Last i heard still at Bishops Lydeard, problem with Road Authorities allowing the road transport because of the weight.
Which 47 are we talking about?
Last i heard still at Bishops Lydeard, problem with Road Authorities allowing the road transport because of the weight.
I don't know about other regions, but class 20s continued to be operated singly - in either direction - on the Scottish Region until well into the 1980s, both on trip freight workings and occasionally on passenger or mixed trains, such as Fort William-Mallaig in Summer when no heating was required.I believe that after early operations, at a time when steam locomotive experience was usual, the Class 20 ceased to be operated singly, and was always used outside depots in pairs, nose-to-nose, cabs outermost. I seem to recall it having been a union issue that led to this.
The 'West Coast driver" was actually employed full time with a FOC at the time and knew the road intimately. Don't go casting aspersions because someone might just shoot you down.I agree this is very worrying and reminds me of the Wotton Bassett incident with a West Coast Railway driver.
I did think about Galas but normally I believe the owner of a hired-in loco will send a representative who presumably is traction-competent?
Also, what happened to the 47 that the NYMR were meant to be hiring in from Somerset?
Also, what happened to the 47 that the NYMR were meant to be hiring in from Somerset?
Last i heard still at Bishops Lydeard, problem with Road Authorities allowing the road transport because of the weight.
D1661 / 47077. It's been ready to move since the summer, but the hauliers cannot get approval for the move by road. Movement by rail has been investigated, and AIUI it's currently hoped that it can be moved in January.Which 47 are we talking about?
D1661 / 47077. It's been ready to move since the summer, but the hauliers cannot get approval for the move by road. Movement by rail has been investigated, and AIUI it's currently hoped that it can be moved in January.
Not obviously from the photos, and in any case it was well clear of the level crossing; as the 20 wasn't attaching to it there was no need to go that far.Noting the comment the driver thought the Whitby train was further down the platform its not clear whether had that stopped shorter than normal.
Thing is, you say jt wouldn't happen on the mainline but hasn't it been stated the 20 went to Whitby and back with this driver? Now I know I know just semantics but although Whitby is a branch line it is still a mainline in the context of Alexl92's meaning of Mainline I.e. Network Rail.Is it normal for a driver to just jump in a class of loco they haven’t been trained on? I know it wouldnt be permitted on the mainline, but once you’re passed out on steam, can you drive any loco? Likewise diesel? Did his experience with the 37 (as an EE product of roughly the same era) allow him to drive the 20 on the NYMR?
I’m not sure how other railways operate but on where I volunteer that’s a strict no no. A driver needs to know the ins and outs of that class, where isolations cocks are, how to safely operate it and such things like that before you’ve even stepped foot into the drivers seat, once you’re competent with that you’re then assessed on the route by the track inspector and then signed off. Each loco behaves differently.Is it normal for a driver to just jump in a class of loco they haven’t been trained on? I know it wouldnt be permitted on the mainline, but once you’re passed out on steam, can you drive any loco? Likewise diesel? Did his experience with the 37 (as an EE product of roughly the same era) allow him to drive the 20 on the NYMR?
It does indeed say that the accident driver drove to Whitby and back to Grosmont with a Traction Inspector who was assisting him. The issue raised by the RAIB is that the Driver and TI had no record of competence of being permitted to drive the class 20 and the RAIB has quite rightly raised this issue as the train was driven on the national mainline network which is rather concerning.Thing is, you say jt wouldn't happen on the mainline but hasn't it been stated the 20 went to Whitby and back with this driver? Now I know I know just semantics but although Whitby is a branch line it is still a mainline in the context of Alexl92's meaning of Mainline I.e. Network Rail.
Given ORR’s current focus on heritage railways, I wouldn’t be surprised if the NYMR got a visit from the inspectors for a full audit.Hopefully the improvement notice has given NYMR a boot up the bum to get their house in order.
Im not aware of the signalling arrangements at Grosmont but its possible that the 20 needs to be well clear of the crossing to clear the track circuit thus clearing the signalling and releasing any gate locks on the crossing itself.Not obviously from the photos, and in any case it was well clear of the level crossing; as the 20 wasn't attaching to it there was no need to go that far.
Quite true, but the signals concerned, for departures towards Goathland, are only about 10m from the crossing gates.Im not aware of the signalling arrangements at Grosmont but its possible that the 20 needs to be well clear of the crossing to clear the track circuit thus clearing the signalling and releasing any gate locks on the crossing itself.
Did he retain his primary employment following the incident do we know?The 'West Coast driver" was actually employed full time with a FOC at the time and knew the road intimately. Don't go casting aspersions because someone might just shoot you down.
Did he retain his primary employment following the incident do we know?
He was prosecuted and got a suspended sentence. Stated that he wouldn't drive again.
![]()
2015 Wootton Bassett rail incident - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
At the trial, both WCRC and Cox pleaded guilty. WCRC were fined £200,000 plus costs of £64,000. The fine imposed was half of the maximum that could have been imposed. This was decided by Judge Peter Blair QC after he took mitigating circumstances into account.Cox was sentenced to four months imprisonment, suspended for eighteen months. He was also ordered to do 80 hours unpaid work. Cox's counsel stated in court that "he would never drive trains again".
If you considered it as a basic risk assessment of a Whitby to Pickering journey the vast majority of the hazards are actually on the heritage railway rather than the "mainline" ie conflicting moves, severe gradients, signalling etc, the "mainline" has a theoretical increased max speed of 30mph but the train is usually restricted to 25mph due to the lack of central door locking.Thing is, you say jt wouldn't happen on the mainline but hasn't it been stated the 20 went to Whitby and back with this driver? Now I know I know just semantics but although Whitby is a branch line it is still a mainline in the context of Alexl92's meaning of Mainline I.e. Network Rail.
If you considered it as a basic risk assessment of a Whitby to Pickering journey the vast majority of the hazards are actually on the heritage railway rather than the "mainline" ie conflicting moves, severe gradients, signalling etc, the "mainline" has a theoretical increased max speed of 30mph but the train is usually restricted to 25mph due to the lack of central door locking.
Isn't the line speed 30 mph Grosmont to Whitby? It's only 6 m 23 chains between the stations with 7 crossings of the River Esk.Sorry just to say the trains on the branch are not restricted to 25mph. The only restrictions are on some of the bridges but apart from that they do line speed. Same applies going to Battersby.
Never mind that, the railway in question has form for 'cutting corners ' in training (I'm specifically thinking of the character involved in the now infamous Stafford light engine SPAD a few years ago.) I'd dearly love to know if any of the names mentioned to RAIB were coincidentally similar to any of those named in the Stafford incident? Bearing in mind the Moors won't let loco owners drive their own locos etc at galas this is a real puzzler.
I would suggest you are the one casting aspersions at the moment.Don't go casting aspersions because someone might just shoot you down.
Not heard the one about the SPAD at Stafford, traction knowledge and someone passing themselves for driving? You must be the only person who doesn't know the full details of it. The name of the person involved is also common knowledge.I would suggest you are the one casting aspersions at the moment.
Where is the evidence of the railway having form for 'cutting corners'?