• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adding a Senior railcard to Oyster - tube stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cell2025

Member
Joined
28 Jul 2025
Messages
147
Location
LEEDS
Hi.

I have spent a fair deal of time searching for previous topis, but the ones I found were either closed for further discussion or ancient. Apologies if I've overlooked the obvious.

I have read the advice on TFL site re adding a Senior Railcard and note that you can add them as follows:

I won't be going near the overground, and the Elizabeth Line stations tend to be outside the centre and in the main closed on Sundays, which is when I;ll need to add it.

I don't know what an Oyster ticket stop is, and when it says 'tube', what does it mean, given that in my experience most stations no longer have ticket windows.

As I say, apologies if I'm raising the Titanic here but I have tried to find relevant threads explaining what ticket stiops are and what tube stations will be able to help.

I'll be arriving at KX from Leeds, by the way.

Thanks for any help.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFN

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2017
Messages
464
Location
London
Tube is London Underground managed stations.
King’s Cross St Pancras where you’re arriving at would be perfect for it. Staff would link your Oyster to the railcard on the ticket machine.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,816
Hi.

I have spent a fair deal of time searching for previous topis, but the ones I found were either closed for further discussion or ancient. Apologies if I've overlooked the obvious.

I have read the advice on TFL site re adding a Senior Railcard and note that you can add them as follows:

I won't be going near the overground, and the Elizabeth Line stations tend to be outside the centre and in the main closed on Sundays, which is when I;ll need to add it.

I don't know what an Oyster ticket stop is, and when it says 'tube', what does it mean, given that in my experience most stations no longer have ticket windows.

As I say, apologies if I'm raising the Titanic here but I have tried to find relevant threads explaining what ticket stiops are and what tube stations will be able to help.

I'll be arriving at KX from Leeds, by the way.

Thanks for any help.
Any underground station.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
In my experience the staff at Kings Cross St Pancras Underground station will be able to sort it for you.
 

ChrisC

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2018
Messages
2,267
Location
Nottinghamshire
I always get my Senior Railcard added to my Oyster Card at the TfL Visitor Centre within Kings Cross St Pancras Underground station. It’s on the right as you enter the tube station through the arches from St Pancras at the main Euston Road end of the station. The staff there have always been very quick and efficient and very friendly.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
I always get my Senior Railcard added to my Oyster Card at the TfL Visitor Centre within Kings Cross St Pancras Underground station. It’s on the right as you enter the tube station through the arches from St Pancras at the main Euston Road end of the station. The staff there have always been very quick and efficient and very friendly.
These are a good opportunity, although they used to have funny opening hours. There are only a few left other than this one too.
 

unsatisfied

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2025
Messages
34
Location
London
Both tube stations I tried have been able to add my railcard to my Oyster card. A member of staff scans their pass on any regular ticket vending machine, and if I recall correctly a screen pops up asking for their PIN, and from there they select the relevant option and make you scan your Oyster card. The first time I did this it asked me to create a password because I didn't have an online account. Then, they type in as many letters from your railcard as fit into the input box, and set the expiry date.

What impressed me the most was the TVM staff interface I never knew existed.
 

BVW

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
60
Location
53 miles west of Venus
I update my Oyster at Liverpool Street tube every three years as and when I renew my Disabled Railcard. The concourse staff have always been very helpful there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top