This is unlikely to happen.
Perhaps. If it were affordable, would you be in favour?
We don't have to be, though. The central point of this discussion seems to me to be an insistence by certain people on 'things can never get better' outside of utopia.
Surely that is what peak/off peak fares do?
If there's evidence that they do, I'd be genuinely interested. But a necessary part of seriously implementing that would be that some people are going in at 0530 (which personally I'd sign up for on the spot) and some at 1000 - how are you going to explain that the former have to pay higher fares?
Is there really anywhere where people are clogging up trains who would actually ride buses rather but don't because of non integrated fare system? Must be quite rare. Any the other way round will probably just exacerbate railway overcrowding, so is pretty irrelevant to this discussion.
Dual systems without integration are naturally going to create inefficiency, so it's very relevant.
Who is doing the admiring?
I think this is very easily googleable, Japan's public transport being among the most commonly praised by the interested and casual visitors alike, and no doubt having won some award or other. Not knowing it in detail, I didn't want to pass comment, I just found it interesting.
I am old enough to have voted in 12 general elections. All of them have effectively been a referendum on whether to throw out the government. In those 12 elections, the government has been thrown out 4 times: 1979, 1997, 2010 and 2024. The most recent is a splendid example, in a multi party election 250 different constituencies found many different ways to throw out the government.
On the ballot paper, were you only asked whether you wished the government to be returned? If so, I'm sorry some of those twelve elections were in a fascist state, if not, you didn't actually vote in a referendum, effective or not.
The point being both that there are always multiple alternatives to the status quo in offer and that the latter isn't excused from arguing on its own behalf - in 1979, you may remember Jim Callaghan said he was taking his case to the country.