• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accidentally Used Expired Railcard (TPE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
13 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
Hi all,
New here, and looking for some advice.
I got the train from Northallerton to Hartlepool yesterday, with a change at Thornaby due to service disruptions. I accidentally paid for a railcard ticket, not realising my railcard expired at the end of August. When checking my ticket, I provided my Railcard when asked, and the TPE staff member noticed it was expired. We had a calm and amicable interaction (it was early in the morning, I apologised, explained I didn't know it had expired and we both agreed it was too early for either of us to want to deal with this kind of thing) and he took my details. He told me it would seem a lot more serious than it is and gave me a receipt with more info. I immediately purchased a new non-discounted ticket for my next train from Thornaby to Hartlepool and had it checked on that train with no problems.
I am happy to pay any fines that are sent my way, I'm the one who messed up and didn't check the expiry date after all. I just worry about possibly being prosecuted. I would rather see this as a learning experience to be more vigilant with expiry dates for any such schemes I sign up for in future. Any help, advice, etc would be really appreciated.
Thank you all.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BongoStar

Member
Joined
12 May 2024
Messages
178
Location
Twyford
More experienced members will come and offer useful advise. I can only add that, despite what the media tries to portray, the ToCs does not prosecute by default. You will always get an opportunity to present your story and depending on that, they will most likely offer you an out of court settlement. Key is to keep the engagement with them.

Have a read on other posts in this sub-forum for the type of queries asked and if possible, post a copy of any correspondence you have got so far - with all personal details redacted ofcourse.
 
Joined
13 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
More experienced members will come and offer useful advise. I can only add that, despite what the media tries to portray, the ToCs does not prosecute by default. You will always get an opportunity to present your story and depending on that, they will most likely offer you an out of court settlement. Key is to keep the engagement with them.

Have a read on other posts in this sub-forum for the type of queries asked and if possible, post a copy of any correspondence you have got so far - with all personal details redacted ofcourse.
It seems like they're likely to send me a letter about it, which I intend to respond to truthfully as soon as I get it. I'm keen to co-operate with them however necessary because I recognise it's due to my own mistake.
I don't have any correspondence so far, just the receipt the staff member printed that explains that I will recieve a letter from them and confirming my name, date of birth and address.
Thank you for contributing :)
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
@railcardexpire. Welcome to the forum. Have a feeling that you *may* get asked to stump up the full anytime day single fare for each and every journey made using a railcard discounted ticket since your old railcard expired in August. Assuming, of course, that there've been any.
 
Joined
13 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
@railcardexpire. Welcome to the forum. Have a feeling that you may get asked to stump up the full anytime day single fare for each and every journey made using a railcard discounted ticket since your old railcard expired in August. Assuming, of course, that there've been any.
There was one more journey, a return journey between York and Northallerton in September. I had both my tickets checked and one asked to see my Railcard but either they didn't see it was expired, or they saw it and let it slide but didn't notify me that it was expired. I don't travel by rail super often anymore, which is how I didn't notice the expiry. I don't mind paying extra for either of these journeys, but I am a little upset that the TPE staff member who saw my Railcard between York and Northallerton didn't say anything.
 

BongoStar

Member
Joined
12 May 2024
Messages
178
Location
Twyford
There was one more journey, a return journey between York and Northallerton in September. I had both my tickets checked and one asked to see my Railcard but either they didn't see it was expired, or they saw it and let it slide but didn't notify me that it was expired. I don't travel by rail super often anymore, which is how I didn't notice the expiry. I don't mind paying extra for either of these journeys, but I am a little upset that the TPE staff member who saw my Railcard between York and Northallerton didn't say anything.

How were the other tickets between railcard expiry and this trip purchased. Just trying to see what would come up if they investigate your purchase history. If it's an account with an authorised retailer, they can request access to all your past purchases.
 
Joined
13 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
How were the other tickets between railcard expiry and this trip purchased. Just trying to see what would come up if they investigate your purchase history. If it's an account with an authorised retailer, they can request access to all your past purchases.
I buy all my tickets through Trainline. I'm hoping since it's only happened twice, with a decent amount of time between each ticket purchase, and I have an extensive history of travelling on valid tickets with valid Railcards, it may be more obvious to them that it's an honest mistake.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,363
I buy all my tickets through Trainline. I'm hoping since it's only happened twice, with a decent amount of time between each ticket purchase, and I have an extensive history of travelling on valid tickets with valid Railcards, it may be more obvious to them that it's an honest mistake.
Keep a copy of / proof of the replacement thornaby - Hartlepool ticket you bought. That should help limit the sum they want for the journey commenced with an erroneous ticket.
 

BongoStar

Member
Joined
12 May 2024
Messages
178
Location
Twyford
While not required by regulations, you should keep the expired railcards to prove it you had at that time. It is for ToCs to prove you didn't have for your previous journeys, but nothing prevents them from using threatening language that leaves you with no choice but to prove your innocence, especially if you are expecting to settle this out of court.

Remember, they need to prove your guilt only once in court, which they easily can. So they use their leverage to extract as much as possible from those they catch.
 
Joined
13 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
Keep a copy of / proof of the replacement thornaby - Hartlepool ticket you bought. That should help limit the sum they want for the journey commenced with an erroneous ticket.
I have the e-mail receipt as well as the ticket still in my Trainline app. Will I need to attach proof of that purchase when I respond to the letter they'll eventually send?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,363
I have the e-mail receipt as well as the ticket still in my Trainline app. Will I need to attach proof of that purchase when I respond to the letter they'll eventually send?
It might help to attach it yes. Shows you acted immediately to put things right on your journey for example.

Obv you need to wait and see what they say/ask when you hear from them.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,363
Thank you for the help. I will update when I hear from them, hopefully I will have the chance to simply pay a fine.
It will probably be an out of court settlement that you’ll be seeking in your response to them. See other threads to get the gist. Essentially paying them what they consider you owe or they will prosecute you for travel without a valid ticket.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
To add to what has been said, Transpennine will write to you in the next few weeks saying that hey have received a report and are considering prosecuting. The letter will give you an opportunity to give your version of events which TPE will take into account when deciding how to proceed. As long as you co-operate with them you will almost certainly be offered an out of court settlement.

Expect the settlement to cost the outstanding fare at full Anytime rate plus an admin fee, typicaly £150. TPE will search your online ticket purchasing history and will want to factor in other instances of ticket purchased since the railcard expired.

When it arrives, post a copy of TPE's letter in this thread (with person details redacted) along with your draft reply and forum mmembers will proof read it for you.
 
Joined
13 Oct 2024
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
Hello all,
Thank you all for your help and advice. The matter is now resolved, thought I would update in case anyone is in the same boat I was and was getting very worried about potential prosecution.

This morning, I got a very to-the-point letter from TPE about my expired railcard. They hadn’t looked up my ticket history, so this was just about my journey from Northallerton to Hartlepool. They stated plainly that the matter could be settled if I paid the standard fare of £21.50, as well as covering £100 in costs. However, if paid within 21 days, the £100 would be reduced to £50, so a total of £71.50. I, of course, immediately paid the fee and this closed the case.

I’m grateful to everyone in the thread who remained calm while I was honestly freaking out, haha. Just goes to show that I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions. What happened to me was an honest but expensive mistake, definitely something to learn from in future. Thanks again!
 

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,493
Thank you for the feedback. You may wish to consider buying a new railcard before your next journey.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Thanks for updating us, as it help us to give helpful to others seeking our help in similar circumstances. This is a decent result int he circumstances.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top