• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice Needed: Received Unfair Penalty Fee for Lost Ticket - MerseyRail

Status
Not open for further replies.

faithisfaith

New Member
Joined
22 Nov 2024
Messages
3
Location
liverpool
Hi everyone,

I’m seeking advice on how to handle a penalty fine I received on Friday, 22/11/2024. Here’s what happened:

  • Date: 22/11/2024
  • Time: 17:30–18:00
  • Route: From Hamilton Square to Liverpool Central
I purchased a Flexi ticket for my travel, and I definitely used it to pass through the gate machine at Hamilton Square Station. Unfortunately, I lost the ticket during the journey. When I arrived at Liverpool Central, I proactively approached the officers to explain the situation. However, instead of understanding, they took my personal details and issued a penalty fine, stating that it was my only option to proceed.

I feel this penalty is absolutely unfair, as I had purchased a valid ticket and simply lost it by accident. Fortunately, I still have the receipt for the Flexi ticket I bought a few days earlier, proving my payment.

I didn’t think to ask for CCTV footage at Hamilton Square, but I believe it could confirm that I used a valid ticket to pass through the gate.

  • What is the best way to request CCTV footage to support my appeal?
  • Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice on how to challenge this penalty effectively?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Vincent
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,481
Location
Back in Sussex
Hi everyone,

I’m seeking advice on how to handle a penalty fine I received on Friday, 22/11/2024. Here’s what happened:

  • Date: 22/11/2024
  • Time: 17:30–18:00
  • Route: From Hamilton Square to Liverpool Central
I purchased a Flexi ticket for my travel, and I definitely used it to pass through the gate machine at Hamilton Square Station. Unfortunately, I lost the ticket during the journey. When I arrived at Liverpool Central, I proactively approached the officers to explain the situation. However, instead of understanding, they took my personal details and issued a penalty fine, stating that it was my only option to proceed.

I feel this penalty is absolutely unfair, as I had purchased a valid ticket and simply lost it by accident. Fortunately, I still have the receipt for the Flexi ticket I bought a few days earlier, proving my payment.

I didn’t think to ask for CCTV footage at Hamilton Square, but I believe it could confirm that I used a valid ticket to pass through the gate.

  • What is the best way to request CCTV footage to support my appeal?
  • Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice on how to challenge this penalty effectively?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Vincent

You need to put this in the 'Disputes & Prosecutions' section
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top