• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accidentally booked e-tickets including Southport departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I just booked a load of tickets through Trainsplit, but realised too late that I forgot to change the default e-tickets to paper tickets, and one of them is departing from Southport, which I don't believe (unless things have changed) accepts e-tickets on the barriers, although obviously Trainsplit did let me include this one and has issued blanket e-tickets for the whole order.

I tried to cancel within the one hour time period but it only lets me select one, and then wants to know details of the replacement ticket I've bought, so I couldn't proceed that route.

Ideally I would like to cancel the whole order and start again but ironically my laptop for some reason dislikes all the servers I have (I'm on my other one, away from home) so I don't even know whether the email I drafted has reached Trainsplit. I will try emailing again on my phone but this is rather urgent as you only get an hour to cancel. HELP!

Edit: I tweeted Merseyrail and apparently the barrier staff at Southport will accept being shown the e-ticket if it's for a Northern train. Phew!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
Joined
16 Jan 2022
Messages
3,326
Location
London
The barriers may now accept e tickets anyways. They’ve replaced them with Vix barriers which do have scanners.

Regardless you have a valid ticket for travel. Even if it was for Merseyrail they should be accepting it, and in my experience are fairly good at doing so. It’s people attempting to travel on collection references the big issue was about.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
The barriers may now accept e tickets anyways. They’ve replaced them with Vix barriers which do have scanners.

Regardless you have a valid ticket for travel. Even if it was for Merseyrail they should be accepting it, and in my experience are fairly good at doing so. It’s people attempting to travel on collection references the big issue was about.

Oh okay, cheers. If anyone from Trainsplit is reading this please ignore my frantic emails, I can cope it's just that I was so annoyed with myself!
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
Northern, which is why it's presumably okay.
In that case you will not have any problems getting through the barrier at Southport to board the Northern service. I've done this many times at Southport and never had an issues being let through.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Edit: I tweeted Merseyrail and apparently the barrier staff at Southport will accept being shown the e-ticket if it's for a Northern train. Phew!
They have to accept them for any journey for which they are issued.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Well to wrap up the saga, the lovely team at Trainsplit did receive my email, and replied offering to change the tickets to paper ones. I hadn’t added them to my wallet so that was the perfect solution, tickets collected today at Lancaster station.:D
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
I do think as many people as possible should select e-tickets for Merseyrail stations where they are offered during booking. Constant pressure is needed to make them change their ways.
 

JBuchananGB

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2017
Messages
1,405
Location
Southport
I have travelled on e-tickets from Southport in the past. I recall when Northern had a sale on, and they weren't offering to fulfil them as paper. Just showed them at the barrier. But I usually opt for CCSTs and collect them from the MerseyRail ticket desk.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Well to wrap up the saga, the lovely team at Trainsplit did receive my email, and replied offering to change the tickets to paper ones. I hadn’t added them to my wallet so that was the perfect solution, tickets collected today at Lancaster station.:D
Don't let the bullies win.
I do think as many people as possible should select e-tickets for Merseyrail stations where they are offered during booking. Constant pressure is needed to make them change their ways.
I completely agree.

That said, according to recent reports from forum members, they have already changed their ways and no longer quibble over e-tickets. But I agree that people should get them wherever possible and put this to the test. If Merseyrail staff are up to no good, then the matter needs to be reported, escalated and dealt with. People should not feel intimidated by gateline staff who don't know how to behave.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
It wasn’t just the Southport possible complication, I’m afraid I’m one of those dinosaurs who still prefer CCST tickets regardless. Not least because of the risk of dropping my phone while fumbling about with luggage at the barriers.

Spotted a new poster today in the platform 3 waiting room at Lancaster, depicting someone showing a phone with zero battery and saying “my phone just died“, overwritten with a large warning “£100 fine, you MUST have a valid ticket”. Hardly gives you a warm glow about e-tickets.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,283
Spotted a new poster today in the platform 3 waiting room at Lancaster, depicting someone showing a phone with zero battery and saying “my phone just died“, overwritten with a large warning “£100 fine, you MUST have a valid ticket”. Hardly gives you a warm glow about e-tickets.
I think my TOC should display some of these posters where I work because we frequently get chancers kicking off when ticket barrier staff correctly refuse to let them leave the Station when they claim they have an electronic ticket but their phone has conveniently run out of battery.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
It wasn’t just the Southport possible complication, I’m afraid I’m one of those dinosaurs who still prefer CCST tickets regardless. Not least because of the risk of dropping my phone while fumbling about with luggage at the barriers.

Spotted a new poster today in the platform 3 waiting room at Lancaster, depicting someone showing a phone with zero battery and saying “my phone just died“, overwritten with a large warning “£100 fine, you MUST have a valid ticket”. Hardly gives you a warm glow about e-tickets.
I will reply to these fallacies in the appropriate thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top