Hello everyone, looking for some advice on my letter in response to fare evasion from Govia Thameslink. I stupidly didn’t buy a full ticket for my journey from Cambridge to Finsbury Park as I got a cheap ticket to a different station on another line. I then got a ticket when the inspector showed up, but the train had already departed so it wasn’t valid. I have no excuse for this unfortunately and had done the same thing a few times before but never been challenged. Obviously haven’t done anything like this again but I’m very stressed about the response to the letter and getting the phrasing right after reading advice on here! Below is my draft, please let me know what may need changing , all help is very appreciated :
Dear Sir or Madam:
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your letter dated 20th September, reference GTREMGXXXXXX
On the 1st of August, I boarded the train at Cambridge station and when rightly questioned by a Revenue Protection Officer, did not produce a valid ticket.
I would first like to offer my apologies as I am truly regretful to say I have no excuse for this. In hindsight, I realise my decision was foolish and highly unethical.
I accept full responsibility for my actions and am sorry for the damages, inconveniences, and costs this has created. I am now fully aware of how serious the financial burden caused by fare evasion has become, and am deeply ashamed to have contributed to this.
I greatly appreciate travelling on our railway services and see this as a valuable lesson. I can ensure that I have since learned from my mistakes, have only bought valid tickets in a timely manner , and shall continue to do so indefinitely.
I do not want to cause any further disrespect or disservice to the railway staff, administrative staff, or anyone who may be impacted by my poor decision, and Instead I wish to make amends for my wrongdoing.
I would be grateful if GTR would consider settling my misconduct outside of court and kindly allow me to pay the cost of the ticket, any associated admin fees I have created, and any charges deemed appropriate.
Yours sincerely
Dear Sir or Madam:
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your letter dated 20th September, reference GTREMGXXXXXX
On the 1st of August, I boarded the train at Cambridge station and when rightly questioned by a Revenue Protection Officer, did not produce a valid ticket.
I would first like to offer my apologies as I am truly regretful to say I have no excuse for this. In hindsight, I realise my decision was foolish and highly unethical.
I accept full responsibility for my actions and am sorry for the damages, inconveniences, and costs this has created. I am now fully aware of how serious the financial burden caused by fare evasion has become, and am deeply ashamed to have contributed to this.
I greatly appreciate travelling on our railway services and see this as a valuable lesson. I can ensure that I have since learned from my mistakes, have only bought valid tickets in a timely manner , and shall continue to do so indefinitely.
I do not want to cause any further disrespect or disservice to the railway staff, administrative staff, or anyone who may be impacted by my poor decision, and Instead I wish to make amends for my wrongdoing.
I would be grateful if GTR would consider settling my misconduct outside of court and kindly allow me to pay the cost of the ticket, any associated admin fees I have created, and any charges deemed appropriate.
Yours sincerely
Attachments
Last edited: