Hi there.
For context, I’m 21 and moved to the UK two years ago and am currently a medical student at uni
I booked a return journey on Chiltern railways and on the return leg of the trip, I was asked to show my rail card and ticket. When I signed into my Railcard app, I found that my Railcard (16-25) had expired. When they checked my ticket, I had also bought the ticket under the wrong rail card (16-17).
At first I was confused with the issue at hand as English is not my first language and the officer was very polite and explained to me what I had done. I then apologized and offered to renew my Railcard on the spot and buy a new ticket as well with the correct card. However, the officer said that he would have to take my details. I didn’t realize this was a massive deal until he mentioned that I would be getting a letter saying I would be prosecuted. I then asked him if I had committed a crime and that I was very sorry. I was very polite and cooperative and the man was nice too but he said I would have to wait for the letter.
When I got home and did some research, I found that my Railcard had been expired for a few months and I bought the past few tickets on the wrong Railcard (the app settings on Trainline don’t change). I have then read through forums and looked online and am terrified that I am going to be prosecuted. I am willing to pay a fine but due to the history of my travel, I am worried I will be taken to court and imprisoned straight away.
This was a stupid mistake on my part and I had no idea that my Railcard had expired. When I first moved to this country my friend helped buy a Railcard for me and I did not know o would have to renew it. I also should have checked to not have bought the ticket on the wrong rail card. I am so torn over this and am worried my career will be ruined now due to a criminal record. I am willing to pay any fine I need to pay and am applying for jobs and saving up money so I can pay any fine or court fees (I am on student loan and am paying myself through university).
I am terrified, what do I do? I have not received the letter yet? Should I contact them before I get the letter? Should I ask a solicitor? Or should I just accept my fate of now being a criminal?
Edit: just counted on the Trainline app and I have used the wrong Railcard (16-17) to buy a ticket around 5-6 times in the past. im worried they would think i am purposely evading fares but i did not know my setting was on the 16-17 railcard option. it is completely my fault but it was a genuine mistake.
For context, I’m 21 and moved to the UK two years ago and am currently a medical student at uni
I booked a return journey on Chiltern railways and on the return leg of the trip, I was asked to show my rail card and ticket. When I signed into my Railcard app, I found that my Railcard (16-25) had expired. When they checked my ticket, I had also bought the ticket under the wrong rail card (16-17).
At first I was confused with the issue at hand as English is not my first language and the officer was very polite and explained to me what I had done. I then apologized and offered to renew my Railcard on the spot and buy a new ticket as well with the correct card. However, the officer said that he would have to take my details. I didn’t realize this was a massive deal until he mentioned that I would be getting a letter saying I would be prosecuted. I then asked him if I had committed a crime and that I was very sorry. I was very polite and cooperative and the man was nice too but he said I would have to wait for the letter.
When I got home and did some research, I found that my Railcard had been expired for a few months and I bought the past few tickets on the wrong Railcard (the app settings on Trainline don’t change). I have then read through forums and looked online and am terrified that I am going to be prosecuted. I am willing to pay a fine but due to the history of my travel, I am worried I will be taken to court and imprisoned straight away.
This was a stupid mistake on my part and I had no idea that my Railcard had expired. When I first moved to this country my friend helped buy a Railcard for me and I did not know o would have to renew it. I also should have checked to not have bought the ticket on the wrong rail card. I am so torn over this and am worried my career will be ruined now due to a criminal record. I am willing to pay any fine I need to pay and am applying for jobs and saving up money so I can pay any fine or court fees (I am on student loan and am paying myself through university).
I am terrified, what do I do? I have not received the letter yet? Should I contact them before I get the letter? Should I ask a solicitor? Or should I just accept my fate of now being a criminal?
Edit: just counted on the Trainline app and I have used the wrong Railcard (16-17) to buy a ticket around 5-6 times in the past. im worried they would think i am purposely evading fares but i did not know my setting was on the 16-17 railcard option. it is completely my fault but it was a genuine mistake.
Last edited: