• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for Notice of Intention to Prosecute

vuth21

Member
Joined
23 May 2026
Messages
5
Location
Welwyn Garden City
Important Context: I was previously caught for not having a ticket in 2023 or 2024 and paid a penalty fare.
The inspector mentioned this could cause a more severe reaction.

I was travelling from Welwyn Garden City to Finsbury Park on 04/03/26.

I was running late and boarded the 12:22 train without a ticket. I then immediately bought a ticket (on my phone) upon sitting down (which I didn't know was an offence at the time but I do now).
I don't have an exact timestamp but my email confirmation of the ticket was at 12:25. I do believe the train was also a min or two delayed so the ticket was bought in :wub:mins probably within 90-120 seconds.

A ticket inspector came round a few stops later and said there was a problem as I had bought my ticket after the train had left the station. I agreed and said I didn't think it was an issue at which point he stated it was an offence.

I was issued with a Notice of Intention to Prosecute a few days ago asking for my point of view. I probably should have simply stated my story but I wanted accurate information before responding so I wrote this on the online portal.

-----------
Hi,

I am happy and willing to cooperate with this process but please may I request the following evidence before providing my full response:
.The exact timestamp of my ticket
.The exact departure time of the train (as from memory it was a couple of minutes late)
.The inspector's report
.Any other relevant evidence

I would also appreciate an extension to the deadline so that I have time to provide my version of events upon receipt of the requested information.

Regards,
My Name
-----------

I think they may have interpreted this as cheeky and they sent the following letter.

1000051773.jpg

Satisfactory outcome would obviously be them dropping it but I understand I'll probably have to pay a fine.

I'm worried however about my previous offence (the officer was quite insistent about this) and whether that will change anything. How do I avoid court proceedings and minimise the fine I will have to pay?
Is the fact they haven't already started prosecution a good sign?

Also are letters necessary? Can I request future correspondence to be done via email or some other online method?

Any help is appreciated.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I do have a railcard and it was applied to the ticket but I don't believe that's relevant
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,809
I think they may have interpreted this as cheeky and they sent the following letter.
That's not really surprising. I'm not sure what you hoped to gain by sending that.
Satisfactory outcome would obviously be them dropping it but I understand I'll probably have to pay a fine.

I'm worried however about my previous offence (the officer was quite insistent about this) and whether that will change anything. How do I avoid court proceedings and minimise the fine I will have to pay?
Is the fact they haven't already started prosecution a good sign?

Also are letters necessary? Can I request future correspondence to be done via email or some other online method?
You can find any number of threads on the forum which will set out how to go about reaching a settlement. The key to this is acknowledgement that you were in the wrong and showing contrition. And unless you are otherwise told by the train company, letters are necessary.
 

SECR 65

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2026
Messages
722
Location
East Sussex
In the data source I use (Railcam), the realtime data does not go back this far to check the departure time of the train.

If anyone else has a source which can go this far back, the train is GN service 2C29 11:24 Cambridge - Kings Cross.

-------------------

@vuth21 Would you be able to upload the original Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter they sent (with personal details redacted)?

I believe the online portal is one-time only??? But, given this letter, it seems you will need to reply by post, certainly for now. You could ask they email in future but I don't know if that would work.

For some examples of what to say see my post here with an extensive list of similar threads:
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,549
Location
LBK
I was running late and boarded the 12:22 train without a ticket.
You committed an offence by doing so and therefore you are guilty of it, and none of the facts are in dispute.

So why are you asking for evidence like the time you bought your own ticket?
 

vuth21

Member
Joined
23 May 2026
Messages
5
Location
Welwyn Garden City
In the data source I use (Railcam), the realtime data does not go back this far to check the departure time of the train.

If anyone else has a source which can go this far back, the train is GN service 2C29 11:24 Cambridge - Kings Cross.

-------------------

@vuth21 Would you be able to upload the original Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter they sent (with personal details redacted)?

I believe the online portal is one-time only??? But, given this letter, it seems you will need to reply by post, certainly for now. You could ask they email in future but I don't know if that would work.

For some examples of what to say see my post here with an extensive list of similar threads:
Original notice attached.

Thanks, I'll have a look and draft up a reply.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260523_182203.jpg
    IMG_20260523_182203.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20260523_182039.jpg
    IMG_20260523_182039.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20260523_181935.jpg
    IMG_20260523_181935.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 32

vuth21

Member
Joined
23 May 2026
Messages
5
Location
Welwyn Garden City
You committed an offence by doing so and therefore you are guilty of it, and none of the facts are in dispute.

