• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

age for solo child travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Personally, I feel that social workers are a very much maligned bunch who are often caught between a roc and a hard place, where if they don't do anything they are accused of laziness and negligence, and if they do they are busybodies who are likely to kidnap your kids!

I would be inclined, overall, to agree.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
I fully agree that I started travelling alone when I was around 10 years old and started senior school at 11 years when I commuted daily by bus to school everyday with many of my classmates. OK that was over 50 years ago.
Today I still see many children of similar age commuting to school by bus and train.

A few years ago when working on the Llangollen Railway as a TTI a new policy for Child Protection was introduced of prohibiting under 16 year old children to travel alone on the railway. At the time I put in an objection to the Management but never had any feedback. I am unsure whether this is still in force if so any 15 year old (or younger) forum readers will require a "carer" to travel on the line.
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I travelled alone when I was 13 and fancied a trip out to west Wales from Swansea. The guard seemed very concerned about me, and came to sit in my compartment for a chat about his days working on steam trains in south Wales.

Perhaps he was right to be a bit worried. I'd told my mother that I was going with a friend, and I managed to get away with it, she would never have let me go on my own!
 

Tommy1581

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2015
Messages
86
Location
Ashganistan (or Ashington)
I'm 13 now and started doing the NE Explorer ticket when I was 11. My mam went around with me on the first few times just to see what the bus, Metro and Northern Rail trains were like before letting me out by myself.

I still ain't allowed to go south of Chester-le-Street or South Shields, north of Alnwick, west of Hexham use Metro, a few other towns, central Newcastle and Blyth (I honestly have no idea either, it's only 20 minutes away from the house :lol: ).
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
We didn't really have local trains or a metro type service, but my mother was happy for me to take the bus on my own. As I wanted to go down to Tenby and Pembroke Dock she thought that was a bit far! In the end I ended up going to Milford Haven, which I found a bit dreary back in 1979!
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Personally, I feel that social workers are a very much maligned bunch who are often caught between a roc and a hard place, where if they don't do anything they are accused of laziness and negligence, and if they do they are busybodies who are likely to kidnap your kids!

Absolutely true. I really don't envy social workers, who have an incredibly difficult job.

It's, rightly, assumed that parents are able to take care of their children. I would agree with this. The state also has a role in protecting children on a broader scale, which is also important. There are cases where children are, unfortunately, put at risk by either the circumstances at their home, or by members of their family, and this is where social workers come in, and they should.

However, I've made it sound nice and easy. It's a minefield in reality. A lot of instances where social workers are involved aren't related to the adults causing the child harm, at least not deliberately, but the child's coming to harm by complex social circumstances surrounding the family (for example, the family is not financially able to provide suitable accommodation for their children). For more serious concerns, proving that there's been any malicious actions isn't always easy. People criticise social workers easily when they get things wrong - the Baby P case is probably one of the most famous cases where the social services frankly failed the child and, sadly, young Peter died. However, when you try to take children like this out of their homes, there's often protestations.

Some people also get very concerned when social workers start getting involved in their family life, but from my experience with them social workers really do try their hardest to keep families together. If it's not safe or possible for a child to live with their immediate family, the first course of action is to look at relatives (aunts, uncles, grandparents) as a suitable solution. I know this is difficult for people to believe, because quite a lot of children are taken into the care of the state, but it's a last resort.

And I have to say, I find it comical (but, sadly, not surprising) that the biggest critics of social workers often have had little to no involvement with them!
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Unfortunately, it's a fact that, in every profession, mistakes will be made, sometimes with very tragic consequences.

I feel that some of the criticism of the social work profession stems form the fact that it's somehow seen as left wing by the mainstream print media. in the case of a child travelling alone, I can see how, in certain circumstances, a child that came to some kind of harm when travelling alone would lead to criticism of social services, whether they were aware or not, and whether had taken any action or not.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
There were 3 very pleasant kids around 8 / 9 yeas old at Blackfriars tonight - slightly confused and wanted to get back to Kentish Town - the train dispatcher clocked them and was superbly good at making sure they got the right train back to Kentish Town - I double checked and made sure they got on the slow train to St Albans not the semi- fast (first stop West Hampstead) - the platform guy was really good and a credit in carefully making sure that that they were in the right direction. (and that their parents were OK with it all) Good man.


They no doubt d
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I am 13 and a half now and I have been allowed out on trains on my own since I was 12. My first trip alone was simply a couple of return trips from Leamington to Bicester North with 67s but now I am basically allowed to go all around the UK (with the exception of London and Scotland at the moment). In fact I have a North East Rover coming up in July/August with a few overnights at my Grandparents, which is quite far from Leamington. And I agree with most of the people above. It is how able the child is, not how old.
 

agerj001

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2014
Messages
43
Location
Horsham
I first started going on trains on my own or with friends at the age of 12, and could go to London with friends from the age of 14, I'm now 16 and go up with friends but usually go off on my own/or with my tube challenge team to complete a tube challenge, or go off on my own around London, usually train spotting!
 

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Joined
22 Sep 2013
Messages
7,691
I reckon that most boys* can travel safely on trains from about 12 years old. Clearly, it depends on the individual child and how difficult the planned journey will be.
What is interesting is that, despite the availability of mobile phones etc, I reckon that this is older than it used to be. It's certainly older than the age of boys travelling on their own across many foreign countries.


* for the sake of sex equality, I'd better say that I do mean boys, not children. Whether it's right or not, there seems to be a greater risk for girls travelling alone in the UK.
 

