aceofspades
Member
Hi Everyone,
Hoping to seek some advice here about a fine I received on the 26/02/25 while heading to Gatwick Airport.
I was on a southern railway train heading to Gatwick airport and since the barriers didn't open they checked my ticket and asked if I had a railcard.
I answered no and they said the ticket had been booked via railcard 26-30 (Which i previously had but had been expired for almost a year).
Proceeded to give my details but warned them i was not going to be in the country for several months given i was going abroad because of family issues.
I then checked why the ticket had been bought via railcard and my girlfriend who bought the ticket told me she thought i still had a valid railcard.
Things get worse since i released in total 16 tickets over the course of time had been bought with railcard selected while it was expired.
If that wasn't enough I've just been served notice from my room in London so I'll have to come back end of April for a few days and vacate the room, after which I'll be living abroad till probably the end of the year.
I've contacted Southern rail stating i want to fully cooperate, given my email address and begged them to please contact me via email because I'm unable to receive written comms.
They asked me to upload proof of my expired railcard following a link i should have received on my statement when i was stopped, I pointed out i didn't receive any statement all the interaction was entirely verbal.
To summarize my current situation:
How should I behave in this situation, should I give them my abroad address and tell them about the other tickets or just wait for them to make the first move?
I'm panicking as I would really like to settle this out of court but I'm scared about them not being able to reach me.
Thanks for any advice.
Hoping to seek some advice here about a fine I received on the 26/02/25 while heading to Gatwick Airport.
I was on a southern railway train heading to Gatwick airport and since the barriers didn't open they checked my ticket and asked if I had a railcard.
I answered no and they said the ticket had been booked via railcard 26-30 (Which i previously had but had been expired for almost a year).
Proceeded to give my details but warned them i was not going to be in the country for several months given i was going abroad because of family issues.
I then checked why the ticket had been bought via railcard and my girlfriend who bought the ticket told me she thought i still had a valid railcard.
Things get worse since i released in total 16 tickets over the course of time had been bought with railcard selected while it was expired.
If that wasn't enough I've just been served notice from my room in London so I'll have to come back end of April for a few days and vacate the room, after which I'll be living abroad till probably the end of the year.
I've contacted Southern rail stating i want to fully cooperate, given my email address and begged them to please contact me via email because I'm unable to receive written comms.
They asked me to upload proof of my expired railcard following a link i should have received on my statement when i was stopped, I pointed out i didn't receive any statement all the interaction was entirely verbal.
To summarize my current situation:
- I'm currently abroad with basically no valid UK address.
- Currently waiting for any sort of comm to arrive.
- I haven't told them i realized there have been numerous travel made under an expired railcard.
How should I behave in this situation, should I give them my abroad address and tell them about the other tickets or just wait for them to make the first move?
I'm panicking as I would really like to settle this out of court but I'm scared about them not being able to reach me.
Thanks for any advice.