So why are you asking for evidence like the time you bought your own ticket?
I was going to make the argument it was an honest mistake with no intent to dodge the fare by showing I immediately purchased a ticket and then ask for it to be waived for that reason but due to this being a slim possibility I'm just going to drop it.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,809
I was going to make the argument it was an honest mistake with no intent to dodge the fare by showing I immediately purchased a ticket and then ask for it to be waived for that reason but due to this being a slim possibility I'm just going to drop it.
Waste of time! Apologise, ask for a settlement, and get it dealt with.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,301
Important Context: I was previously caught for not having a ticket in 2023 or 2024 and paid a penalty fare.
The inspector mentioned this could cause a more severe reaction.

I was travelling from Welwyn Garden City to Finsbury Park on 04/03/26.

I was running late and boarded the 12:22 train without a ticket. I then immediately bought a ticket (on my phone) upon sitting down (which I didn't know was an offence at the time but I do now).
I don't have an exact timestamp but my email confirmation of the ticket was at 12:25. I do believe the train was also a min or two delayed so the ticket was bought in :wub:mins probably within 90-120 seconds.

A ticket inspector came round a few stops later and said there was a problem as I had bought my ticket after the train had left the station. I agreed and said I didn't think it was an issue at which point he stated it was an offence.

I was issued with a Notice of Intention to Prosecute a few days ago asking for my point of view. I probably should have simply stated my story but I wanted accurate information before responding so I wrote this on the online portal.

-----------
Hi,

I am happy and willing to cooperate with this process but please may I request the following evidence before providing my full response:
.The exact timestamp of my ticket
.The exact departure time of the train (as from memory it was a couple of minutes late)
.The inspector's report
.Any other relevant evidence

I would also appreciate an extension to the deadline so that I have time to provide my version of events upon receipt of the requested information.

Regards,
My Name
-----------

I think they may have interpreted this as cheeky and they sent the following letter.

View attachment 204709

Satisfactory outcome would obviously be them dropping it but I understand I'll probably have to pay a fine.

I'm worried however about my previous offence (the officer was quite insistent about this) and whether that will change anything. How do I avoid court proceedings and minimise the fine I will have to pay?
Is the fact they haven't already started prosecution a good sign?

Also are letters necessary? Can I request future correspondence to be done via email or some other online method?

Any help is appreciated.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I do have a railcard and it was applied to the ticket but I don't believe that's relevant
I would suggest Not a wise set of questions really unless you were planning to debate it in court.

It’s not relevant because the rule is to buy before you board and you know that you did not do that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I was going to make the argument it was an honest mistake with no intent to dodge the fare by showing I immediately purchased a ticket and then ask for it to be waived for that reason but due to this being a slim possibility I'm just going to drop it.
You could have asked that but we’ve never seen such a request agreed to iirc

GTR settlements are some of the lowest costs in the industry so best to focus on getting one really.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,143
Location
Wilmslow
In the data source I use (Railcam), the realtime data does not go back this far to check the departure time of the train.

If anyone else has a source which can go this far back, the train is GN service 2C29 11:24 Cambridge - Kings Cross.
Probably irrelevant: https://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Service?ServiceId=142372004

Wed 04 Mar 2026: 11:24 Cambridge to London Kings Cross​

Service Summary​

IDs:2C29 472C29MI04 W58619
Type:Ordinary Passenger
Operator:GN: Govia Thameslink Railway (Great Northern)
Power Type:EMU: Electric Multiple Unit
Sched Speed:100mph
Class(es):First and Standard

Service Calling Points​

#StationSch. Arr Actual Arr Sch. Dep Actual Dep
1Cambridge11:2411:26 2L
2Foxton11:3511:36 1L11:3511:37 2L
3Shepreth11:3711:39 2L11:3711:40 3L
4Meldreth11:4111:43 2L11:4111:43 2L
5Royston11:4511:47 2L11:4611:48 2L
6Baldock11:5411:56 2L11:5411:56 2L
7Letchworth Garden City11:5711:59 2L11:5712:00 3L
8Hitchin12:0212:04 2L12:0312:05 2L
9Stevenage12:0812:10 2L12:0912:11 2L
10Knebworth12:1212:14 2L12:1212:15 3L
11Welwyn North12:1612:19 3L12:1612:20 4L
12Welwyn Garden City12:2012:23 3L12:2212:24 2L
13Hatfield (Herts)12:2512:27 2L12:2612:27 1L
14Potters Bar12:3112:33 2L12:3212:33 1L
15Alexandra Palace12:4012:41 1L12:4112:41 RT
16Finsbury Park12:4512:44 RT12:4612:45 RT
17London Kings Cross12:5212:50 RT
 

vuth21

Member
Joined
23 May 2026
Messages
5
Location
Welwyn Garden City
Waste of time! Apologise, ask for a settlement, and get it dealt with.
Would be grateful if you (and anyone else reading) could have a look at the following and offer some pointers/advice.
The main thing I am debating is whether to include a reference to my previous offence or not draw attention to it. I believe mentioning it makes part of the letter ring a little untruthful and that I haven't learnt my lesson (despite trying my best to correctly follow the rules).