Tangent

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2012
Messages
72
I travelled alone when I was 13 and fancied a trip out to west Wales from Swansea. The guard seemed very concerned about me, and came to sit in my compartment for a chat about his days working on steam trains in south Wales.

Perhaps he was right to be a bit worried. I'd told my mother that I was going with a friend, and I managed to get away with it, she would never have let me go on my own!

One day, when I was about 7 or 8, I decided, on a whim, not to get off the bus that took me to school, and to spend the day looking at trains at Victoria. Somehow, I can't remember how, I attracted the attention of the station staff, and a railman who had just finished his shift very kindly accompanied me on the train back to my home station. (When I got home, I pretended that I had fallen asleep on the bus, and stuck to this story for some years.)
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
I've only been able to go to London on my own since my 16th birthday (last April)
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
First time I ever travelled on a train myself, I was 11 and was only on short journeys of up to half an hour. I started making longer trips myself when I was around 13 when I used to travel to my Grandparents after school every month from Dunkeld (Perthshire) to Chathill (Northumberland) with a change at Edinburgh and Alnmouth (3 hours). Good times when the Virgin XC HSTs still roamed and the Voyagers were cleaner than Arriva's. Never went near London on my own until 15. I agree with the majority of comments on here regarding Virgin Trains East Coast's statement, they certainly hit the nail on the head with the issue in it's entirety. It's not about the age (well, within reason) but more about the child's inner capability and maturity to make such trips, as long as parents are sensible in what they limit their child to and take responsibility for their wellbeing then theres not much else to say on the matter.

I am 13 and a half now and I have been allowed out on trains on my own since I was 12. My first trip alone was simply a couple of return trips from Leamington to Bicester North with 67s but now I am basically allowed to go all around the UK (with the exception of London and Scotland at the moment). In fact I have a North East Rover coming up in July/August with a few overnights at my Grandparents, which is quite far from Leamington. And I agree with most of the people above. It is how able the child is, not how old.

This young man proves the argument that it's about the person it self rather than age. You seem to know your limits (London and Scotland) as well as a sense as to where and when you travel, which shows maturity for your age.

I reckon that most boys* can travel safely on trains from about 12 years old. Clearly, it depends on the individual child and how difficult the planned journey will be.
What is interesting is that, despite the availability of mobile phones etc, I reckon that this is older than it used to be. It's certainly older than the age of boys travelling on their own across many foreign countries.


* for the sake of sex equality, I'd better say that I do mean boys, not children. Whether it's right or not, there seems to be a greater risk for girls travelling alone in the UK.

If this was on Wikipedia I'd be saying "[Citation Needed]"
Not necessarily, don't know where you're getting your facts from apart from your own opinion. If anything younger males of 10 to 13/14 are at greater risk. This article highlights boys as well as girls who are more likely to be victims of attacks in accordance to knife crime.
 
Last edited:

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,719
* for the sake of sex equality, I'd better say that I do mean boys, not children. Whether it's right or not, there seems to be a greater risk for girls travelling alone in the UK.

Does there? Interested to see evidence of this - as with adults it is far more likely to be boys who are victims of crime than girls - ONS report "Boys were over twice as likely as girls to be a victim of violent crime (10.5% compared with 4.6%)"

More males 10-14 are also murdered than girls of the same age.
 

Trog

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2009
Messages
1,546
Location
In Retirement.
Is a lot of that the result of trouble between people who know each other. Traveling as it takes you away from your home area is going to be more about the risk from dodgy strangers. Which may have a very different profile.
 

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,719
Is a lot of that the result of trouble between people who know each other. Traveling as it takes you away from your home area is going to be more about the risk from dodgy strangers. Which may have a very different profile.

Stranger danger is a great source of fear of crime but in reality you are more likely to be a victim of serious crimes at the hands of someone you know. Most abductions and the like occur in the locality where children live - not surprisingly as most dont go wandering off on long journeys away from home. So difficult to say whether you are more at risk away from home or in your home area. Running away from home is different and children in this situation are obviously very vulnerable.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I recall a point of realisation, aged somewhere around 13-14, that "stranger danger" was in fact nonsense. Most "strangers" are completely disinterested in what a random kid or teenager is up to, a small number of them may feel threatened by teenagers, and an absolutely tiny number are up to no good.

Better just to teach kids to be a bit more streetwise. Don't get in a stranger's car, but if you're in trouble it's quite possible that a random member of the public can actually help you.
 

341o2

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2011
Messages
2,014
Killing by kindness; so young adults grow up with no ounce of responsibility or knowledge of risk taking, leading to accidents when they "fledge the nest". We see it here as the "school run" rather than allowing children to walk or catch the bus.

Or rather the fear, in some cases seemingly to the point of paranoia is of the risk posed by perverts.

Puxton Park, somerset http://www.puxton.co.uk/Home-Page/Rules-of-Admission

For the safety and enjoyment of all our visitors, please note and adhere to the following Park rules:

This is a strictly a No Smoking site: There is a designated smoking area across the bridge,opposite the main entrance.

We are sorry but we are unable to let single MEN OR WOMEN without children into the park. If you are here to meet someone let one of our reception staff know and they will happily do a tannoy announcement asking them to come and meet you in reception.


Children must be accompanied at all times and must be supervised by a responsible adult. Parents and guardians know their child's capabilities and behaviour best and should ensure an appropriate level of supervision to reflect this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top