• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on paying settlement to Northern Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robimi

Guest
So I have received an £84 fixed penalty notice from Northern Rail. After reading the posts on here I have reluctantly decided to pay even though I do think it was unfairly issued. Anyway, my problem is that the fine is to be paid in 14 days and the last day for payment is tomorrow. I do not have a cheque book so have called the number on the letter to pay over the phone. However, no-one is answering and instead there is a recorded message asking you to leave details and they will call you back. I have left my full name, the reference number, that I am ringing to pay an £84 fine and my phone number. As of yet no-one has called me back. I will keep trying but if I am not able to get through and no one calls me back where do I stand? Can they prosecute because I have not paid in the 14 days?? Please do not leave comments about how I should have paid sooner - the lines are only open 9am to 4pm so I have been waiting for a day off work to call as I get no privacy at work. Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
It is important that you keep trying to get hold of them, because I believe they can still decide to prosecute as long as you have not entered into the settlement for the so-called Fixed Penalty Notice.

You could also try their main phone number of 0845 000 0125 and ask to be transferred to the prosecutions department.

Failing that, is it possible to get a friend or family member to write a cheque?

If you're getting desperate, you can can also get a Postal Order from a Post Office and pay in cash (12.5% (£10.50) fee). You could also get a bankers draft for a fee of around £15 from your bank. Both of these can be banked by Northern in the same way as normal cheques.
 

PauloDavesi

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2011
Messages
242
To avoid calling a 'rip off' 0845 number that Northern Rail make money from you calling, toucan either use the normal geographical number 0113 881 4750 or the free phone number.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top