• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aire Valley Nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
As I take the train into Leeds, I often look out at the space for the two lifted tracks, and wonder what traffic was like there in the early 60s. I imagine a stream of Scots, Brits and Jubs. But what was the reality? What was in charge of the locals? What freight was there, pulled by what? Not only on the Leeds Skipton route, but the Harrogate - Colne via Ilkley. Any memories out there?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,341
Hardly a steady stream of passenger services on Leeds - Carlisle. For example, summer 1961 departures from Leeds to Carlisle or beyond were 01:43 (SO), 02:13, 03:03, 10:20 (SO). 10:35, 13:48 (SX), 13:56 (SO), 14:44 (Thames Clyde Express, non-stop Leeds to Carlisle, and last train of the day, although there was a 15:40 Bradford Forster Square to Carlisle calling almost everywhere).
Morecambe services were more frequent; many split at Wennington with separate portions for Morecambe & Carnforth; some started from Leeds, others started from Bradford.

Class 45 had arrived on principal trains by the early 1960s, but still with some Jubilees, Scots, Britannias (and for a short time, A3 pacifics), with some Black 5s on passenger & freight. Probably Stanier 8F 2-8-0 and BR 9F 2-10-0 on heavier freights. Lighter freights / secondary passenger services (including Leeds - Morecambe) still typically LMS/MR 0-6-0s, and Ivatt LMS 4MT 2-6-0s, and LMS 4MT 2-6-4 tanks - which also worked Bradford Forster Square portions to/from Leeds. Some dmus probably on the somewhat irregular local services.
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
I presume the A3s were from the Carlisle stud.
At the time in question, I was at Preston, spotting on the WCML at Lightfoot Lane or the Blackpool line at Lea. My memories are that there was a lot more variety of type there, though usually LMS/Standard, possibly because of a lot more freight. The smaller types, 0-6-0 or tanks, were comparatively rare. Compared with Airedale it seems we had more DMU on the locals.
We would also have the occasional WD, but not that often. Were those about across the Pennines? (For some reason, when I try to imagine through freight through Ilkley it is headed by a WD, so I guess I have seen a photo somewhere)
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Going from books I've read rather than personal viewings, but I get the impression that the main stronghold for WD 2-8-0s towards the end of steam in Yorkshire was the Wakefield - Goole area.

And Class 25 diesels were quite common on Leeds/Bradford to Morecambe services.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
IIRC, the four tracks were paired by use with the fast lines being the right-hand pair on the approach to Leeds.

There was also an interesting underpass in the vicinity of Armley Canal Rd, taking the fast line into Leeds under to the left-hand side of the formation, presumably for easier access to the old Midland platforms at Leeds Wellington.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,395
Location
Yorks
Am I the only person who upon seeing the phrase "Aire Valley Nostalgia" immediately thought of 308‘s :)
 

Grumpy

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2010
Messages
1,322
The A3's were Holbeck based.
Cant add much to Bevan's summary except perhaps in the early part of the 60's there could have been Patriots on the Morecambe/Carnforth trains.
Several photographs of the Aire Valley in the excellent David Hey website
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/
Although be warned there is a real risk you will be distracted for days once you start on it
 

chorleyjeff

Member
Joined
3 May 2013
Messages
677
I presume the A3s were from the Carlisle stud.
At the time in question, I was at Preston, spotting on the WCML at Lightfoot Lane or the Blackpool line at Lea. My memories are that there was a lot more variety of type there, though usually LMS/Standard, possibly because of a lot more freight. The smaller types, 0-6-0 or tanks, were comparatively rare. Compared with Airedale it seems we had more DMU on the locals.
We would also have the occasional WD, but not that often. Were those about across the Pennines? (For some reason, when I try to imagine through freight through Ilkley it is headed by a WD, so I guess I have seen a photo somewhere)

I used to observe around Preston in the late 1950's and very early 60s. WDs were in abundance on the ELR and at Lostock Hall. Otherwise 2-6-4 tanks on the ELR - plus a few very old L&Y saddletanks and 0-6-0s pottering about.
On the LNWR side the local freights were 0-8-0 7Fs. Passenger work was 2-6-4 tanks, class 5 4-6-0s, PB and taper boiler 5XPs, Scots, Pacifics of 6MT, 7MT and 8P. Also small numbers of miscellaneous types such as 2MT 2-6-0s, 4MT 4-6-0s, Stanier 2-6-0s. B1s, K3s. 9Fs only appeared at weekends on passenger excursion trains and the same for 8Fs. 2P 4-4-0s also used to pilot N of Preston and 3F light goods tanks were goods shunters and station pilots. Of course there were DMUs and EE type 4s.
I have probably missed a few types but there was good variety. But Stanier types predominated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top