• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on ECML advance fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlover

New Member
Joined
9 Jan 2013
Messages
4
Hi

I am looking to travel from Sandy to Aberdeen. It is cheaper to book a through ticket rather than in separate parts on this occasion. I obviously need to change at Peterborough and am looking to book a 1st advance for the whole journey. My first question is do I have to catch the FCC train specified to Peterborough as ideally I would like to get a slightly earlier one to allow more time for my connection (they are giving me 9 mins but I would prefer longer)?

Secondly on the return journey again booking the whole journey as a 1st advance it's telling me to depart the train at Newcastle when I know the train does continue to York and I would prefer to catch my next connection from there! So would this be possible as I would be getting the same train but just further down the line!

Many thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CallySleeper

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2006
Messages
1,662
Location
trentbartonland
Hi Catlover,

1. Check your tickets before you get on the train. If you have a reservation for the train to PBO and it states 'valid only with ticket X' then you must travel on this train, unless you buy a separate ticket to PBO for an earlier train.

2. You can try and put 'via York' in when you search for the ticket, and the booking engine may then give you the trains you're looking for. Otherwise, if you already have the ticket with its reservations then again you have to stick to the exact connections allocated, or face a penalty (I.e. the ticket becomes invalid if you stay on the train past NCL to York if your reservation on that particular train is only to NCL).

Hope that helps!
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
FCC don't have reservations.

Catlover, if the connecting train is unreservable, you will not be issued seat reservations for it. In that case, you can use any appropriate connecting service of your choice. For legs that you are issued reservations on with an Advance ticket, you must, however, stick to the booked train.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
They don't have a peak, but the connecting trains still have to be "appropriate". So catching a train vastly too early would be dubious
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Secondly on the return journey again booking the whole journey as a 1st advance it's telling me to depart the train at Newcastle when I know the train does continue to York and I would prefer to catch my next connection from there! So would this be possible as I would be getting the same train but just further down the line!

Can you give the day of the week and departure time? We then may be able to suggest a clever option to put in the "via" box to force a change at York instead of Newcastle. :)
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,454
Location
Stevenage
FCC don't have reservations

The online booking systems are right ##### for this. Recently, I was looking at tickets from Stevenage to Birmingham International. Advance on Virgin was a lot cheaper, requiring a reservation (London Midland was too slow). The online booking systems were far from clear whether the Stevenage-London leg also required a reservation. I gave up trying to decode the website information and asked the Stevenage gateline staff (before booking). Problem solved. No.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
Hi Catlover,

1. Check your tickets before you get on the train. If you have a reservation for the train to PBO and it states 'valid only with ticket X' then you must travel on this train, unless you buy a separate ticket to PBO for an earlier train.
They are all unreservable.
2. You can try and put 'via York' in when you search for the ticket,
All trains go via York, so this will make no difference.

FCC don't have reservations, but be sure your ticket is valid for the time of day you're travelling.
It's an Advance ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Secondly on the return journey again booking the whole journey as a 1st advance it's telling me to depart the train at Newcastle when I know the train does continue to York and I would prefer to catch my next connection from there!
If you wish to force it onto a train that calls at additional stations, you can use the 'calling at' option under the 'Timetables only' option on the East Coast booking engine.

If you wish to force it onto a train that calls at less stations, then in this case there is no way I know of to achieve that (as all principle East Coast stations are recognised timing points).
 

catlover

New Member
Joined
9 Jan 2013
Messages
4
Thanks everyone for your help.

I tried all sorts of things with the 'via' and for most (including york) it didn't make any difference however for darlington it did and for some reason that option was also cheaper! So I went for it!

Thanks again, and I was only thinking of getting one earlier train from Sandy to Peterborough (i.e the 09.06 rather than the 09.32) so hopefully that won't make any difference!
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Thanks everyone for your help.

I tried all sorts of things with the 'via' and for most (including york) it didn't make any difference however for darlington it did and for some reason that option was also cheaper! So I went for it!

Thanks again, and I was only thinking of getting one earlier train from Sandy to Peterborough (i.e the 09.06 rather than the 09.32) so hopefully that won't make any difference!

I wouldn't panic if you miss the 09:06, I know from personal experience that changing from the 09:32 to the EC train isn't too difficult at Peterborough, and 9 minutes is generally suitable (hoping your train isn't delayed at all!).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top