• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket, train cancelled, decide not to travel - refund policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
If one or more of your booked trains on an Advance ticket is cancelled, and waiting for the next one would render your journey pointless so you decide not to travel, or make alternative arrangements, can you get a full refund for the unused ticket?

I'm not currently in that situation so can't give an example, but with the forthcoming new rules it got me wondering what the situation is now, and whether it will be the same post-changes.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
Current situation is you can obtain a fee free refund due to the disruption and I expect this to still remain the same based on the new conditions too.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,673
Location
LBK
If one or more of your booked trains on an Advance ticket is cancelled, and waiting for the next one would render your journey pointless so you decide not to travel, or make alternative arrangements, can you get a full refund for the unused ticket?

I'm not currently in that situation so can't give an example, but with the forthcoming new rules it got me wondering what the situation is now, and whether it will be the same post-changes.
You would be entitled to a full refund from the retailer. The same will apply after the changes.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Thank you, that's useful to know.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Would you claim from the operator or the retailer?
 
Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,992
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Thanks, that's what I suspected but it's good to see it in writing. Presumably the retailer would check that the service you claim was cancelled actually was, and that your ticket wasn't scanned or used to exit the barriers at another time.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,293
Location
North West
I faced a dilemma when my outbound train in October was cancelled, and in my heart I lost interest in my day out as I was due to miss out on 2 hours in my area. I shall explain.

To vary my trains and ride Warrington's Own Buses route reaching Widnes, I had an Advance ticket Stockport - Widnes, but for the variety my return Advance was Warrington Bank Quay - East Didsbury.

I was 99.9% certain that if I gave up, EMR would reimburse me but TfW would not.

In terms of buses, I kept to areas near enough to Warrington town centre once I got there, so did still ride my intended variety of buses.

Had my return journey been with EMR, I wonder whether I could have sought a refund for both Advances on account of the outbound train being heavily delayed?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,816
Location
UK
I faced a dilemma when my outbound train in October was cancelled, and in my heart I lost interest in my day out as I was due to miss out on 2 hours in my area. I shall explain.

To vary my trains and ride Warrington's Own Buses route reaching Widnes, I had an Advance ticket Stockport - Widnes, but for the variety my return Advance was Warrington Bank Quay - East Didsbury.

I was 99.9% certain that if I gave up, EMR would reimburse me but TfW would not.

In terms of buses, I kept to areas near enough to Warrington town centre once I got there, so did still ride my intended variety of buses.

Had my return journey been with EMR, I wonder whether I could have sought a refund for both Advances on account of the outbound train being heavily delayed?
The issue is not whether you used multiple TOCs but rather that your Advances were to and from different stations. As such it might be suggested that they didn't amount to a return journey.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,293
Location
North West
The issue is not whether you used multiple TOCs but rather that your Advances were to and from different stations. As such it might be suggested that they didn't amount to a return journey.
Admittedly my train to Widnes was passing Warrington (Central), but you raise an interesting point.

This suggests that travelling into Warrington Central but back from Warrington Bank Quay, even to/from the same home station, could have prevented such a claim on the Advance for my journey back home from being accepted.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,816
Location
UK
Admittedly my train to Widnes was passing Warrington (Central), but you raise an interesting point.

This suggests that travelling into Warrington Central but back from Warrington Bank Quay, even to/from the same home station, could have prevented such a claim on the Advance for my journey back home from being accepted.
I think that would have been fine. The question is essentially whether it's booked (or capable of being booked) as one return journey search rather than two separate searches added to the basket.

A refund for an abandoned journey is, in any case, claimed from the retailer rather than the operator.
 

317 forever

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
3,293
Location
North West
I think that would have been fine. The question is essentially whether it's booked (or capable of being booked) as one return journey search rather than two separate searches added to the basket.

A refund for an abandoned journey is, in any case, claimed from the retailer rather than the operator.
I am pleased for simplicity to have gone ahead with the day out.

As it is, I did buy both tickets together at the same time - on the EMR website- and even received 2 combined emails with them both (the first the itinerary and the second with the e-tickets). I'd understand people in my shoes who did give up the day out hoping the TOC would classify it as a day out. But, I do take on board that this is not guaranteed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top