I agree that the head of state should be accountable and should also not have absolute power, but my concern is with a system whereby harm is done because the head of state is selected by populism, not merit. Otherwise, the outcome is the same: a bad head of state who makes bad decisions (and hence my comment that a system change is ultimately pointless, as it doesn't fix the underlying problem).
What decisions do you actually think a head of state makes? They make extremely few decisions in a constitutional presidency with prime minister as head of government. As I have explained three times now, in this system (the most common in Western democracies), a president is a sort of elected monarch. The Queen makes very few decisions of her own; she simply signs bills into law, dismisses or recalls parliament, acts as an international ambassador, and so on.
It's not so simple to say, "well, we can vote them out". Our current situation with party politics is showing that we're "forced" to vote for one party because the others are all "unelectable".
The problem with our situation is actually first past the post, which results in wasted votes, not in actually the concept of voting.
In any case, unelectable parties are usually the result of dumb or unpopular policies, or internal wrangling. With a president, you'd vote for an individual. They don't have any policies, because they don't head the government. They don't have internal wrangling, as they're not a party. It's a totally different kettle of fish to electing a government.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Precisely which monarch has 'absolute power'?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if the monarch would have an 8 foot stone tablet made and fail to declare it in their expenses .............
I think you misunderstood my post. I was illustrating that parliamentary government was better than absolute monarchy, because the poster I was responding to appeared apathetic about the concept of elected leaders.
PS: the monarch doesn't *have* to submit expenses for public scrutiny, for anything. In any case, the Labour Party wasn't expensing the tablet but simply was supposed to declare that they had spent money on it.