Only just joined the forums but looking for advice in terms of my career prospects.
I currently work on the Gateline and have done for 5 years, although in those 5 years I was working through a sub contractor/agency.
I’ve only just recently been employed working directly for my TOC (Northern) for the past 2 months now so have my foot in the door in terms of actually being in the railway industry.
My goal is to one day be a driver however I don’t know if it’s better to apply for a guard role as it will put me in a better position if I wanted to progress to driver or just go straight for a trainee driver position.
I’ve spoke to a few guards/drivers in the mess room, some saying apply to be a guard and others saying just go straight for driving. (I never mention wanting to be a driver btw)
That being said I don’t know if I have what it takes to be a driver, as not everyone can do it.
I don’t necessarily dislike my current job, (although can be stressful at times same with any role in the railway) However when I first had my induction on the day two months ago, the team leader said to me: ‘This is a dead end job if I’m being honest, I expect you to move on when your contract ends’.
Those words stuck with me and made me really think about my future. I’m in my late twenties aswell if that helps, after working on the barriers for so long I want to move on to safety critical roles.
I’m already quite knowledgeable in terms of tickets and STAR mobile (Gateline staff sells tickets at my station) and obviously have lots of customer service experience.
Just wondering what everyone thinks, like I said I don’t hate my current job, in fact I’m content but want to progress and better myself.
I currently work on the Gateline and have done for 5 years, although in those 5 years I was working through a sub contractor/agency.
I’ve only just recently been employed working directly for my TOC (Northern) for the past 2 months now so have my foot in the door in terms of actually being in the railway industry.
My goal is to one day be a driver however I don’t know if it’s better to apply for a guard role as it will put me in a better position if I wanted to progress to driver or just go straight for a trainee driver position.
I’ve spoke to a few guards/drivers in the mess room, some saying apply to be a guard and others saying just go straight for driving. (I never mention wanting to be a driver btw)
That being said I don’t know if I have what it takes to be a driver, as not everyone can do it.
I don’t necessarily dislike my current job, (although can be stressful at times same with any role in the railway) However when I first had my induction on the day two months ago, the team leader said to me: ‘This is a dead end job if I’m being honest, I expect you to move on when your contract ends’.
Those words stuck with me and made me really think about my future. I’m in my late twenties aswell if that helps, after working on the barriers for so long I want to move on to safety critical roles.
I’m already quite knowledgeable in terms of tickets and STAR mobile (Gateline staff sells tickets at my station) and obviously have lots of customer service experience.
Just wondering what everyone thinks, like I said I don’t hate my current job, in fact I’m content but want to progress and better myself.