• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional retailers to reopen from June 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,911
@Busaholic my daydream is to own a bookshop. I guess I'd need to financially secure to start with.
I used to live in Newark and there was a lovely independent bookshop called Strays that seemed to do quite well.
I refuse to buy books from Amazon and berate my father when he does.

Mind you, some of them don't help themselves. I went on Blackwell's website today. Clicked on "Fiction". And was presented with hundreds of pages of fiction books. No way of filtering by genre, bit I could filter on colour! Obviously just a generic e-commerce solution and ridiculously rubbish.
Needless to say I rapidly gave up!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
Was in WHSmiths today - first time since March, as all the ones near me have been closed for the duration. Lots of signs telling you to only pick up things you want to purchase, but of course no-one was actually checking that. I bought a magazine (and paid for it in cash :)
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
@Busaholic my daydream is to own a bookshop. I guess I'd need to financially secure to start with.
I used to live in Newark and there was a lovely independent bookshop called Strays that seemed to do quite well.
I refuse to buy books from Amazon and berate my father when he does.

Mind you, some of them don't help themselves. I went on Blackwell's website today. Clicked on "Fiction". And was presented with hundreds of pages of fiction books. No way of filtering by genre, bit I could filter on colour! Obviously just a generic e-commerce solution and ridiculously rubbish.
Needless to say I rapidly gave up!
Yes, there's a good way to come out with a small fortune from a bookshop, and that's to have ploughed a large fortune into it. Seriously, you could make a reasonable living from it so long as you devoted your every waking breath to it and you (a) had some luck, (b) your location didn't become too much of a disadvantage and (c) you build up a loyal following that doesn't get too seduced by Amazon, even though they may use it from time to time. And, to the most asked question over thirty years, no, I haven't personally read all the books in stock, but I have chosen every single one of them without succumbing to any pressure from publishers. So, poor and honest (well, one of those, anyway) :), but I wouldn't have changed much.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,700
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I think it will be a bloodbath, but there may be a silver lining. If a lot of chains contract or go bust that will moderate rent demands, and may prompt a long overdue business rates system change. Empty units may in those circumstances encourage a renaissance of independent shops and cafes. That would be nice.

Indeed. Other than the jobs, I don't see why anyone would mourn the chain store. It's a short period in history, and they aren't that good.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,700
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Was in WHSmiths today - first time since March, as all the ones near me have been closed for the duration. Lots of signs telling you to only pick up things you want to purchase, but of course no-one was actually checking that. I bought a magazine (and paid for it in cash :)

I'm surprised WH Smuggs closed, as aren't they technically a newsagent?
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
I think it will be a bloodbath, but there may be a silver lining. If a lot of chains contract or go bust that will moderate rent demands, and may prompt a long overdue business rates system change. Empty units may in those circumstances encourage a renaissance of independent shops and cafes. That would be nice.

There's a whole sequence of events there that will not happen overnight. There's little doubt many stores will close permanently, and this will lead to a lot of job losses, which in turn will further slow the economy and into recession. As a result there will be huge pressures on local & central governments meaning business rate cuts might not be possible for a while, because entering a recession period isn't the best time to be starting a small business. So expect a lot of empty shops for some time to come.

I just thank God I've retired from the book trade now. The idea of providing the space at my expense to display a load of books which, once fingered, have to go into quarantine, knowing that the looker, if interested in buying it, will try and save themselves a quid by ordering from Amazon (i.e. the recent norm) is as appealing as , well, to be given a clean bill of health by Mike Hancock. I always thought bookshops that put up notices saying 'browsers welcome' were being disingenuous at best and idiots at worst.

I just don't see how it will work for any length of time, authors will not be happy for their books to be constantly removed from the shelves, and customers are not going to enjoy the experience of book browsing whilst being followed around by staff in hazmat suits carrying lead-lined boxes* to contain any books "infected" by said customers....

(*OK slight exaggeration but you get the point!)
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,700
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
This putting away of stock seems a bit silly to me. Just sanitise before and after each shop, and don't wear any clothes purchased for a few days - that would seem enough, surely? People seem to be working on the basis that it can pass the skin - it can't.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
I'm afraid I've already lost some business to WH Smiths, having had my magazines home delivered.

