• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice Needed for Single Justice Procedure Notice - Railcard Mix-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Im_maad

New Member
Joined
15 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I received a Single Justice Procedure Notice in the mail from Govia Thameslink regarding a travel incident. Here are the details from the notice:

Statement of Facts:
"On 30-Jul-2024, [My Name] traveled from London Kings Cross (KGX) to Cambridge North (CMB). Upon inspection, the defendant produced a ticket for the journey that was not valid. Payment of the correct fare due was avoided because the supporting 16-17 Railcard document required could not be produced to validate the ticket and its discount. He produced a 16-25 Railcard. The outstanding fare avoided is £30.50. A contribution towards prosecution costs of £135 is applied for."

Additional Context:
  • The ticket was purchased through the Trainline app.
  • While selecting the railcard option, I mistakenly chose the 16-17 Railcard instead of the 16-25 Railcard in a rush.
  • I frequently make this journey (London to Cambridge North 3x per week) and always buy valid tickets with the correct railcard (I have proof of upward of 30 valid tickets of the same journey in the trainline app). Unfortunately, this time I selected the wrong one.
  • When the incident occurred, rail staff advised me to upload my valid railcard and ticket once I received an email, and assured me this would resolve the matter. I followed these instructions, but now I’ve received this notice.
My Questions:
  1. What are the implications of pleading guilty versus going to court?
  2. Do I have a case to plead not guilty, and could this help me avoid a criminal record?
Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi.

Do you have any other paperwork or correspondence about this? It's unusual for them to go straight to court action without asking you for your side of the story;
 

Im_maad

New Member
Joined
15 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
I submitted a written correspondence explaining my side of the story but never received any response. This Single Justice Procedure Notice is the first communication I've received since then.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,133
Unfortunately you don’t have a case to plead not guilty, as you were clearly guilty of the offence.

Your best bet is to reply asking politely whether they received a copy of your previous letter (include it), apologise for making the mistake, and asking again very nicely if they will consider an out of court settlement on payment of the full fare for the journey and a contribution towards their expenses.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,842
I submitted a written correspondence explaining my side of the story but never received any response. This Single Justice Procedure Notice is the first communication I've received since then.
Did that include an apology and a request to resolve the matter without court action?
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,706
Location
Derby
Sorry, got to ask.. What is the point of the 16-17 Railcard if there is a 16-25 one? Surely, less is more.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Welcome to the forum!

It is unusual for GTR to prosecute cases like this. When details are taken they will write to you a few weeks later threatening prosecution but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. GTR normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with them, and whi haven't come to their attention before.

Did you get sent an initial letter? Did you reply to it and, if so, what did you say?
 

Cuthbert

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2024
Messages
321
Location
United Kingdom
Thanks for that. Can see why it could cause confusion. After all if a child is under 18, maybe the 33% version should be 18 to 25,.
Child tickets are for 5-15. 16+ count as adult.
The 16-17 saver is for School (Sixth form I think I went to Germany for school it is slightly different).
And the 16-25 are those that go to college that's the reason it's different.

From Railcard site:
1731699324433.png
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top