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute dated 18th May 2026, Reference: GTREM

On 4th March, I was approached by a ticket inspector and was unable to present a valid ticket due to purchase after boarding the train.

I sincerely apologise for this incident.
This was poor judgement on my behalf and I deeply regret the actions I took on the day.
I now realise the significance of my actions and understand the extent of the losses incurred by the rail industry which negatively affects both rail companies and fellow travellers.

I have since (and will continue to) ensured that I always travel with a valid ticket as evidenced by my later journeys. This will certainly never happen again.

I would be very grateful if this matter could be settled without the need of court action. I am happy to pay the company's administrative costs regarding this matter

Thank you,

Regards,

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also would like opinions on whether I should mention and apologise for my initial response detailed above
 

SECR 65

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2026
Messages
722
Location
East Sussex
Would be grateful if you (and anyone else reading) could have a look at the following and offer some pointers/advice.
The main thing I am debating is whether to include a reference to my previous offence or not draw attention to it. I believe mentioning it makes part of the letter ring a little untruthful and that I haven't learnt my lesson (despite trying my best to correctly follow the rules).
IMO don't mention it.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute dated 18th May 2026, Reference: GTREM

On 4th March, I was approached by a ticket inspector and was unable to present a valid ticket due to purchase after boarding the train.

I sincerely apologise for this incident.
This was poor judgement on my behalf and I deeply regret the actions I took on the day.
I now realise the significance of my actions and understand the extent of the losses incurred by the rail industry which negatively affects both rail companies and fellow travellers.

I have since (and will continue to) ensured that I always travel with a valid ticket as evidenced by my later journeys. This will certainly never happen again.

I would be very grateful if this matter could be settled without the need of court action. I am happy to pay the company's administrative costs regarding this matter

Thank you,

Regards,

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also would like opinions on whether I should mention and apologise for my initial response detailed above
I would also say don't mention it.

Others may have different views.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,809
Also would like opinions on whether I should mention and apologise for my initial response detailed above
No, you should address the incident you have been asked about and nothing more.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,130
It’s a bit of an odd reply as the third paragraph implies that you had the intention not to pay the fare.

Why dont you simply say that you didn’t realise that you needed to buy a ticket before boarding, and there was to intention to avoid payment as evidenced by the fact that you bought immediately on boarding. But you now know, so won’t do it again.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,301
It’s a bit of an odd reply as the third paragraph implies that you had the intention not to pay the fare.

Why dont you simply say that you didn’t realise that you needed to buy a ticket before boarding, and there was to intention to avoid payment as evidenced by the fact that you bought immediately on boarding. But you now know, so won’t do it again.
I agree that amending it along these lines isa good idea.
 

johnny_t

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2018
Messages
163
It’s a bit of an odd reply as the third paragraph implies that you had the intention not to pay the fare.

Why dont you simply say that you didn’t realise that you needed to buy a ticket before boarding, and there was to intention to avoid payment as evidenced by the fact that you bought immediately on boarding. But you now know, so won’t do it again.
Agreed. The offence here is technical, rather than moral, so no need for too much self-flagellation
 

aba

New Member
Joined
11 Jul 2024
Messages
1
Location
Romford
Maybe, although I am still wondering how the OP got on to the platform at Welwyn Garden City, a station that has ticket gates

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Did you received Any outcome
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Did you received Any outcome
Please start your own thread of you are need of assistance and forum members will be happy to assist. Experience has taught us that every case is different, however similar they might appear to be at first, and discussing more than one case in a thread causes confusion.
 

vuth21

Member
Joined
23 May 2026
Messages
5
Location
Welwyn Garden City
Thanks to all who helped.

I received today an out-of-court settlement for £68.90 which I have paid.
Happy as the settlement seems significantly lower than what I was expecting from other threads but maybe I was just not looking at the correct things.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,143
Location
Wilmslow
No, that looks like a good outcome for you, and for less than is often requested as you say.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,301
K
Thanks to all who helped.

I received today an out-of-court settlement for £68.90 which I have paid.
Happy as the settlement seems significantly lower than what I was expecting from other threads but maybe I was just not looking at the correct things.
Keep your proof of payment and keep that long term just in case you need it.
 

Top