I'm hoping Burger King will reopen soon though.
 

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
943
I'm still surprised that the likes of Costa, Burger King and Gregg's haven't opened yet despite been allowed to trade for takeaway custom ( in my town anyway they're closed ) so ironic many non essential shops re opening from tomorrow but these still closed!!!
 

Scrotnig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2017
Messages
593
I'm still surprised that the likes of Costa, Burger King and Gregg's haven't opened yet despite been allowed to trade for takeaway custom ( in my town anyway they're closed ) so ironic many non essential shops re opening from tomorrow but these still closed!!!
Greggs are an oddity. They announced a trial reopening of 20 stores, then scrapped it, and have only made vague, non-committed updates since.

It's as if they've decided to sacrifice their business. Maybe they are too worried about legal action if anyone dies after catching the virus through going to one of their shops...not that you could ever prove that was where you caught it. It makes no sense.

Greggs have also been quietly closing shops permanently. The one near me initially had a sign saying closed due to the virus situation. Then the shutters came down. Then last month the signage was removed. Seems very odd.

At this point I can only assume the company is in no great hurry to trade again any time soon.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
There is a sign on the Greggs in City Road in Sheffield saying it is opening tomorrow.
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,688
Location
Seaford
Greggs are an oddity. They announced a trial reopening of 20 stores, then scrapped it, and have only made vague, non-committed updates since.

It's as if they've decided to sacrifice their business. Maybe they are too worried about legal action if anyone dies after catching the virus through going to one of their shops...not that you could ever prove that was where you caught it. It makes no sense.

Greggs have also been quietly closing shops permanently. The one near me initially had a sign saying closed due to the virus situation. Then the shutters came down. Then last month the signage was removed. Seems very odd.

At this point I can only assume the company is in no great hurry to trade again any time soon.

Greggs operate small units with galley kitchens. Their pricing structure is low value/high volume, and it was common to see queues snaking back outside their outlets, pre-virus. Their food range has grown in size, over the years, which adds complexity in preparation.

Greggs are keen to re-open, but the challenges they face with social distancing (staff and customers) are just about the hardest on the high street.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
I'm still surprised that the likes of Costa, Burger King and Gregg's haven't opened yet despite been allowed to trade for takeaway custom ( in my town anyway they're closed ) so ironic many non essential shops re opening from tomorrow but these still closed!!!

Both of these near me are open now. Costa is operating as a takeaway, and Burger King have had the drive through open for a few weeks now. I've used both.

The BK was originally very busy, with queues snaking around the car park and out onto the street. Yesterday when I went past, the Macdonalds opposite had a queue a mile long but there were only a couple of cars waiting for BK.

Costa had extensive distancing measures for customers, but the four staff didn't seem to care about staying 2m apart.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
Was in WHSmiths today - first time since March, as all the ones near me have been closed for the duration. Lots of signs telling you to only pick up things you want to purchase, but of course no-one was actually checking that. I bought a magazine (and paid for it in cash :)
The store in York has been open for the duration but on reduced hours. The fact that it incorporates a post office was probably significant.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
This putting away of stock seems a bit silly to me. Just sanitise before and after each shop, and don't wear any clothes purchased for a few days - that would seem enough, surely? People seem to be working on the basis that it can pass the skin - it can't.

My Wife has worked that way for years ! a squirt after almost everything when out shopping ! as she quite rightly pointed out back in Feb/March it is not only this virus you can catch from touching things, all manner of nasties lurk !
Just the the World has gone overboard with this, and distancing and squirting are seen as the be all and end all ! as for face covering, how many years ago was the catch phrase 'Coughs and Sneezes spread diseases' ? and we have npt worried about coverings til now.
I recall it on 'The Blood Donor' with Tony Hancock (June 1961)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
Both of these near me are open now. Costa is operating as a takeaway, and Burger King have had the drive through open for a few weeks now. I've used both.

The BK was originally very busy, with queues snaking around the car park and out onto the street. Yesterday when I went past, the Macdonalds opposite had a queue a mile long but there were only a couple of cars waiting for BK.

