• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accessibility of Kings Cross Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTrainLady

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2022
Messages
8
Location
Hampshire
Has anyone been to Kings Cross Station recently? Is if wheelchair accessible? I’m getting sick and tired of going to stations that say they are accessible to find out that there is an exhibition or work on or some other reason why that day it’s not accessible and there is never anyone to call to check. I really what to go there for a Train Spotting trip but don’t want to get stuck.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,406
Location
The Fens
You have put this request in the London Underground part of the forum. Do you mean the Underground station or the main line station? If the latter I suggest you move your post to Infrastructure & Stations.

There was also a report on film work being undertaken at Kings Cross recently, see here:


Hopefully someone can tell you if that's all finished.
 

62484GlenLyon

Member
Joined
30 May 2021
Messages
296
Location
Royston
As far as the main line station is concerned - the filming work only affected access to platform 8 and only lasted a couple of days. The main concourse and the circulating area after passing though the ticket barriers remained clear for access to platforms 0 to 7. The main concourse can be very congested if there is any marketing or charity event taking place or a live music session but I have never seen these events cause any blockages or obstructions.

The toilet facilities are at ground level with level access from the main concourse and there are usually staff in the area if help is required. There is a wide range of catering outlets at ground level as well.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,406
Location
The Fens
I only found your introduction after I wrote my first response. I have a friend who uses what you call a rollator. I also have reduced mobility myself, though not as significant as you. I have seen for myself the challenges that rollator users face when travelling by train. I hope that you can find a way to make your trip with the minimum of stress and without wearing yourself out.

Do you have a plan for getting to and from Kings Cross that you are happy with, or do you have outstanding questions about the journeys? I try to avoid travelling between Kings Cross and Waterloo. Unfortunately some of my pre-pandemic options for avoiding that are not available at the moment.

And have you been to Kings Cross or any other major London terminal station before? Everything is very spread out at Kings Cross/St Pancras.

One other thing I'd suggest is to avoid Kings Cross during school holidays because of the Harry Potter fans.
 

BlueTrainLady

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2022
Messages
8
Location
Hampshire
Yes definitely avoiding it during school holidays! Since I have become disabled I haven’t been on the underground at all but I used to use it weekly but not been on it since COVID so not sure what it’s like. Only been as far as Waterloo in terms of London since my disability and Covid. Trying to do as much pre planning as possible
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,114
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Do you have a plan for getting to and from Kings Cross that you are happy with, or do you have outstanding questions about the journeys? I try to avoid travelling between Kings Cross and Waterloo. Unfortunately some of my pre-pandemic options for avoiding that are not available at the moment.
In theory, travelling on the Underground from Waterloo to Kings Cross shouldn't be too difficult....provided that you take the Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus and then the Victoria Line to Kings Cross. There is an easy, level cross-platform connection (roughly half-way along the platform) in both directions at Oxford Circus, so you just have to hope that the lifts are working at Waterloo and Kings Cross. You should be able to check that with Transport for London before starting your journey. If you can make it to Kings Cross it may be be worth trying to get across the road to St Pancras International to have a look at the Eurostar trains....as well as to admire the fantastic architecture and artworks. Good luck! :D
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Bear in mind that the Bakerloo line platforms at Waterloo are on a sharp curve, with the result that there is a large gap between the train and the platform, unless you get on or off the train at the single doors at the end of each carriage.

The gap could be an issue for someone with mobility problems.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top