So a mate has just had a letter through the door saying he is being taken to magistrates court for an incident that happened a few weeks back.
He bought a return ticket on the Saturday but missed the last train home. Mistake number one.
He then get the train home on Sunday without buying a ticket. Mistake number two.
When approached by a ticket officer, he then gave the incorrect boarding station (presumably to reduce the amount he would have to pay), and when questioned whether cctv would back this up, confirmed that it would. Mistakes number 3 and 4.
At some point he tried to pay for his ticket plus penalty fare, but this offer was refused.
This all surprises me as he is the most by the book, law abiding person I know. I still cannot believe that he did this, but I guess the court summons is proof enough.
He knows he's been very stupid, is not pointing fingers at anyone other than himself and is absolutely terrified as he has never been in trouble before. I'm not expecting any sympathy but can anyone advise what is likely to happen or what his options are?
He bought a return ticket on the Saturday but missed the last train home. Mistake number one.
He then get the train home on Sunday without buying a ticket. Mistake number two.
When approached by a ticket officer, he then gave the incorrect boarding station (presumably to reduce the amount he would have to pay), and when questioned whether cctv would back this up, confirmed that it would. Mistakes number 3 and 4.
At some point he tried to pay for his ticket plus penalty fare, but this offer was refused.
This all surprises me as he is the most by the book, law abiding person I know. I still cannot believe that he did this, but I guess the court summons is proof enough.
He knows he's been very stupid, is not pointing fingers at anyone other than himself and is absolutely terrified as he has never been in trouble before. I'm not expecting any sympathy but can anyone advise what is likely to happen or what his options are?