Costa had extensive distancing measures for customers, but the four staff didn't seem to care about staying 2m apart.

We could do with some of these eateries opening in the towns, not just out in the middle of nowhere.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
They are in the centre of a town, and on a retail park... Not sure if BK and Costa have many outlets in the middle of nowhere.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
They are in the centre of a town, and on a retail park... Not sure if BK and Costa have many outlets in the middle of nowhere.
I used to be a regular at my local, small Costa, which tried to operate as a takeaway for a few days after the cafe had to close, but found it impossible to operate effectively. I ran into the manageress a few days ago, and asked what prospects of reopening? She said it all looked very bleak, with a combination of the 2m social distancing and the relative smallness of the unit militating against any prospect of imminent reopening: the few chairs/tables outside weren't really of any use because two thirds would have to go, and the open, next-to-the-sea location of these meant they were out of action most of the time anyway, with wind and rain being the main factor.
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,348
I took out a six month digital subscription to the Railway Magazine when all this started, as the newsagent in my town who kept a good selection of railway magazines closed and both branches of W H Smith in Leeds city centre did likewise. I think the reason given was that they wanted to ensure that the Post Office branches could be staffed, but it did mean that to my knowledge the only place in Leeds selling railway magazines was Morrisons.

The coffee chains could have stayed open for takeaway but their business model is probably based at least in part on large numbers of office workers in the morning who were suddenly working from home.

My local independent bookshop (the Grove in Ilkley) is reopening tomorrow with limited numbers allowed, hand sanitiser and baskets. I'll probably head over next weekend as I get paid on Friday.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
My experience today was that Boots had hand sanitisers at the entrance (very sensible IMHO) but in Marks & Spencers, people were touching clothes and putting them back. Admittingly, I had to take 2 pairs of trousers off the hanger rail and touch them in order to see the size on the label (as it wasn't on the hanger). I did put one pair back as the leg length was too long but the other pair was ok and I bought them. But other people were touching clothes too and putting them back
 

Scrotnig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2017
Messages
593
One of the Prets was open in Reading along with a stupid one-way system in the shopping mall... policed by "helmeted" security staff. Is this going to become the "norm" as shopping centres open up proper tomorrow?
Yes. There is now a huge army of jobsworth types wearing yellow vests, who are now able to realise their life's ambition - being paid to boss people around with trivial, pettifogging rules. And the public will meekly put up with it like the sheep they are.
 

Ianigsy

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2015
Messages
1,348
Most people will also wash newly-bought clothes to get the creases and stock room smell out. By their nature, books are porous and absorb oils and moisture from the skin.
 

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
The store in York has been open for the duration but on reduced hours. The fact that it incorporates a post office was probably significant.

Yes. that’s probably it. Ely (no post office) has been closed for the duration, as I think has the one in Cambridge.

Bit surprised that the station ones at Cambridge and Norwich also seem to have been closed the whole time, but then again the Cambridge one is extremely unreliable at being open at the best of times.
 

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
Yes. There is now a huge army of jobsworth types wearing yellow vests, who are now able to realise their life's ambition - being paid to boss people around with trivial, pettifogging rules. And the public will meekly put up with it like the sheep they are.

As I’ve said before, it seems that we should expect all public life now to be like an airport security line - full of arbitrary, authoritarian rules. Problem is that you put up with that at an airport, reluctantly, because you have to. You don’t need to in order to buy a t-shirt and a coffee, as we’ve all learned over the last three months.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
One of the Prets was open in Reading along with a stupid one-way system in the shopping mall... policed by "helmeted" security staff. Is this going to become the "norm" as shopping centres open up proper tomorrow?
Yes, the new 'norm' I'm afraid, and not just in those shopping malls which are in effect private property. I live on a tertiary shopping street in a small town, and, overnight last night, arrows were stencilled (?) on to our pavements indicating you should use one in one direction, and the opposite in another, to be 'policed' from tomorrow by individuals recruited by the local BID, so all the poor devils that are forced to pay this 2% business levy on their shops will be forced to pay for these individuals harassing their possible customers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top