• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adequate waiting room at Manchester Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
397
Location
Greater manchester.
It doesn't have the importance of Piccadilly - no London trains, no cross country from the South, no Scottish services - but it's still an key node for TransPennine which aren't just turn up and go trains.
I would say a Transpennine train running at 15 minute intervals, Is a turn up and go service- Especially for Huddersfield and Leeds.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
I would say a Transpennine train running at 15 minute intervals, Is a turn up and go service- Especially for Huddersfield and Leeds.
When it can take 15 minutes to coax the QR code readers to accept your e-ticket, there's no such thing as turn up and go... :D

The frequency is, but the number of people on Advance fares means most people are after a specific train. Victoria certainly justifies better facilities.
Indeed, a lot of TPE passengers are on advance tickets. And even though when I'm travelling through on a Football Saturday with an off-peak return, I never leave arriving for an intended service until the last minute, trains can get really busy when things go pointy bits up or there's TRU work taking place.
 

Efini92

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,137
There aren't but there is usually a manual check to get to the bridge.

I seem to recall there is a sneaky way to bypass the gateline (which I won't post, partly because it is not helpful to have it public, and partly because I just know of it and haven't used it) in some circumstances, though. I expect they very occasionally block it and prosecute people like they do with the similar one at Victoria though.
There is when it works, but like the travelators, it always seems to be broken.
 

M60lad

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
1,590
I know people are commenting on Trans Pennine Express using Victoria but what you've got to remember is that the only or one of the reasons why Trans Pennine Express use Victoria rather than Piccadilly these days is so that they are not crossing the throat of Piccadilly to/from Platform 13/14 which is what they used to in the past.

The only Trans Pennine Express's that use Piccadilly now are the Manchester Airport's which arrive via Victoria and the terminating services via Stalybridge.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
The only Trans Pennine Express's that use Piccadilly now are the Manchester Airport's which arrive via Victoria and the terminating services via Stalybridge.
Don't TPE services between Cleethorpes and Liverpool Lime Street not use Manchester Piccadilly? Moot point as to whether using platforms 13/14 at Man Piccadilly is a superior experience for passengers than, say, platforms 3/4 at Manchester Victoria.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Don't TPE services between Cleethorpes and Liverpool Lime Street not use Manchester Piccadilly? Moot point as to whether using platforms 13/14 at Man Piccadilly is a superior experience for passengers than, say, platforms 3/4 at Manchester Victoria.

Both are probably equally grim in their own ways, but at least Piccadilly has decent general facilities.
 

M60lad

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
1,590
Yes the Cleethorpes services do use Piccadilly but they don't have to cross the throat of Piccadilly to get over to Ardwick, all you need is something that is due to cross the throat to be late and it used to delay other services using Piccadilly.
 

Ant158

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
202
Don't TPE services between Cleethorpes and Liverpool Lime Street not use Manchester Piccadilly? Moot point as to whether using platforms 13/14 at Man Piccadilly is a superior experience for passengers than, say, platforms 3/4 at Manchester Victoria.
There are also the Scottish Transpennine services from Piccadilly that don’t serve Victoria
 

Tezza1978

Member
Joined
22 May 2020
Messages
314
Location
Warrington
Facilities aren't good enough at Victoria. Headed there today as had a meeting in Salford this afternoon and all toilets (the only set available) fenced off as "out of order". Simply not good enough for a station of this size.
 

Foxcover

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2015
Messages
200
Facilities aren't good enough at Victoria. Headed there today as had a meeting in Salford this afternoon and all toilets (the only set available) fenced off as "out of order". Simply not good enough for a station of this size.
Generally it’s getting that ‘don’t care’ feel it used to have. I nearly missed a Liverpool-bound train twice there recently
- one a few weeks ago when the usual unhelpful gateline attendant refused to let me through with a paper *open* return ticket (issued earlier that day on the Wrexham to Bidston train) that unusually had printed ‘Manchester Piccadilly‘, insisting there was no such thing as ‘Manchester stations’ as a group.**
- and then yesterday when both the ticket collection machines were out of order - the same helpful gateline attendant told me to buy another online ticket - until another member of staff took us to another (unsignposted) working machine by the Greggs outlet.
**this was only resolved when the barrier finally recognised the ticket on about the tenth swipe. ‘There’ I said “You see? It’s valid‘. ‘No it’s not‘ he replied. ‘It says Piccadilly. Not Victoria.’

