• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen to London trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
Hello everyone

I am trying to reserve seats on the 9:52am train from Aberdeen but there are no free seats in first or standard Friday 28th July

Surely the whole train can not be full ?

Any help would be great

Paul
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,602
It's always a busy train on a Friday, and obviously it's also the summer holidays throughout Britain, so trying to book for the entire route may be difficult. I can't see any available reservations on it on the 21st either, whereas there are some on the 27th.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,899
Location
East Anglia
It's also a dry train until Newcastle on a Friday. Just shows you how many offshore workers use this train. Often FAS from Dundee.
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Any train to and from Inverness and Aberdeen to/from London is always going to be full this time of year. I was on the 14:00 to Aberdeen (alighted at Edinburgh) today, and it was ram packed as usual. You're best off getting the ones which start from Edinburgh, as they're much quieter in both classes, in comparison.

My advice would be, if you can, go Glasgow Queen Street and London Euston. Guaranteed at least 2 seats to yourself on both journeys if you're there for the platforms being announced. Journey times are probably about the same as well. If you're definitely getting the 09:52, get there early and check the reservation levels on the departure boards just to be sure. Normally coach F has a couple seats lying spare as seen previously, although I can't really speak for the end of July. Given you're boarding at Aberdeen, you'll have plenty of time to find a seat before the train mobs up around Dundee.

Good luck :)
 
Last edited:

Suraggu

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
1,083
Location
The Far North
Hello everyone

I am trying to reserve seats on the 9:52am train from Aberdeen but there are no free seats in first or standard Friday 28th July

Surely the whole train can not be full ?

Any help would be great

Paul

This train is bad enough on a Friday but add the school holidays and it is probably VTEC's busiest train southbound.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,602
It's also a dry train until Newcastle on a Friday. Just shows you how many offshore workers use this train. Often FAS from Dundee.

There always used to be at least one stag or hen do in every carriage from Edinburgh to Newcastle as well. Used to be, well, interesting before it turned dry. I've never failed to get a seat from Edinburgh to London on it, though I've had to use untaken reserved seats and occasionally move about during the journey.
 

47271

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2015
Messages
2,983
If I needed to make this journey I'd start by selecting an Edinburgh to London train that I could get the best First Class value on, then I'd look at Standard on Scotrail Aberdeen to Edinburgh, and giving myself a decent connection time at Waverley.

If I didn't like the price then I'd retry routeing via Glasgow as Clansman says. First on Virgin, Standard on Scotrail and with a decent bit of time to make the connection.

I wouldn't touch that 0952 on a Friday at any time of year, it's got a terrible reputation.

Also remember that Fridays generally are busier and more expensive than the rest of the week, but I appreciate that you have to go when you have to go.
 

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
I would have thought that any seat reservation system could advise potential customers that 'the 0952 Aberdeen to London ' is either / 95% full ,to save the potential customer having to trawl through every carriage on the seating plan.
Maybe some info on the really popular trains, Virgin West Coast in my case, saying that certain Euston to Glasgow trains are very popular and early booking is advised . Such as last direct trains to Glasgow on a Saturday esp in the football season . I have had to stand more than once until first stop Warrington on a Saturday .
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
It is delay repay ticket so if they don't specify the journey we can look to change maybe head to Inverness to get that ?

Thanks guys great help
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
To be honest I don't know maybe someone does know but it was a journey issue last year and they send a ticket so not sure what they actually do send
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,515
Location
Yorkshire
To be honest I don't know maybe someone does know but it was a journey issue last year and they send a ticket so not sure what they actually do send
Ah so you've not got it yet?

Is it a free ticket from anywhere to anywhere?

They used to issue scratch cards which you could fill in (under East Coast), but I am not sure if they still do that anymore.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
If you must travel direct ABD KGX on that day get up early and use the 07:52, its empty on departure, busy at Edinburgh but just that we bit to early for the riggers, stags and hens. Sauce, used it more times than I care to rememember
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Ah so you've not got it yet?

Is it a free ticket from anywhere to anywhere?

They used to issue scratch cards which you could fill in (under East Coast), but I am not sure if they still do that anymore.

It was still scratchcards six weeks ago when I received one through the post.
 

badger1badger

Member
Joined
24 May 2010
Messages
574
Location
Leeds
Hi yorkie

I believe so but not sure till we get it if it states train times

They do ask start and end points thou
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Not dry on Saturdays, weekend service in first and quite busy but easier to a point to reserve.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top