• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aircon - the good and the bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
287
Location
Nowhere
I suppose everyone has a different tolerance, but I've found the air conditioning on Southeastern's 375s to be be distinctly lacking for a couple of years now during the warm summer months.

When first introduced 5 or so years ago it was fine. But other than a couple of cool spots in each carriage by the vestibules (where I think the aircon untis are positioned), most carriages are stuffy and a tad uncomfortable. Could be maintenance issues, or perhaps a lack of willingness/ability to use the aircon effectively? Or perhaps it's just my own tolerance to temperature?

Other operators and types differ. Pendolinos seem fine by comparison, as do SWT's Desiros. But I'll admit I dont have a vast experience of other types during the heat of summer. Which operator and type do you nominate for good and bad aircon provision? And are SE able to turn up the cool air?!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
I suppose everyone has a different tolerance, but I've found the air conditioning on Southeastern's 375s to be be distinctly lacking for a couple of years now during the warm summer months.

When first introduced 5 or so years ago it was fine. But other than a couple of cool spots in each carriage by the vestibules (where I think the aircon untis are positioned), most carriages are stuffy and a tad uncomfortable. Could be maintenance issues, or perhaps a lack of willingness/ability to use the aircon effectively? Or perhaps it's just my own tolerance to temperature?

Other operators and types differ. Pendolinos seem fine by comparison, as do SWT's Desiros. But I'll admit I dont have a vast experience of other types during the heat of summer. Which operator and type do you nominate for good and bad aircon provision? And are SE able to turn up the cool air?!!

As long as cooler than outside on a hot day, with plenty of fresh, filtered air drawn from outside it's fine.

My office sits at 25C - I'm in suit and tie... The girlies in strappy tops, bare legs and short skirts complain if we drop the temperature lower...
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
I suppose everyone has a different tolerance, but I've found the air conditioning on Southeastern's 375s to be be distinctly lacking for a couple of years now during the warm summer months.

When first introduced 5 or so years ago it was fine. But other than a couple of cool spots in each carriage by the vestibules (where I think the aircon untis are positioned), most carriages are stuffy and a tad uncomfortable. Could be maintenance issues, or perhaps a lack of willingness/ability to use the aircon effectively? Or perhaps it's just my own tolerance to temperature?

Other operators and types differ. Pendolinos seem fine by comparison, as do SWT's Desiros. But I'll admit I dont have a vast experience of other types during the heat of summer. Which operator and type do you nominate for good and bad aircon provision? And are SE able to turn up the cool air?!!

I believe part of the problem is that air-con and full traction power is too much for the supply to cope with, so it has to shut down during acceleration. But it's not as bad as the Desiros, where complete lack of air movement often makes me feel as though I'm about to suffocate. Thing is, MkIII air-con works very well, although even that gets a bit airless sometimes. The key is to keep air moving, and fans or the ball-vents you get on the 365s work very well.

Best modern trains for air-con are the 334s. They don't have it, and all the windows open. :p
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,671
you so should of put the good the bad and the ugly....missed oppurtunity there :)

I always like EC trains for aircon never been warm on one of them before. Although last nights commute home on the old 142 wasnt much fun evern with windows fully open it was unbearable...
 

ileikcaek

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
24
I have to agree with the OP about southeasterns fleet. when they were first introduced under Connex the aircon was always put to good use in the summer, it was like walking into a refrigerator. but in recent years it seems on most trains it is barely or not running at all and they are quite stuffy.

I would guess it's a cost saving measure, aircon isn't cheap to run I guess.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
The 458s have fantastic aircon, almost too good as I was shivering on the way to Waterloo last time despite it being 32C outside :shock:
 
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
287
Location
Nowhere
I have to agree with the OP about southeasterns fleet. when they were first introduced under Connex the aircon was always put to good use in the summer, it was like walking into a refrigerator. but in recent years it seems on most trains it is barely or not running at all and they are quite stuffy.

I would guess it's a cost saving measure, aircon isn't cheap to run I guess.

I'm glad someone else thinks so - thought it might be just me!
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,576
Location
LBK
I'm on a VT SuperVoyager heading out of London and the aircon is working a bit too well! Freezing! :)
 

WestyAds

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
52
Location
Norfolk, UK
Most of my journeys these days start or end with an Arriva Trains Wales 158, so forgive me for asking, but: what is air conditioning? ;)
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
Most of my journeys these days start or end with an Arriva Trains Wales 158, so forgive me for asking, but: what is air conditioning? ;)

Its what 158's had before CFC regulations came in. Sometimes a 158 can be pretty cool (depends on the unit a suprising amount)
 

WestyAds

Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
52
Location
Norfolk, UK
Its what 158's had before CFC regulations came in. Sometimes a 158 can be pretty cool (depends on the unit a suprising amount)

Yes, I do have vague memories of how lovely and cool we used to be when we were allowed to go around wrecking the environment in the name of keeping ourselves chilled.
 
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
287
Location
Nowhere
Might be down to the "complex" aircon recycling system, but the whole carriage on a 375 which includes the large disabled pod-style toilet always reeks of chemicals. Yet the smaller cubicle-style loo in the next carriage doesn't spread it's whiff (other than when someone kindly leaves to door open - bah!).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top