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I agree - the difference in the ambience/competence/helpfulness of the TPE onboard environment and the Victoria station environment you disembark into is stark. It’s just unprofessional and unhelpful the moment ypu hit the platform, with few exceptions. I’ve said here before that Northern shouldn’t be managing a station of this size - they don’t care, it shows, and people deserve better. And the sooner they sort out the gateline customer support the better.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
To be fair a ticket from Manchester Piccadilly isn't valid from Victoria unless it permitted break of journey and had a permitted route from Piccadilly via the Ordsall Chord. A Manchester Stations ticket would say that. What exactly was it? Probably issued in error, but I don't think the gateline staff can be blamed for that, it should probably have been queried at the time of issue.
 

Foxcover

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2015
Messages
200
To be fair a ticket from Manchester Piccadilly isn't valid from Victoria unless it permitted break of journey and had a permitted route from Piccadilly via the Ordsall Chord. A Manchester Stations ticket would say that. What exactly was it? Probably issued in error, but I don't think the gateline staff can be blamed for that, it should probably have been queried at the time of issue.
It was an open return Neston-Manchester, issued by the guard on the Wrexham-Bidston - a journey that would have been issued from a ticket office as ‘Manchester stations’ so not sure why it said Piccadilly.

At Victoria the gateline attendant sent me to the ticket office to confirm what he was saying.

The ticket clerk read the ticket, shook his head and said ‘why isn’t he accepting it, it’s valid at Victoria too. Go and tell him I told you that.’ So I returned, the attendant said ‘well he’s wrong’, and at that point I tried a final scan and the barrier opened.

Just to clarify it was an open return, not an advance - in which case I agree it would not have been valid.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It was an open return Neston-Manchester, issued by the guard on the Wrexham-Bidston - a journey that would have been issued from a ticket office as ‘Manchester stations’ so not sure why it said Piccadilly.

At Victoria the gateline attendant sent me to the ticket office to confirm what he was saying.

The ticket clerk read the ticket, shook his head and said ‘why isn’t he accepting it, it’s valid at Victoria too. Go and tell him I told you that.’ So I returned, the attendant said ‘well he’s wrong’, and at that point I tried a final scan and the barrier opened.

Just to clarify it was an open return, not an advance - in which case I agree it would not have been valid.
is it the case though that an open return to a Manchester station is not valid at another in the group? That goes against everything I understood and I grew up in Manchester!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It was an open return Neston-Manchester, issued by the guard on the Wrexham-Bidston - a journey that would have been issued from a ticket office as ‘Manchester stations’ so not sure why it said Piccadilly.

At Victoria the gateline attendant sent me to the ticket office to confirm what he was saying.

The ticket clerk read the ticket, shook his head and said ‘why isn’t he accepting it, it’s valid at Victoria too. Go and tell him I told you that.’ So I returned, the attendant said ‘well he’s wrong’, and at that point I tried a final scan and the barrier opened.

Just to clarify it was an open return, not an advance - in which case I agree it would not have been valid.

I've just checked brfares.com and for some reason there are duplicated fares on that flow, some to Manchester Piccadilly and some to Manchester Stns. This is plainly silly as they are the same price, but does mean your ticket was not strictly actually valid at Vic (unless there was a permitted route via Vic, as I note above).

The bookings office could however have endorsed it with a stamp and given it any validity they liked. Goodness knows why they did otherwise.

This really should be fixed. Perhaps a pricing manager reading here can do that for us! :)
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
845
Location
Preston
The gateline can't be that bad of a problem, if it was we would see more people bypassing it by running over the tracks between P1 and the tram platforms.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The gateline can't be that bad of a problem, if it was we would see more people bypassing it by running over the tracks between P1 and the tram platforms.

I don't think it is any worse than Picc in staffing terms, and certainly better than Avanti at Euston. The issue I more have with it is the way it is such a prominent feature in the station which helps give it the oppressive atmosphere I find the station to have.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top