to that part of the world for a while
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top